Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 193)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2011, 12:29 PM

I have to say this though: I'm not altogether offended by swearing. I've heard so much of it my life that it barely registers anymore. I do try to avoid it in excess though, whether in games or movies.

I don't swear myself, but my philosophy is that if I'm not around people that swear, then I'm living in a little box and not influencing anyone who dissimilar to myself. The whole Christian "in the world, but not of the world" thing. In college, I always gravitated to the atheists/agnostics in classes, even before I knew their religious beliefs. Not sure why.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Ha...are you sure we want to go down this road? Heavy Rain and Fallout 3 are the most recent examples that come to mind. I didn't even bother with God of War or GTA.
Yes, we can go down this road, because I'm not going to argue anything. Three of those seem self-evident (particularly GTA). The fourth (F3) I've never played before.

I have to say this though: I'm not altogether offended by swearing.
I'd hope not, otherwise playing with me would be intolerable, and that's bullshit.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2011, 12:52 PM

Ha...are you sure we want to go down this road? Heavy Rain and Fallout 3 are the most recent examples that come to mind. I didn't even bother with God of War or GTA.
Can you clarify on Fallout 3? No judgement at all, just trying to remember anything that would be offensive, and it's been so long that nothing comes to mind.

If you don't want to that's fine - I'm just curious.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2011, 12:53 PM

Was the VATS system really bloody? Only thing I can think of not having seen it played for more than 5 minutes.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2011, 12:53 PM

I'm not offended by swearing. Its the use of racist and/or religious stuff that gets to me. And I don't just mean the black or white thing. When you play with a mixture of European nations, the conversation can go too far. Then some idiot starts on Jews. I have global mute on which helps. We've kicked a few idiots out of our clan for some nasty stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2011, 12:55 PM

Speaking of nasty stuff, I'm having real trouble with the "f' word. No, not that one. Thanks to MW2, "faggot" has seeped into my unconscious (because I've been repeatedly told I'm that type of camper) and I'm spitting it out occasionally when I'd really rather not.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Was the VATS system really bloody? Only thing I can think of not having seen it played for more than 5 minutes.
It can be. If you shoot for limbs you can dismember depending on the type of weapon you have. But you also don't have to use VATS.

But I'm thinking it isn't because of the violence - it's pretty evident that Fallout is a violent game without playing it. But nothing comes to mind outside of the violence that would stick out as offensive to me. Granted, there were some religious aspects to the game, but they were fictional religions that arose from a nuclear war - there wasn't any criticism or satire of current real-world religions.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2011, 01:51 PM

There's some swearing in Fallout. Characters dialogue would include any number of swears, and enemy NPCs will yell out profanities when attacking you.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2011, 02:45 PM

Yes, we can go down this road, because I'm not going to argue anything. Three of those seem self-evident (particularly GTA). The fourth (F3) I've never played before.
I wasn't worried about arguing. I'm just kind of the outlier in this case, and I didn't want to draw unnecessary attention to it.

I'd hope not, otherwise playing with me would be intolerable, and that's bullshit.
I wasn't aware you guys swore.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Can you clarify on Fallout 3? No judgement at all, just trying to remember anything that would be offensive, and it's been so long that nothing comes to mind.

If you don't want to that's fine - I'm just curious.
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
There's some swearing in Fallout. Characters dialogue would include any number of swears, and enemy NPCs will yell out profanities when attacking you.
Nah, I don't mind. sek basically covered it, but there was something else that set weird with me. I can't quite remember what it was. Also, I got bored with it pretty quickly (sorry, sek -- I know that's your baby).

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I'm not offended by swearing. Its the use of racist and/or religious stuff that gets to me. And I don't just mean the black or white thing. When you play with a mixture of European nations, the conversation can go too far. Then some idiot starts on Jews. I have global mute on which helps. We've kicked a few idiots out of our clan for some nasty stuff.
Speaking of nasty stuff, I'm having real trouble with the "f' word. No, not that one. Thanks to MW2, "faggot" has seeped into my unconscious (because I've been repeatedly told I'm that type of camper) and I'm spitting it out occasionally when I'd really rather not.
matty, what kind of religious stuff has been thrown out?

Uncharted 2 was apparently played by a ton of Europeans -- matchmaking brought us together a ton of times. I seem to recall plenty of them being incredibly racist.

