Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My World Has Been Rocked (Advice Thread)

My World Has Been Rocked (Advice Thread) (Page 6)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Actually, odds are that she is very intelligent, her mother and I both have IQs >150, genetic markers also point in that direction as well. Also, her language skills are currently in the top 1% for her age (9 months), the words she uses have direct relation to the items or people she wants. I was reading at 3 (read The Hobbit at 4), and bilingual. Perhaps I am biased, but others have noticed it as well, her pediatrician is genuinely amazed by her.
We're not going to push her, she can move at her own pace, but I'm going to make sure that I don't get in her way, either.
That came off shitty and arrogant (I was multi-tasking with a call from the ME and the connection was crap)... sorry. Anyhow, her pediatrician is impressed and feels she's far ahead of the curve. Of course I'd be impressed, I love her more than everything else in the world, combined.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 02:26 PM

No worries.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2012, 08:34 AM

I was going to respond with...

All that and humble too!

But I decided against it.

Our kid is well ahead of the curve as well. He's 3 and 3 months and he talks like most 5 year olds. He had a 250+ word vocabulary at 18 months.

What's shocking to me now is he's learning to be super manipulative and using subtle techniques to twist exchanges in his favor, here is a recent example...

=======================

Dad, come here, let's go into my room.

OK.

Mom said that you have to clean up my room.

Uh, what? I'm pretty sure that's not right.

No, she said to clean it up. I'm going to sit in this chair and you can clean it up.

Why don't you go back and ask her again. Ask her if she wants you to clean it up, or if she wants me to clean it.

<< Runs down hall >>

Mom, is dad supposed to clean up my room?

No, you are supposed to do it. Dad can help you.

<< Runs back >>

Dad, mom said that you are supposed to help and you should clean the room. I need you to help. << grabs a magnetic doodle pad >> I'm going to make a plan for you. You can clean the room. I'll sit in this chair and tell you what to clean.

Is that what mom asked you to do? I'm pretty sure she wanted you to clean it up yourself.

Dad, I am doing it. I'm the planner. I'll make the plan.

================================

I would scold him for it, but honestly, these are the kind of life skills that are really going to come in handy.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

andi*pandi
Nov 30, 2012, 08:55 AM

I'm afraid to say it, but he has real manager material.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2012, 09:52 AM

That's awesome.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I would scold him for it, but honestly, these are the kind of life skills that are really going to come in handy.
He should stay away from Post Offices.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2012, 11:20 AM

I was going to respond with...
All that and humble too!
But I decided against it.
Yeah? Well **** you. I'm all about humility, mother****er!@! *gives the finger*

Our kid is well ahead of the curve as well. He's 3 and 3 months and he talks like most 5 year olds. He had a 250+ word vocabulary at 18 months.
What's shocking to me now is he's learning to be super manipulative and using subtle techniques to twist exchanges in his favor, here is a recent example...
Too cute. That's a talent that will serve him well, make sure he goes to law school.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2012, 11:48 AM

It'll serve him well, regardless of what he ends up doing.

Perfect qualities for a producer or musical director, too.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2012, 01:05 PM

Right now he wants to be a janitor when he grows up.

He says his best skill is cleaning up, so when he grows up, he wants to be a cleaning up guy.

I told him that's a janitor and he now tells people he wants to be a janitor.

We're still debating what to use as a middle name for our next child, so we asked him...

"What should baby Henry's middle name be?"

He pauses for about 5 seconds, deep in thought, and says with authority...

"Henry Hot Sauce"

My wife and I honestly considered it for about a day before we decided we didn't have the balls.

andi*pandi
Dec 5, 2012, 01:38 PM

Henry Sriracha has a nice ring to it though.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2012, 09:36 PM

ort888, Henry would hate his older brother during middle/high school, but would probably realize how freaking awesome of a name Henry Hot Sauce is as he enters into early-20s hipster-dom.

Also, the back-and-forth story is freaking hilarious. I can't wait for those moments of our own.

My little guy took his Christmas card photos today:

From his 1st birthday party:

Like his mom and dad, he has an intense fascination with animals of every kind, but we're already worried that he shows absolutely ZERO fear of anything so far, including not only goats and horses (he had a borrowed jacket in the bottom picture), but anything else that crawls, slithers, and walks that isn't human.

