Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question about Webcam usage with External Camera

Question about Webcam usage with External Camera
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008, 10:28 PM

I purchased a Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision recently and can't get it to work on my Mac Pro. I see no sign it's recognizing it. I thought for awhile maybe I have a faulty camera or even a version of the Ultra Vision that may not support UVC. I was just in an Apple Store today and saw a Quickcam Ultra Vision MP but from what I've read on Google this is the exact same model as I have, just repackaged for Apple.
My question, once I did more research I often saw it referred to as being used with iChat. I can't even find iChat on my computer and not sure what happened to it but I don't need it for iChat usage. I want it a lot for use with PhotoBooth and also I want it for security use. One use I'd use it for is since this computer is in the office I'd like to be able to view the camera from my home where it would have a view of the office. I have heard there are programs such as Evocam that use it. Because of that iChat usage isn't of much use to me. Does the Ultra Vision work with PhotoBooth? I'm unable to get it to work with PhotoBooth so am not sure if it's the camera or just PhotoBooth. Also, if this isn't going to work with it what is another camera I should look at? One I have considered it the XBox 360 Live Vision. I don't like that it doesn't have a microphone but I know I can purchase a Microphone separately. Would it work with Photobooth or these others? Also, what about the Sony EyeToy or the newer Sony PS3 Eye or even some of the other Logitech cameras?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 15, 2008, 11:58 AM

The Xbox 360 camera works.

Some logitech models work with iChat and PhotoBooth.

Answer

robbiejedi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2008, 06:02 PM

Hi mate,

On Friday I bought a Logitech QuickCam IM and it wouldn't work with anything on my system. I don't know if it'll help you, but I downloaded the Macam drivers and installed them and - hey presto - it works with every app I've tried: Skype, iChat etc.

You can download the Macam drivers from Versiontracker here: macam 0.9.1 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

I'm running an Intel Mac Pro and MacOSX 10.4.

Cheers,
Rob.

Forum Links
Forum Rules