Of course you'll hear the N-word dropped a ton, but mostly by black guys themselves (which never feels quite comfortable).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2011, 02:58 PM

I wasn't worried about arguing. I'm just kind of the outlier in this case, and I didn't want to draw unnecessary attention to it.
Well you do a pretty good job of pretending to be normal on here, but I'm a pessimist, so you've just been escaping my expectation all this time.

(I swear that is a joke)

Of course you'll hear the N-word dropped a ton, but mostly by black guys themselves (which never feels quite comfortable).
As much as saying "faggot" isn't cool, the guys that make me sick to my stomach tend to drop the n-word. I've heard too many insults where afterwards they'll then explode into a general tirade. It's scary.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2011, 03:24 PM

Well you do a pretty good job of pretending to be normal on here, but I'm a pessimist, so you've just been escaping my expectation all this time.

(I swear that is a joke)
You .

As much as saying "faggot" isn't cool, the guys that make me sick to my stomach tend to drop the n-word. I've heard too many insults where afterwards they'll then explode into a general tirade. It's scary.
"Faggot" is thrown around as a general insult, while the N-word is very direct and absolutely chock-full of hatred. I can't stand it. Someone might call another a fag without actually meaning it. Generally, when the angry-sounding white guy starts screaming the N-word, you imagine him to be doing it through a white hood.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2011, 03:34 PM

Well, I feel like "faggot" has more power behind it than "fag" (see: South Park). It's like the difference between the "ah" and "er" on the end of the n-word.
(This discussion really got sidetracked, eh?)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2011, 03:42 PM

Really? I've never considered that. We need one of our resident 'NN homosexuals to check into this thread and give some insight.

Also, I still doubt "a" instead of "er" would be acceptable for 99% of white guys out there. I've heard some of my white students say it to some of my black students in a joking way, and I've always stamped it out quickly. When I asked one black student how he felt about it, he said it didn't bother him that bad since they were good friends, but it was still "kind of weird."

I dunno. I've always taken the safe route. God knows I'm the epitome of a white, Southern cracker. I've got to be extra careful.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2011, 03:46 PM

It's ok because I'm a wigger.
Or is it wiggah?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2011, 03:48 PM

Well, I feel like "faggot" has more power behind it than "fag" (see: South Park). It's like the difference between the "ah" and "er" on the end of the n-word.
(This discussion really got sidetracked, eh?)
I think it's because phonetically "faggot" can be emphasized much harder. Especially when preceded by the word "****ing". If you try to add more emphasis to the word "fag" you end up drawing the word out and it has less impact.

But if you really want to hear the differences, just hop onto public XBL games for long enough and you'll hear plenty of 14 year olds giving you numerous examples.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2011, 03:58 PM

I think it's because phonetically "faggot" can be emphasized much harder.
Yes, I was thinking that too, mostly because I was irreverently thinking of the Sunny episode where they talk about saying jew with a "hard J."

But if you really want to hear the differences, just hop onto public XBL games for long enough and you'll hear plenty of 14 year olds giving you numerous examples.
The greatest thing since leaving MW2 has been party chat.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2011, 10:07 AM

matty, what kind of religious stuff has been thrown out?

Uncharted 2 was apparently played by a ton of Europeans -- matchmaking brought us together a ton of times. I seem to recall plenty of them being incredibly racist.
I've heard stuff like Catholic against Protestant. I've heard Muslim against non-Muslim. Somebody brings up Jews, then Palestine. I've heard people from Northern England start to get aggressive with people from Southern England. Belgians against French, French against Germans etc etc. From my pre-global-mute experience, I'd say that the Dutch are the nicest. Without sounding like a twat, I used to try and strike up a conversation, instead of starting off with 'You bunch of camping cunts' when beaten by another team. Sometimes you'd get an idiot, but more often than not you could have a decent conversation.