He has never met a stranger, but definitely prefers to be held by tall men in their 50s and every African-American in our church. White women get ignored for the most part, and unfortunately that includes his aunts and grandmothers. I've always heard that first-time parents are 100% fascinated with every little quirk their children display, to the point of being completely annoying -- my wife and I are definitely there.

The doctor keeps telling us he's very advanced in his interactions for 13 months, but we're ready (but not ready) for him to walk. He has done it numerous times, but shows very little interest in making it commonplace. I suppose I'll be grateful for the delay once I'm chasing him everywhere, but now I'm terrifying of having the only two-year-old that walks around using two hands and one foot (he drags the other leg around lifelessly while he crawls).

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2012, 08:04 AM

Haven't had much time to post, but here's the newest addition. He was born on the 14th. Everything went great, mom and baby are doing well.

He's so much calmer than our other one was when he was a baby. Already sleeping 4-5 hours at a stretch.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2012, 12:37 PM

Thats 2 boys isn't it ort?

Good luck mate, you'll need it. ;-)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2012, 01:48 PM

Oh yeah, he's totally scoping you out, cute kid.

But I thank the gods every day that we had a girl. Oh, and she now knows who/what papa and mama is, associating words with things. It was a moving experience to be called papa for the first time, instead of hearing it as just a word. She is such a papa's girl, right now sitting on my lap watching everything that I'm doing so closely. Then she'll give me a serious look and then point at the screen or push keys on the keyboard.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I keep thinking Mitt Romney ran up to you and said "let me hold just one more baby while someone takes a picture... please!"

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2012, 11:38 AM

Nice DoF BTW.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I keep thinking Mitt Romney ran up to you and said "let me hold just one more baby while someone takes a picture... please!"
Just saw this comment. BAAAAAHAHAHA...

I don't think my dad would appreciate the Mitt Romney comparison, but it's still hilarious.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2013, 12:02 PM

Posting another kid update. My boy is nearly a year and a half, and his big personality is coming out more and more.

This might be too personal for an Internet forum, but my life is mostly an open book, and this video of him laughing is my favorite thing ever: Achoo: Hilarity? - YouTube

Also wondering how the rest of you 'NN parents and your loin-fruits are doing.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2013, 12:50 PM

I've got my iPhone mounted on a little stand in my car where my 3.5 year old can see it. When it's playing music he always seems to have strong preferences for certain songs over others and I finally figured out that it's 100% based on the album art.

He wants to know who every single artist is and who he fights. The funny thing is that he remembers exactly who I say every guy fights. Even if weeks have passed. It's really crazy how well kids can remember things.

Who's that?

David Bowie.

Who does he fight?

Uhh... he fights centipedes.

No he doesn't! He fights robots, remember? Captain Beano (Kap Bambino) fights centipedes. David Bowie fights robots.

andi*pandi
Apr 10, 2013, 12:52 PM

Yes. Yes he does.

great pix jawbone.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2013, 01:59 PM

I've got my iPhone mounted on a little stand in my car where my 3.5 year old can see it. When it's playing music he always seems to have strong preferences for certain songs over others and I finally figured out that it's 100% based on the album art.

He wants to know who every single artist is and who he fights. The funny thing is that he remembers exactly who I say every guy fights. Even if weeks have passed. It's really crazy how well kids can remember things.

Who's that?

David Bowie.

Who does he fight?

Uhh... he fights centipedes.

No he doesn't! He fights robots, remember? Captain Beano (Kap Bambino) fights centipedes. David Bowie fights robots.
Baaaaahahahahaha

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2013, 02:52 PM

The reason he wants to know who everyone fights is as follows...

Once I figured out that he was all about the album art, I started playing stuff that had cool art I knew he would like. This included Klaus Nomi.

When he saw Klaus Nomi the conversation went like this...

Who is that?

That's Klaus Nomi.

Is he a bad guy?

Uh, I dunno, do you think he's a bad guy?

Yes. He's a bad a guy.

Okay then, he's definitely a bad guy.

Who does he fight.

Why, he fights the Venture Brothers.

Oh...

And from then on, every single artist has to fight someone.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2013, 03:28 PM

That. Is awesome.

My daughter's okay with Bowie now. It used to be a little heavy for her (though I haven't tried "Earthling" yet). But then, her first favorite album was Revolver, followed by Sgt. Pepper and Let It Be. Abbey Road took a while.

