Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New 20" ACD! *PICS*

New 20" ACD! *PICS*
Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2005, 06:21 PM

FedEx dropped off my 20" Cinema Display yesterday!!! Man this thing is beautiful....so crisp, so vibrant!!!! And wow...does this open up my workspace for Illustrator, and Photoshop!!! Much needed. Hooked it up to my PC, that's what I'm mainly going to be using it on. And it's running just great! It's running off a GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB card.

Here's some quick pics I took...

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 06:39 PM

Lovely! Congratulations.

Silly question: can you take a picture from the back? I wonder how this would look on my office desk, which faces the door.

Minty Fresh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2005, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Lovely! Congratulations.

Silly question: can you take a picture from the back? I wonder how this would look on my office desk, which faces the door.
Would be kinda hard...my desk is against the wall. You mean just to see what the back of the Screen looks like?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 06:59 AM

Nice screen!

This kind of thing bugs me though, its a widescreen film, on a widescreen screen, and it STILL has the black letterbox bars at the top and bottom .

Do these screens still have the 'Theater Mode' that made the screen brighter when watching a DVD?

And where did you get the wallpaper of the guy with the needles in him?...actually, whats going on there, is that an app? there's a bar in the top left hand side, then widgets/dashboards in the top left .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:
Nice screen!

This kind of thing bugs me though, its a widescreen film, on a widescreen screen, and it STILL has the black letterbox bars at the top and bottom .

Do these screens still have the 'Theater Mode' that made the screen brighter when watching a DVD?

And where did you get the wallpaper of the guy with the needles in him?...actually, whats going on there, is that an app? there's a bar in the top left hand side, then widgets/dashboards in the top left .
When you look on the back of a DVD, make sure it says 16:9 ratio if it says anything else like 1:85:1 that means it's super short letterbox format. With 16:9 you won't have any black bars.

kikkoman
Senior User
Feb 6, 2005, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
When you look on the back of a DVD, make sure it says 16:9 ratio if it says anything else like 1:85:1 that means it's super short letterbox format. With 16:9 you won't have any black bars.
The Cinema Dispalys are 16:10 so there will be thin black bars on 16:9 films.

Minty Fresh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2005, 01:29 PM

The movie is on my HDD, in DIVX format...not sure how an actual DVD would look. But like kikkoman said, it's 16:10, so there will still be black bars...not sure if they'll always be that wide though. I'll check an let ya know.

The little guy with the needles is just a wallpaper. Here's a copy...
http://members.tccoa.com/mfpics/Tech...perfection.jpg

The widgets you see in the upper right hand corner (clock, weather, and cpu) are Konfabulator. www.konfabulator.com Nice little program...kinda like Dashboard in Tiger.

The thing you see in the upper left hand corner, is Winamp, with just a skin.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by kikkoman:
The Cinema Dispalys are 16:10 so there will be thin black bars on 16:9 films.
It also depends on what aspect it was filmed in.

Congrats on the 20"!!!!! It's the one I want.

I. am. envious.

ilvwhtgrls
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 09:02 PM

OT owns you.. tehehe

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2005, 04:59 AM

HDTV: 1.77 (16:9)
Standard Cinema: 1.85
CinemaScope: 2.33
Cinerama: 2.59

It depends on the movie, and the optics used. To lure people from television (1.33), movies went widescreen - and the wider the better! Anything wider than 16:10 will have black lines top and bottom.

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2005, 08:05 AM

Congratulations on the 20", it looks fantastic - nice pictures too. I want... I want... I want...

OreoCookie
Feb 7, 2005, 09:20 AM

niiiiiiiiiice!!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Minty Fresh:
The widgets you see in the upper right hand corner (clock, weather, and cpu) are Konfabulator. www.konfabulator.com Nice little program...kinda like Dashboard in Tiger.
I have Also just got a 20". I am very impressed, it's even better then my old Apple 15".
I have found that with the increased width Konfabulator widgets are actually quite good. They can sit there an be out of the way, without getting covered up, or being 'in the way' like when I first tried them on my old screen.

Additional question for other mac users of this screen.
Is there any way to get my existing desktop pic's to 'stretch' over the new shape of desktop (my existing pics ether float in the centre of the screen or have huge borders), without manually resizing them in Photoshop or re-downloading them.

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 8, 2005, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by macmad:
HDTV: 1.77 (16:9)
Standard Cinema: 1.85
CinemaScope: 2.33
Cinerama: 2.59

It depends on the movie, and the optics used. To lure people from television (1.33), movies went widescreen - and the wider the better!
Which isn't true. Movies went widescreen to fit more people into theaters. And wider isn't better. It depends what's being filmed. Lawrence of Arabia sure looks great in wide format but The Clockwork Orange works best almost full frame.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:

Additional question for other mac users of this screen.
Is there any way to get my existing desktop pic's to 'stretch' over the new shape of desktop (my existing pics ether float in the centre of the screen or have huge borders), without manually resizing them in Photoshop or re-downloading them.
Doesn't System Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop > Stretch to fill screen work?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2005, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:
Doesn't System Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop > Stretch to fill screen work?
That dropdown is 'missing' on the pref pannel, ether it went on the 'Panther' upgrade and I never noticed, or the display detection (the one that changes the screen pannel) has removed it?

danman
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 05:28 PM

Where did you get this background from? I like it!

http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/upload/cd4.jpg

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2005, 07:59 AM

Read a few posts up and you'll find out

http://members.tccoa.com/mfpics/Tech...perfection.jpg

Forum Links
Forum Rules