Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > question before I get an iPod.......

question before I get an iPod.......
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 12:25 AM

I'm pretty close to buying a 15 gig iPod.

My question is, my ibook only has a 20 gig HD in it. I have about 15 gigs worth of MP3s on discs and such that I've archived over the years. Now how am I supposed to fill up my ipod. I only have about 8 gigs of room for MP3s on my ibook now. Everytime you connect the ipod to the ibook, will it erase the contents of the ipod and fill it up with whats on there then, or am I way off base??

thanks in advance
Kent

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2003, 12:34 AM

get a bigger HD

n_lim
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 12:41 AM

If I am not mistaken, when you connect your ipod you can choose to manage the list manually. Which means that you can keep the files on just your iPod and add to it as you like. