Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Your first iBook

View Poll Results: Which of the iBook models was your first?
Poll Options:
The original iBook 15 votes (12.50%)
The initial iBook SE 3 votes (2.50%)
The iBook SE with Firewire 7 votes (5.83%)
The first iceBook (May 2001) 27 votes (22.50%)
A late-2001 iBook (500/600 MHz) 20 votes (16.67%)
The 12" or 14" iBook of January 2002 8 votes (6.67%)
A spring 2002 update (600/700 MHz) 30 votes (25.00%)
I don't have an iBook yet, but I'm hoping for one 7 votes (5.83%)
iBooks? Bah! 3 votes (2.50%)
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll
Your first iBook
Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2002, 11:22 AM

I seem to have a mild obsession with polls, but hey - they help stir up memories and let us look back at ourselves. Isn't that worthwhile now and then?

This time I'm wondering about the very first iBook you owned. Did you drop everything for the oppotunity to get one of the first clamshell models? Did you switch to the Mac with a dual-USB "iceBook" (as a lot of people seem to have done)? Or are you fussy and waiting for a G4 iBook?

Personally I don't have an iBook, but I'm hoping to get one on the day of or before MWSF in January. There's something appealing about having a full-fledged Mac which you can take most anywhere!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2002, 11:41 AM

I bought the first iBook, but traded it in a few weeks ago for the 700. I've loved both of them.

DrSpookles
Sep 3, 2002, 11:56 AM

Couple months ago, I bought the latest iBook700. I LOVE it, and am glad that I bought that model, as I've seen other iBooks really struggle with jaguar ...

I use it for just about everything. Email, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, iChat.. I like being able to "work" in bed, although it has not done a lot for my social life. I definitely spend more time on the 'net than I really ever have before.

It's actually my first mac. I had been a die-hard PC advocate (am still am for certain reasons). I play games and watch TV on my PC, but for everything else I stick with the mac
iChat/AOL: DJTcl

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2002, 05:57 PM

My first iBooks is the 12" 700 I bought back in July. It is my first Mac and since moving back to college my PC sits in the closet. I absolutely love this beautiful machine.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2002, 06:01 PM

I started with an original Blueberry model. If it had been about 5 weeks later, I would have had one with a 6GB hard drive, which would have extended its useful life by a few months.

However, my growing MP3 library and obsession with the beautifully small & portable "icebook" forced me to get a "late 2001" model with a 20GB HD and a Combo drive in December 2001. It's much easier to carry around, and I love it. The old Blueberry model holds a special place in my heart, though, as my first laptop. *sniff, sniff* I'm getting all teary-eyed now...

MartiNZ
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 04:25 AM

600MHz combo early 2002, missing the 700 by about a month , but I don't hold that against it. I would have quite liked one of the old form factor machines, especially a tangerine I think, but I didn't have the justification or the cash. I think that that old ruggedness and less-scratchiness is something really lacking from the icebooks, but that would be the only thing that is .

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2002, 08:57 AM

ive had 3 ibooks. a blueberry 300mhz ibook, a graphite 366 (pre firewire) that i had up until a couple weeks ago when i got a 700mhz 12.1" dual USB ibook.

though i love the clamshell design, i reeeeeally love my new ibook. lighter! faster! go!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 02:10 PM

I had one fo the first Tangerine iBooks. I kept it until about a year ago, when I sold it to a friend for his dad. I got an iBook/600/DVD in December and use that now. I really liked the tangerine, but the screen was too low-res (800x600) for OSX, and it was getting a bit slow despite having the RAM maxed out.

I'll keep this iBook/600/640MB RAM/DVD until it starts dragging on OSX, and then I'll sell it and move up again.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

JamesDP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2002, 03:53 PM

Just bought my very first over the weekend (first Mac ever, actually). 700MHz, 12.1", 640MB RAM, Airport, AppleCare (+ a 10GB iPod and a Mobility 1 case). Hasn't arrived yet though.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
ive had 3 ibooks. a blueberry 300mhz ibook, a graphite 366 (pre firewire) that i had up until a couple weeks ago when i got a 700mhz 12.1" dual USB ibook.

though i love the clamshell design, i reeeeeally love my new ibook. lighter! faster! go!
I bought the "Clamshell" Blueburry iBook right after AppleExpo 1999. I'm still using it for lite-work, but the CD-ROM drive door is un-lockable now. I use scotch tape to close the door. It is running Mac OS 9.2.2 Making it the only G3 Mac which don't have an OS X. I love the colourful clamshell design rather than the one Apple is offering now.

Kenneth

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 08:32 AM

I've had several portables, my first was a Wallstreet 233. Then I traded a Laserwriter IINTX for an old Luggable - original "Portable" backlit, w/ floppy and 20MB HD, sporting a smokin' 16MHz 68000. I still have the Luggable and a 5300c and a 1400c with video trouble. The last 2 are "dynamic picture frames" running some of my photos in a slideshow.

In April, I got my first iBook - 12"/combo/600/Airport and I love it.
It, my Oly E-10, Newton2100 and iPod are always with me.
I repainted the inside of the lid dark silver and it kinda looks like a baby TiBook, only more durable(and significantly slower)

Z

ed phelan
Sep 6, 2002, 02:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zac4mac:
[B]I've had several portables, my first was a Wallstreet 233.

I started with a Wallstreet too. Still have it, still use it. The iBook: bought a late 2001/600/12 incher and as my youngest would say: "love it to death". Looks great. Works great. A true joy to own.

All the best.
e

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2002, 10:16 AM

My wife bought my graphite iBook for me for Valentines Day and for graduating from grad school. I've really enjoyed my iBook the mobility. This is my 3rd mac. My first was a Centris 650, then a RevA iMac and now this iBook. I'm in the process of looking for a desktop but I'm not too sure I'll be getting one THIS Valentines Day!

My question is...when will the new ibooks go G4? With talk of the G5, eMacs and iMacs already being G4's when will the ibooks catch up?

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2002, 07:55 PM

The iBook isn't likely to go to the G4 all THAT soon, mainly because of battery life. Even the 12" iBook gets 5 hours of maximum life, and can get over 4 in normal use (and at normal power settings) according to at least one person I've spoken to. Moving up to a G4 could really cut that life down, as it draws more energy.

The G4 is also hotter, so you'd need either active cooling or an alloy like the Powerbook's titanium. I'm not sure those would work so well with the iBook's impression of a "warm and friendly" laptop.

I'm sure there will be a G4 iBook (unless the whole lineup moves to a different processor architecture). It'll just need to wait until the G4 can be put on a smaller - and hence cooler and more efficient - chip design.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2002, 09:29 AM

I bought the first icebook as soon as all of the kinks were worked out. It was everything I needed in a laptop. Still looks great, and works perfectly running 10.2.

skalie
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2002, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
I'll keep this iBook/600/640MB RAM/DVD until it starts dragging on OSX, and then I'll sell it and move up again.
Is that something that starts to happen?

iBook 600 dvd here btw, got it cheap 'cos it had the old 15 gig format.

My first Mac, last month my PC broke down and the iBook has filled the role admirably.

Probably wouldn't bother fixing the PC if it wasn't for the archieves.

Forum Links
Forum Rules