This started happening less and less on MW2 when I was playing search, so I just put global mute on and haven't looked back.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 17, 2011, 11:36 AM

Holy shit is Major Nelson's blog redesign horrific.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2011, 12:13 PM

The only time I ever had genuine interactions with randoms was on Nazi Zombies. L4D too, guess the zombie loving crowd has less jerks per capita.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 17, 2011, 12:15 PM

Burnout had some nice peeps.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2011, 12:18 PM

Worst humans alive were on GTA IV.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 17, 2011, 12:20 PM

Haha, I don't remember. Gears of War had some quality douchnozzlery.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2011, 11:48 AM

Google it, I dare you.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2011, 02:17 PM

Haha, unfortunately didn't see that guy. Think you guys will enjoy this costume I snapped a pic of.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2011, 02:18 PM

Awesome.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2011, 03:49 PM

Did you get any pics of that chick dressed up as Moxi?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2011, 10:40 AM

Google it, I dare you.
If you don't feel like searching: Cosplay Gallery from PAX East 2011

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2011, 10:13 AM

NGP games will be downloadable day-and-date with retail releases | Joystiq
SCEA hasn't managed to deliver all PSP UMD releases digitally -- let alone simultaneously with retail -- and even said the likelihood of making such parity would be several years off. That doesn't appear to be the case with PSP's sucessor, the NGP, based on comments made by SCEE president Andrew House.

"One thing we learnt from PSP, is that we want to have simultaneous delivery in digital and physical for NGP," House told MCV. "Just to clarify that, all games that appear physically will be made available digitally."

2010: 5% of games given M rating, including 29% of big sellers
"Of the top 20 games last year, seven were rated-M, one was T-rated, and the remaining 12 were E or E 10+. Among the top 10, literally half were rated M and the other half E, but among the next 10, E ruled the roost," NPD Group Analyst Anita Frazer told Ars. In other words, half of the year's biggest hits were rated Mature, and that continues when you look at the games that sold over a million copies.

"42 games sold 1 million or more units in 2010, and of those, 27 were E or E10+; three were Teen and 12 were mature," Frazier explained. Let's take a look at the ten best-selling games in the United States in 2010, and highlight the ones that were rated Mature.

Call of Duty: Black Ops
Madden NFL 11
Halo: Reach
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Red Dead Redemption
Wii Fit Plus
Just Dance 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

NBA 2K11

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2011, 12:19 PM

Correcting one of the many mistakes of the PSP Go.

2010: 5% of games given M rating, including 29% of big sellers[/QUOTE]

And if you take out sports games...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2011, 12:22 PM

Half asleep today, some more news I missed while sleep-surfing:

Zynga: Xbox Live is 'too small' for Farmville- Destructoid

EA Sports helping the Earth, ditches printed manuals- Destructoid

Is Konami working on a multiplayer Silent Hill XBLA game?- Destructoid
Just as long as there's a PyramidHead rape mode.

Microsoft talks Games on Demand pricing- Destructoid
Eurogamer got a choice quote from a Microsoft spokesperson on the matter. "No one retailer has the lowest pricing for every product, and our program is about giving people 24 x 7 convenience and selection when shopping for Xbox 360 games."

"We're incredibly excited about what Games on Demand means for digital distribution, and will continue to evaluate and evolve the service to meet market and consumer demands."
Honestly, I can't make heads or tails of what he's trying to say. The best I can decipher is something to the effect of "Meh, it's good enough"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2011, 03:19 PM

Cradled by inadequacy: the 3DS battery put to the test
This is your chance Sony. Don't mess it up with a horrible price point.

And if you take out sports games...
Oh, I can have fun with that. Eliminate sports games, Nintendo games, exercise games or motion control games. What's left? (Wish I could see the Top 20 list).

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2011, 04:12 PM

Madden sold more copies than Reach? Damn.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2011, 04:13 PM

Multi-platform. No contest.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2011, 09:43 PM

EA Sports helping the Earth, ditches printed manuals- Destructoid
Helping the earth my ass! They're just ****in' cheap and are looking for an excuse to cut costs.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2011, 09:47 PM

Honestly, I can't make heads or tails of what he's trying to say. The best I can decipher is something to the effect of "Meh, it's good enough"
Or "People are dumb enough to buy it at this price so why lower it?"

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2011, 10:15 PM

Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime is set for release on Wednesday on XBLA. You gettin' it bro?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Helping the earth my ass! They're just ****in' cheap and are looking for an excuse to cut costs.
Now what's going to hold their online passcode in place?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2011, 10:17 AM

Kotaku, the Gamer’s Guide
Much hyped zombie game Dead Island has gotten the attention of the ESRB for its logo of all things. Hanging zombies are a no-no, it seems, as the game's logo has been "censored" to remove that dangling corpse. That change affects the game's box art in North America only, reports IGN.
Would this be ok for a movie poster?