And I swear, I didn't push her that way. She just asked me about my submarine t-shirt, and why one of them was yellow, so I put on Revolver, and she said she thought the music was great.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2013, 03:54 PM

Show her the movie.

I would have thought it would be too slow and/or weird, but my kid LOVES it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2013, 04:11 PM

She doesn't speak English yet, but I might try it anyway. Good idea!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
She doesn't speak English yet, but I might try it anyway. Good idea!
I thought you were bringing her up bilingual?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2013, 04:34 PM

No, sadly not.

I was thinking about it, but I wouldn't have done it without a clear-cut contextual separation between the languages. Either I would have had to speak only English with her (which I wasn't willing to do), or we would have needed some sort of bilingual pre-school, which I would have loved, but which simply isn't available in our neck of the woods (the nearest one is up near Hagenbeck's Tierpark, AFAIK).

I didn't want to mix things up — I've seen kids get royally ****ed up, unable to speak three languages properly.

We might have been able to pull it off, but it's also just not a priority for her mum.

As it is, she is (much to my delight) absorbing her phonetics from Beatles records and from my singing and explanations, so she'll be alright. She was prancing around the kitchen earlier singing fantasy lyrics, and it seems that she has the "th" down pat.

There is so much I'd love to share, though, and it has saddened me that even stuff like Mr. Men and Dr. Seuss wouldn't be part of her childhood. Ort has just inspired me to just start sharing stuff, though.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2013, 04:40 PM

Surely a German dub of it exists somehow... right?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2013, 04:42 PM

I'll go looking, now.

There is a dub of it available on DVD. Hmmm…
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Apr 10, 2013 at 04:54 PM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2013, 05:29 PM

Well, show her the trailer before you do anything rash.

There's a 4 minute trailer on iTunes you can find via Apple TV or the Trailers iOS app. That was his first exposure to it, and he would ask for it all the time.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2013, 04:31 AM

I speak only English to my kids, but they reply in French. I read to them every other night - only English books (Dr. Suess, Mr. Men and the Richard Scarry* type books that were mine). They watch the Toy Story/Madagascar/Ice Age stuff in English, they didn't like it at first but I insisted.

And then the other night my daughter wanted to read to me, in English. Not flawless but bloody good.

*Strange having to explain that typewriters and record players are no longer the norm.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2013, 10:05 AM

We're aiming for three languages, with English as the primary. I speak English to my kids, as does most everybody else, my wife speaks German to them and the oldest will be going to a French Immersion school next year. We've got friends from Latin America who are throwing in a smattering of Spanish. So does our nanny, she's from the Philippines.

We're not aiming for perfection in all languages, but would love to achieve a basic understanding of German and fluency in French.
( Last edited by Phileas; Apr 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM. )

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2013, 12:50 PM

Crap...I'm going to have to start teaching my son another language. Right now he only speaks broken Redneck.

Seriously, though — kudos to all you parents who are teaching your kids multiple languages. Our area is increasingly Hispanic, so we hope to be a bilingual home. I'm trying to learn right now.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2013, 02:50 PM

We're largely bilingual now, English and Spanish, and Emma's picked up a couple Spanish words (gato, niña, ropa), but her vocabulary is mostly comprised of English. Her stubbornness is incredible, as is her curiosity, once she's locked in on something it's almost impossible to keep her out of it. Now that she can run, more or less, she's quite a handful to keep track of. Playpens are an absolute necessity with her, unless you can focus on her the entire time.
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2013, 02:54 PM

We're going 100% Nadsat in our house.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
We're not aiming for perfection in all languages, but would love to achieve a basic understanding of German and fluency in French.
Just to clarify: The kids I mentioned earlier aren't ****ed up for lack of perfection in some of their languages; they're ****ed up of lack of basic native-speaker proficiency in ANY of their languages.

It sounds like you've got a good separation going, that setup looks like it will work well for the kids.

andi*pandi
Apr 11, 2013, 03:31 PM

Just English here. I like to be able to mutter bad things in French so they don't know what I'm saying.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2013, 03:38 PM

Two pics before my question:

The little guy turned two on Halloween, and we took a few shots of him to celebrate:

And then a shot from his Christmas set:

He's probably said about 50-60 words, but he's not really doing it on command. I'll ask him to say something simple our dog's name or even something like "bite," and he refuses to acknowledge it, although he knows the words and their meanings. Pretty much anything that we ask him to say, he refuses.

But then he'll see a guy riding a bike down the street and he'll scream, "Bicycle!" Is my kid developing a bit slow for a two-year-old, or is he just stubborn?

andi*pandi
Dec 17, 2013, 04:10 PM

cute! dimplicious.

If he can communicate when he wants to, I vote stubborn... or one of those who doesn't want to speak until it's full sentences. If you're asking a question (red or blue pants? apple or orange?) does he answer?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
If he can communicate when he wants to, I vote stubborn... or one of those who doesn't want to speak until it's full sentences. If you're asking a question (red or blue pants? apple or orange?) does he answer?
If I hold up an apple and an orange and ask him which one is an apple, he will point to the apple, but won't say it.

OR he'll just completely ignore me, push me aside, and go find something he wants to do.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2013, 05:48 PM

Kids do their own thing, in their own time.

One of my twins started walking when he was just one year old, his brother took his first steps at 17 months.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2013, 06:32 PM

Mine's a chatterbox, but I've heard that's a boys vs girls thing. She's very shy meeting new people and won't say a word, but after she's familiar with them she won't shut up. I don't think you should worry about it, he sounds like he's being stubborn. Emma pitched a hell of a fit yesterday when I told her that her Baby didn't need a car seat. They just do their own thing.
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 17, 2013, 07:45 PM

Don't think I ever posted mine. Turned one this month.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Mine's a chatterbox, but I've heard that's a boys vs girls thing. She's very shy meeting new people and won't say a word, but after she's familiar with them she won't shut up. I don't think you should worry about it, he sounds like he's being stubborn. Emma pitched a hell of a fit yesterday when I told her that her Baby didn't need a car seat. They just do their own thing.

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Kids do their own thing, in their own time.

One of my twins started walking when he was just one year old, his brother took his first steps at 17 months.
I've heard this a billion times, and yet I still freak out when I hear the little girls around my son talking up a storm and using complete sentences.

I need to calm down.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Don't think I ever posted mine. Turned one this month.
Dude, he's awesome. Cute little guy.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2013, 02:18 PM

My mother said I could count to 10 before I was speaking in complete sentences, and my sister couldn't count that high until she was in kindergarten. Communication seems to be something that females develop earlier than males, and then they go on to dominate us in that area for the rest of our lives.
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2014, 11:26 AM

Well, it happened again. The wife and I are going to have #2 sometime just after Thanksgiving. We're hoping to have a third, and then possibly adopt a fourth sometime down the road. By then, we'll be halfway down the road to Mormonism.

So my first question for some of the other parents:

Do you guys have any stories that you don't feel are utter bullcrap about how to tell before the definitive ultrasound concerning the gender of a child? My wife wasn't sick during the first pregnancy, but has been sick every single day the second time around, and everyone is convinced it means this one is a girl. Is there any truth to all of this? I'm inclined to think they're 99% wives' tales.

Secondly, many of our concerns about his talking were resolved by his second set of tubes. The doctor speculated that he simply wasn't hearing anything but mumbling sounds for months. He's said somewhere between 200-300 words, but still isn't talking much in sentences. He quotes his ABCs, spells every sign that we walk past, and is incredible with puzzles (light years beyond the other toddlers in his classes), but still seems a bit behind most of the others in speaking skills. He's catching up, but we were worried for a while.

Finally, a few updated pictures:

My little guy is more concerned with figuring out how the jeep works than actually riding it.

Our last Easter as a family of three.

andi*pandi
Apr 23, 2014, 12:19 PM

congrats, great pix! glad the tubes helped.

I was slightly more nauseated with the second, a girl, but don't take that as evidence of anything.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I was slightly more nauseated with the second, a girl, but don't take that as evidence of anything.
So basically nothing until the sonogram? That's what we think — we just hear 1,000 stories from everyone telling us how to look for something different in advance.

andi*pandi
Apr 23, 2014, 02:47 PM

You never really know. Timing, they say, is everything. I was convinced she was a boy because of that... wrong!

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2014, 02:53 PM

You're giving us hope.

I'm personally fine with anything, but the wife is dying for a girl.

Forum Links
Forum Rules