Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone ordered from Apple: when does it transfer the mobile number?

iPhone ordered from Apple: when does it transfer the mobile number?
Cold Warrior
Dec 5, 2009, 03:25 PM

If I order an iPhone from Apple's site, where it asks about transferring a current mobile number, when does that number get transferred (thereby terminating the present service) -- shortly after you purchase it or only when you activate it through iTunes?

edit: I'm in the US.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Dec 5, 2009 at 04:13 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2009, 04:09 PM

Over here, the number gets transferred as soon as (well, within a day or so of when) your former service is terminated. Activation is a separate process that does not necessarily coincide with the transfer.

I activated my iPhone two weeks before the old contract was terminated and the phone function actually went live on the iPhone's SIM - it was basically a GPS/compass-equipped iPod touch until then.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Dec 5, 2009, 04:15 PM

In the US an attempt at number transfer will automatically terminate service on the other line, which makes my timing important: too soon and I get hit with a fee.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2009, 04:48 PM

When the iPhone first came out it was when it was activated by iTunes, I assume it's the same.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
In the US an attempt at number transfer will automatically terminate service on the other line, which makes my timing important: too soon and I get hit with a fee.
Ah, I see.

Over here, you can't actually apply for a number transfer without proof that you've terminated your contract for a certain date.

It might be that there's no appropriate infrastructure in place to allow a company to terminate another company's contract, or that a phone number has to be properly released before it's transferred to another carrier - either way, it's all in customers' hands, here.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Dec 20, 2009, 10:19 PM

well I decided to order from at&t's site since they appeared to let me order two iphones at once (something apple does not). I ordered Friday but just got an email about them canceling the order. Stupid at&t. I'm not even a subscriber yet and they can't get it right.

Anyway, I'll just walk into one of their stores tomorrow and pick up two. I hear you can activate at home via iTunes, including porting a number.

zacharace
Dec 21, 2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
well I decided to order from at&t's site since they appeared to let me order two iphones at once (something apple does not). I ordered Friday but just got an email about them canceling the order. Stupid at&t. I'm not even a subscriber yet and they can't get it right.

Anyway, I'll just walk into one of their stores tomorrow and pick up two. I hear you can activate at home via iTunes, including porting a number.
I don't believe iTunes activation is an option anymore--only for 2G iPhones. My 3G was activated at the store (in this case, a Best Buy Mobile outlet), but maybe there's still a backdoor? Porting is done through AT&T; I had no need to do this, so I can't (unfortunately) offer any guidance. My guess would be at the store during/after activation.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2009, 06:58 PM

There actually is a way to activate current iPhones... you'll need the prefpane "Secrets." It'll have the option to activate iPhones underneath iTunes options.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Dec 21, 2009, 09:22 PM

I went by a corporate store today and had to activate there. No worries, it went smoothly. I just got a new number and will port in a week or two.

zacharace
Dec 22, 2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
There actually is a way to activate current iPhones... you'll need the prefpane "Secrets." It'll have the option to activate iPhones underneath iTunes options.
Interesting...I thought there was, but hadn't heard for sure, so I didn't say so .

OP, glad to hear everything worked out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules