Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Build to order and dead pixels

Build to order and dead pixels
mayoke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2007, 02:07 AM

so i have read that apple's policy is that if you get a built to order mac you cannot return it for any reason other than if it just doesn't work when it arrives... what about dead pixels? what is apple's policy (both with the standard settings and the built to order models?) I'm thinking of getting a 2.6 ghz 15" mbp... but the "cannot be returned for any reason" scares me off... i don't really need the extra .2 ghz... i just think that getting the best options available at the time maximize the lifespan of the product (note: never had a mac before, but i hear they last REALLY long). So what happens if you get a BTO and it has dead pixels??

iMan G5
Dec 21, 2007, 07:24 AM

I am pretty sure that apple would take it back.... btw I wouldn't be that worried about dead pixels. I have an iMac G5 with is over 2 years old and no dead pixels. If you have a regular MBP there is a 14 day return period where anything is wrong you can send it back. dunno about bto's

mayoke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2007, 08:30 AM

i'm more worried about it arriving with dead pixels than them going dead after years of use (which is sort of acceptable i guess...) I've just had some bad luck before with buying lcd monitors etc... and ending up with massive amounts of dead pixels and having to return/exchange them... I just don't want to be stuck with the mac and it's dead pixels just because i got a minor upgrade... maybe i should ask at the apple store first

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2007, 08:52 AM

They will probably tell you that you cant do anything about it. but ask about the return policy. is there a restocking fee?

You just have to pray you dont get any dead pixels. MBP have been dead pixel free for me so far. i have had 2 previous machines as well as the one i have now and no dead pixels. I think because it is a premium product the manufacturing standard is higher for the components (so im told). so you may be in luck with a mbp.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 09:02 AM

BTO's have NO return policy short of DOA. that means that if you get a unit with dead pixels you'll have to have it sent in for repair not getting a new one.
Here's apple's own statement on the subject
Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival (see the section below for more detailed information on such Dead on Arrival products).
since your options are rather limited on the BTO, I'd go and get a stock model and keep your options open.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2007, 09:12 AM

I don't see any ambiguity in Apple's Sales and Refund Policy:

Return and Refund Policy
Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival.
Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:
* Product that is custom configured to your specifications

Dead On Arrival (DOA) Product: System Failure Out of the Box
An Apple-branded hardware product is considered DOA if it shows symptoms of a hardware failure, preventing basic operability, when you first use it after opening the box.

gpeden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2007, 12:04 PM

As much as I hated to do it, I purchased from a chain store with a no-questions 15 day return policy, particularly for the the dead pixel possibility in the face of Apple's policy on dead pixels. I even paid full retail versus an employee purchase plan so that I might have this "liberty". This also satisfied my "want it now" urges I'm still glad that I did this, but in retrospect, having hung out in this Macbook forum for the last 6 weeks, I might have considered going for a refurbished unit.

Cheers!

Glen
Cheers!

Glen

Forum Links
Forum Rules