Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Al-Siba'i: "The term 'civilians' does not exist in Islamic religious law.

Al-Siba'i: "The term 'civilians' does not exist in Islamic religious law. (Page 4)
vmarks  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 29, 2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by undotwa

I condone the principle of the Inquisition, which was to define heresy and maintain orthodoxy within the Church. I do not condone however the means it was carried out, especially in Spain. It must be remembered however, the perils of the Spanish Inquisition is to this day over-exaggerated.
So it's just some coincidence that there are so few Jews left in Spain today. In all of Toledo, there is one Jew left.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
So it's just some coincidence that there are so few Jews left in Spain today. In all of Toledo, there is one Jew left.
The Sephardic Jews were not expelled by the Inquisition. They were however expelled as part of Ferdinand and Isabell's general intolerence of other ethnicities (of which intolerance it is clear that the Spanish Inquisition was a product).

We Christians have to acknowledge our faults, our imperfect humanity and that we too have been full of prejudice in the part. We too have committed acts which go against the grain of Jesus Christ's teaching. But in the process, we shouldn't let the modern day anti-Christian prejudice get in the way of a true understanding of the extent of Christian intolerance in the middle ages.

It is important to understand that while many Christians participated in these atrocities, many actually spoke against them.
In vino veritas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules