Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther on a 256 MB system?

Panther on a 256 MB system?
Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 10:27 PM

I'm just curious: a lot of the people running Panther are using lots of memory anyways, but what about systems with a relatively small 256? Obviously it won't be as good as with more memory, but I was wondering whether the improvement would still be dramatic on my setup as-is.

Yes, I'm a cheapskate who doesn't want to spring for more memory.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 11:18 PM

Makes me wonder why you'd spend all that cash on panther, yet none on a cheaper chunk of ram.

But to answer your question.. It will run at least as well as 10.2.8 does now. Should be noticeably better than 10.2.8 in fact. At least in UI terms.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 07:50 AM

My rationale is that Panther isn't just a speed boost, it adds features. Besides: my hope is to either get a new PowerBook or a PowerMac within about a year, and getting extra memory now feels like it'd be denying myself extra memory later.

Of course, if it turns out that I end up with higher priorities than my Mac ("what what what?" some people here say), I may just get the memory as a way to squeeze some extra life out of my system.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 03:10 PM

I've only got 64MB more than you, and that's on a Lombard 333. Jag runs acceptably, and from what I've read in other threads, even I should be expecting an observable speed boost. Although, that said, it would be worth it to me to upgrade the RAM on a machine that I was planning to keep for a year or so, if I found that memory was an issue on Jag.

I suppose we shall all see in 4 days.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2003, 03:31 PM

im running a powerbook pismo (g3 400MHz) with 320M RAM. i have not been happier with the speed boost of panther. finally, i feel like os x caught up with 9.2. they run at the same speed on my machine. im sure with only 256 you will notice a boost...+ you got a g4 867
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 19, 2003, 04:08 PM

I've been running Panther 7B80 with 256MB on a Powerbook G4 800Mhz for a few weeks.

The jump from Jaguar to Panther provided very good speed increases.

However, because things only get better with more memory, minutes ago, before reading this thread I ordered an additional 512MB.
Luke

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Oct 19, 2003, 04:10 PM

Do you have any idea how cheap RAM is you cheap bastard?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 19, 2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Leia Shoots Like a Girl:
that's nice.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Commodus  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 05:16 PM

Oh, I know how much (or little) memory costs. In Canada, it would cost a bit less than an educational purchase of Panther to get an extra 256 MB of memory (good Kingston stuff, not generic).

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 19, 2003, 05:50 PM

Almost �100 for 512MB - maybe cheap for memory but its not generically cheap.
Luke

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2003, 08:17 PM

The Merkins & Canooks usually get ram cheaper than us Brits though..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by spitty27:
im running a powerbook pismo (g3 400MHz) with 320M RAM. i have not been happier with the speed boost of panther. finally, i feel like os x caught up with 9.2. they run at the same speed on my machine. im sure with only 256 you will notice a boost...+ you got a g4 867
That is great news. All I hope for is OS9 speed... This Lombard rocked when I bought it at the tail end of the OS 8 days. I guess I should really cancel my dinner plans for the evening of Oct. 24, eh?

babynino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 11:58 AM

Im running build 7B85 now in my 12" 1 GHz AlBook with its stock ram 256mb while I wait for my 512mb RAM from OWC.

It is fast and didn't encountered any lags or problems for surfing the web, email and making documents. You can run at least two major apps such as Photoshop and Dreamweaver with no problems, though after some time things will start to be sluggish. Pageout results in the terminal says that I cant open or work much no more if I want smooth UI experience.

So if you just check mails, surf the web, documents and stuffs then I do believe 256mb ram should be ok with you. Then again if you plan to use photoshop or other major apps even for light uses then I'd highly suggest adding more. 512mb should be the sweet spot for light to moderate users. Again as other users say... you can never have enough RAM

Hope this helps. Can't wait for the official release in a few days
( Last edited by babynino; Oct 20, 2003 at 12:06 PM. )
12" 1GHz AL PowerBook G4 768MB RAM 40GB/APX

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 02:09 PM

If you keep the machine for another year, buy more RAM. Think of it this way, if you sell it before buying a new machine, it will get you a nice little boost in the selling price. Would you rather buy a machine with 256MB of Ram, or 768?

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 03:42 PM

Baninated ? And yet you can post ?

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 05:01 PM

With the Canadian dollar at a nine-year high, it's probably a good time for you to pick up some more RAM. Roughly $120 Cdn for 512 MB from DMS. I bought over a gig from them for four machines and have never had a problem. Do your Mac a favour, eh?

Forum Links
Forum Rules