Kinect PS3 hack is a console purist's worst nightmare | Joystiq
They said it couldn't be done, but Shantanu Goel has seemingly done it: married an Xbox 360 and PS3 together through some good, old-fashioned Kinect hackery. In the video past the break, you can see the first small steps for man that is Killzone 3 being played with Kinect. Yes, that is a sentence we never thought we'd have to write.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2011, 01:33 PM

Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime is set for release on Wednesday on XBLA. You gettin' it bro?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2011, 09:38 PM

I'll take that as a no, LOL!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2011, 12:06 PM

Portal 2 Panels trailer

Glad to see the humor hasn't gotten stale.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 23, 2011, 01:40 PM

Sony: PS3 hacker Geohot has fled the US- Destructoid
Sony claims that PS3 hacker George "Geohot" Hotz has fled the United States in an effort to escape his participation in the notorious PS3 jailbreak suit.

A document filed by Sony alleges that Hotz is currently residing in South America, using his new location as an excuse for not handing his impounded hard-drives over to the publisher for a thorough scouring. Sony adds that "attempts to dodge this Court’s authority raise very serious questions."

To further demolish Geohot's case, Sony claims that he lied about owning a PlayStation Network card. After tracking the serial number one of Hotz's four PS3s, Sony was able to determine that he'd created the PSN account "blickmaniac."
Um, wow.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2011, 03:33 PM

Well, he got the attention he wanted. Apparently now it's too much, so he is on 'extended' vacation.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2011, 04:03 PM

The amount of time and money Sony is spending on this pursuit is amazing.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2011, 06:27 PM

I just bought the new 360 controller with the charge kit. It's on sale this week at Gamestop and Best Buy for $55 ($10 off). I really dig the feel of the bumper buttons and the analog stick. Played Homefront for a few hours and noticed a significant difference in aiming. Much, much better.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2011, 11:54 AM

Duke Nukem Forever delayed | Joystiq
Groovy.

Kotaku, the Gamer’s Guide
For more serious drivers, the survey claimed Forza 4 would be the "best looking game of the year with graphic fidelity 10 times better than the previous version, including new lighting and shading models." A new career mode involves "an automotive world tour," promising to "increase the variety of challenges and events you participate in." A new no-assist expert mode was also mentioned, as well as more than 500 cars from 80 different manufacturers.

"Fleeing"? Sabotaged hard drives? Hotz's lawyer responds to Sony
Factually, it's true I'm in South America, on a vacation I've had planned and paid for since November. I mean, it is spring break; hacking isn't my life. Rest assured that not a dime of legal defense money would ever go toward something like this. And of course Townsend loves the idea of painting me as an international fugitive. I have been in contact with my lawyers almost every day; I would not let the case suffer. That said, I also won't let this ridiculous lawsuit run my life either. Then the fearmongerers win.
Did I see this coming a mile a way? Not quite. Did I suspect Sony's brief may have been inaccurate? You bet. (Hence the two word commentary yesterday)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2011, 12:01 PM

Duke had his own exhibition area at PAX, and most of the murmur around it was basically "I'll believe it when I see it"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2011, 12:05 PM

Well, they're letting game journos play parts of it, so it's obviously a decent amount along. The preview observations were mostly negative, but somewhat understandable given the reincarnative nature of the games design. I don't think the game will turn out that well, but I think 2k will break even, and that'll allow/spur them to create a better game from the IP (The purchase was all about the brand, I assure you).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2011, 12:13 PM

I just bought the new 360 controller with the charge kit. It's on sale this week at Gamestop and Best Buy for $55 ($10 off). I really dig the feel of the bumper buttons and the analog stick. Played Homefront for a few hours and noticed a significant difference in aiming. Much, much better.
Love mine too. Haven't spent a crazy amount of time with it yet, but it's great so far.

"Fleeing"? Sabotaged hard drives? Hotz's lawyer responds to Sony

Did I see this coming a mile a way? Not quite. Did I suspect Sony's brief may have been inaccurate? You bet. (Hence the two word commentary yesterday)
Instability all around from my beloved. This is brutal.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2011, 12:17 PM

Instability? Don't see it. Misplaced goals? You bet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules