Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Chutzpah, Palestinian style: "US Handout a Slap in the Face"

Chutzpah, Palestinian style: "US Handout a Slap in the Face"
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2005, 01:09 PM

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...=1115434040842

Palestinian officials are calling a US House of Representatives offer of $200 million in tentative aid for the Palestinians passed on Thursday a �huge slap in the face,� due to restrictions placed on the spending of that money.

The measure restricts the money from going to the Palestinian Authority or its leader, Mahmoud Abbas, and instead calls for the money to be channeled through American aid agencies, nongovernmental organizations (NGO�s) and philanthropic groups.

Edward Abington, a consultant to Palestinian leadership, told the Palestinian Media Center that �The Palestinians will see this as a vote of no confidence in Abu Mazen (Abbas).�

He added that it was a "pretty startling setback for Abbas, who, Abington believes, now has more stringent aid restrictions than former leader Yasser Arafat.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

PacHead
Baninated
May 10, 2005, 01:22 PM

Yeah, I heard about that. They have some nerve, and the US should be giving the ungrateful palestinians zero dollars. It is good that there is a bunch of restrictions attached to the 200 million though, as the palestinian leadership is not to be trusted, and luckily the US knows this also.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2005, 02:44 PM

I'm not familiar with this bill; what sorts of restrictions are to be placed on how the money is spent?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

PacHead
Baninated
May 10, 2005, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I'm not familiar with this bill; what sorts of restrictions are to be placed on how the money is spent?
The money will not go directly to the palestinian leadership, as they have been known to buy weapons and finance terrorism with it. It will instead be channeled through other groups, which aids the palestinians directly. Also, 50 million of the 200 will go to Israel to pay for some crossing facility.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 02:56 PM

So 1/4 of "aid" to Palestine will actually go to Israel?

And people wonder why the Palestinians didn't accept this. My guess is that the US put in something that would make it certain that the Palestinians wouldn't accept it to make them look bad.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

PacHead
Baninated
May 10, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell

And people wonder why the Palestinians didn't accept this. My guess is that the US put in something that would make it certain that the Palestinians wouldn't accept it to make them look bad.
Um, actually I think they did accept it. They're entitled to zero dollars, I'm sure they'll take what they can get.

So basically, they're taking the money, while calling it a slap in the face. The USA should show them what a real slap in the face looks like. If they wanted to put their money where their mouths are, they should have declined.

This reminds me of when I gave some bum-begger 25 cents in the street a long time ago, and the genius started to complain.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
This reminds me of when I gave some bum-begger 25 cents in the street a long time ago, and the genius started to complain.
Have you shown him what a real slap in the face is? LOL!

Taliesin

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2005, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell

So why USA give aid to any country? Be nice guy? Maybe. Make country friendly to USA? Maybe.

Why USA give free health care to immigrent? Be nice big daddy? Maybe. Make immigrent stay in USA? Maybe.

USA do many good thing to be nice guy but USA do many things to encourage certain behaviors.

The US wants to encourage better relations between the Palestinians and the Israelis. If the aid money to the Palestinians comes with stipulations it is probably desined to promote positive changes that might not happen without the aid money and the stipulations.

The cynicism of your comment reflects the level of illness that exists surrounding the whole issue. If the US can't use reason to get both sides to do what is clearly in everyone's best interests then money must be used judiciously to effect positive change.

We can only thank all the Gods in heaven (lol) that even amidst the mind numbing hatred that the profit (Greed?) motivation remains alive and well.

Another thing to consider, although this is a bit of a stretch, is that if Abbas really wants to lead his people to statehood and everything wonderful, he may have asked or agreed that the money not be given him directly.

Remember, Arafat used money to buy allegiance and loyalty. There are any numbers of money grubbers who would love Abbas to have money becuase they might once again be in line for some sweet hand-outs. If Abbas didn't give them the money they want, they could force his hand and maybe force him out by threatening and then following through with more terrorist attacks.

By not having the money given him directly he avoids this potential problem yet the money goes where it is needed and to good use.

A bit far fetched, but it is something to ponder before judging things on face value, alone.
( Last edited by Eynstyn; May 11, 2005 at 07:03 AM. )
President Bush, Get Out Of Iraq Now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules