Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 update imminent?

iMac G5 update imminent?
Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 09:04 PM

Thanks to AppleInsider for the news.

If you notice the online Apple store, all iMac G5 models are showing a 7-10 day shipping delay suddenly. Just earlier this week, all 3 models showed "same business day" for shipping. For those who don't know: usually this only happens when Apple has deliberately bled its supplies down in anticipation of a new model within a week or two.

I think this means that we can pretty much rule out PCI Express being standard. However, I want to make one last crack at some spec predictions (differences between models in red):

17" 1.8 GHz
600 MHz frontside bus
512 MB DDR400 RAM
128 MB GeForce 6200 video
80 GB hard drive
Combo drive

17" 2 GHz
667 MHz frontside bus
512 MB DDR400 RAM
80 GB hard drive
8X Superdrive

20" 2 GHz
Same as 17", except for 160 GB hard drive

I'm sure some people will point out that this would make the iMac G5 more powerful than the base-model PowerMac, and they'd be right. I think Apple's recent decisions have marked a change in philosophy. While Apple probably won't let disparities between pro and home lineups last for long, the emphasis now is on the home lineup; Apple is willing to give the iMac a slight boost to keep its momentum rather than insist on giving the PowerMac all the new toys first.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 09:08 PM

Let 'em come! I'll be in the market for a new Mac come August or so. Hopefully G5 PBs will be out then.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 17, 2005, 10:17 PM

I'll be optimistic:

17" 2.0 GHz
667 MHz frontside bus
256 MB DDR400 RAM
64 MB GeForce FX 5200 AGP
80 GB hard drive
Combo drive

17" 2.2 GHz
733 MHz frontside bus
256 MB DDR400 RAM
80 GB hard drive
8X Superdrive (single-layer)

20" 2.2 GHz
733 MHz frontside bus
256 MB DDR400 RAM
160 GB hard drive
8X Superdrive (single-layer)

Whatever the case, I'll likely wait for rev. C.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 11:05 PM

I'll buy if the specifications are anything like that. If it gets a better video card, I'm so there! It would be nice to see a 22" or 23" model.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
It would be nice to see a 22" or 23" model.
The new form factor completely allows for this too. I don't personally want a 23" iMac ... I think the 20" is perfect. But a new top end may push the 20" down the food chain price-wise (and perhaps configured with a smaller base HD etc ... which perfect for people who intend to put their own HD and RAM in anyway)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 18, 2005, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by Commodus:
If you notice the online Apple store, all iMac G5 models are showing a 7-10 day shipping delay suddenly.
3-5 days now.

mrgreen4242
Feb 18, 2005, 02:43 AM

Well, I just bought one, so I am sure they will update them... If they just add RAM/hd/cpu speed and not the a GPU upgrade I won't be too upset... the 1.8ghz G5 is pretty quick. What'll piss me off is a better GPU in the new one, and also if they fix the damn noise that is pouring out of it!

Rob

aafuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by Commodus:
Thanks to AppleInsider for the news.

If you notice the online Apple store, all iMac G5 models are showing a 7-10 day shipping delay suddenly. Just earlier this week, all 3 models showed "same business day" for shipping. For those who don't know: usually this only happens when Apple has deliberately bled its supplies down in anticipation of a new model within a week or two.

I think this means that we can pretty much rule out PCI Express being standard. However, I want to make one last crack at some spec predictions (differences between models in red):

17" 1.8 GHz
600 MHz frontside bus
512 MB DDR400 RAM
80 GB hard drive
Combo drive

17" 2 GHz
667 MHz frontside bus
512 MB DDR400 RAM
80 GB hard drive
8X Superdrive

20" 2 GHz
Same as 17", except for 160 GB hard drive

I'm sure some people will point out that this would make the iMac G5 more powerful than the base-model PowerMac, and they'd be right. I think Apple's recent decisions have marked a change in philosophy. While Apple probably won't let disparities between pro and home lineups last for long, the emphasis now is on the home lineup; Apple is willing to give the iMac a slight boost to keep its momentum rather than insist on giving the PowerMac all the new toys first.

The predicted specs looks fine, but the 6200 is only available for PCI Express systems at the moment.
Invader Zim
"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!"

A.A.'s Mac-Mac mini Core Solo 1.5GHz, 512MB, 60GB SATA HDD, Combo Drive, OS X 10.4.5, iWork '06, iLife '06, Logic Express 7. Mouse-Logitech G7, Keyboard-MS Digital Media Keyboar
Fifth Generation iPod (30GB)-White

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 04:27 AM

I'd love the GPU to be changed, but I doubt Apple is going to go that route. I see a typical Apple bump: slight processor bump, slight HD bump, maybe BT or APX standard and that's it. I'd love a new GPU but I know Apple wont give it, maybe the one now but with 128MB of VRAM. Time will tell, I hope I'm wrong.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 11:02 AM

Crap, just bought a 20" in Jan...isn't it a tad early (given typical Apple update schedules) to be expecting an update though? If there's an update, it'll be extremely minor (.2Ghz & HD Space, *maybe* GPU).
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2005, 11:42 AM

Added: Another sign, I check the refurb store almost daily and have been for a year. I suggested last fall that they also pull the refurbs a few days before a new release and keep them off there for several weeks after. For at least 3 weeks there has always been both the SD 17" iMac and 20" model. Today they suddenly are all out of every model?

As long as the 20 (or 23") has 128MB of VRAM, I'll be happy.

I'm going along with what Commodus stated for processor speeds, 1.8, 2.0, 2.0.

March marks 6 months which would be a quick refresh but it's happened before.

Tuesday may be a nice day for me, my 17" comes back from warranty service and perhaps I'll be ordering my new iMac.
( Last edited by Crusoe; Feb 18, 2005 at 01:07 PM. )
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by aafuss:
The predicted specs looks fine, but the 6200 is only available for PCI Express systems at the moment.
Ah, but that's not true anymore. If you go to the GeForce 6-series tech specs page on nVidia's website, AGP 8X is listed in addition to PCI Express as an option for the GeForce 6200. It's just that, in the x86 world, there's been little incentive to make an AGP version given typical upgrade paths.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

ClassicMac
Feb 26, 2005, 02:18 AM

I noticed that the ship times for the iMac G5 at the Apple Store online has been changed to 1-3 days. I'm not sure if this means that we will be seeing new models soon or if Apple was just experiencing a supply delay. Anyone have any new information on this?

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2005, 08:19 AM

and they're back up on the refurb store. They were gone for over a week.

They did reduce the 20" from $1699 to $1649.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
...isn't it a tad early (given typical Apple update schedules) to be expecting an update though?
Yes, it is too early. Judging from the update pattern for the other G5 machines (Power Mac and Xserve -- one year for the first Power Mac update, 13 months from its introduction and still no new Xserve G5, and 8 months now from the last Power Mac update), I would not expect an iMac update before August 2005. This PPC970 is a tough nut and scales up more slowly than what everyone expected .

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 04:39 PM

I foresee a MHz bump to 2.0 and 1.8 and nothing else...maybe 512MB of RAM standard but don't wait for something revolutionary, I personally don't see anything cool happening.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

P
Feb 28, 2005, 06:28 PM

Expect a Powermac update before the next iMac. The predictions look about right though - 1.8/2.0 and a GF 6200 is my bet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules