Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Nancy Pelosi / Dubya share low approval rating

Nancy Pelosi / Dubya share low approval rating
Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2007, 08:22 PM

Why is it that a 40% approval rating is awful when it comes to being the President - but it's no big deal when the Speaker of the House has a similar approval rating? I can't help but think that a 40% approval rating has to be a bad thing - no matter what elected position you hold.

Hell, Nancy Pelosi is *starting* with a low approval rating! All indications are that it can go nowhere but down. At least Dubya had something close to an 85% approval rating in 2001 when he began his term. If Nancy Pelosi were to drop the same 45 percentage points in approval, she would be in the negative numbers.

I just find it odd that Dubya is portrayed as having "failed" based on his approval rating, but Nancy Pelosi is portrayed as having succeeded.

This is going to be the best 2 years the Republicans could ever hope for. All indications seem to point to the fact that Democrats are going to do exactly what they promised not to do. The same issues they tout as being the reason they were elected - are the issues they are abandoning. Even a drooling idiot could have predicted as much.

(links to approval polls)

Political Tracking Poll: Nancy Pelosi

FOXNews.com - President Bush's Approval Rating - Polls | AP Polls | Gallup Poll | Opinion Polls

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 08:30 PM

First, I think any polls on Pelosi are premature. I would argue that most Americans haven't a clue about the woman.

Second, you're comparing apples and oranges. If you compare her rating with the outgoing Speaker (who was at 24%), she's doing very well.

Third, it was 43%.. not 40%... not sure why you decided to round DOWN.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 08:31 PM

Everyone's angry at Congress right now. I'm in support of a constitutional Amendment disqualifying anyone in the last Congress from ever holding public office again, not even as dogcatcher, because they did such a lousy job.

I'm more suprised that 5% of respondants consider Pelosi "conservative". I'd hate to see what they consider "liberal"....

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2007, 08:40 PM

The only time Bush had an 85% approval rating was in the 3 months after 9/11. Oddly enough, that spike he enjoyed was not from anything Bush had done up to that point, but based on what he promised to do about the problem, after the fact. Apparently people thought he didn't do a good enough job.

Bush started with a 55-60% in the first 9 months, not 85%, but what are facts anyway? Bush was directly elected by the US people in a one-on-one election, so him having an approval slightly greater than 50% sounds about right.

Pelosi was not directly elected by the US people, so despite the Democrats being elected into a majority this past election, it was not due to Pelosi.
( Last edited by Warren Pease; Jan 5, 2007 at 08:58 PM. )

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 08:56 PM

The problem is that not enough people have heard of her to approve of her. Compare their disapproval ratings: Bush's disapproval is 60%, Pelosi's disapproval is 22%.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2007, 12:37 AM

i'm not surprised...she looks mean and it looks like some spankin' is a do....

i wouldn't want her to be my mom / grandmother but i'm glad she's the speaker!

Railroader
Banned
Jan 6, 2007, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
Why is it that a 40% approval rating is awful when it comes to being the President - but it's no big deal when the Speaker of the House has a similar approval rating?
Media bias?

Pelosi is playing it pretty loose and making some huge mistakes. I am surprised more people don't disapprove of her.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2007, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post

This is going to be the best 2 years the Republicans could ever hope for. All indications seem to point to the fact that Democrats are going to do exactly what they promised not to do. The same issues they tout as being the reason they were elected - are the issues they are abandoning. Even a drooling idiot could have predicted as much.
yyep.

If we are lucky we'll get a good 3rd party into the mix. Both sides make me sick to my stomach for one reason or another, mainly just about selling us out to maintain their power/wealth.

Everyone's angry at Congress right now. I'm in support of a constitutional Amendment disqualifying anyone in the last Congress from ever holding public office again, not even as dogcatcher, because they did such a lousy job.
Are you that obtuse? unemployment would go through the roof!!!! .

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Media bias?
Liberals have neocons and conservatives have media bias

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
The problem is that not enough people have heard of her to approve of her. Compare their disapproval ratings: Bush's disapproval is 60%, Pelosi's disapproval is 22%.
Don't bring facts into this. Spin is much easier to regurgitate.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Don't bring facts into this. Spin is much easier to regurgitate.
Sorry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules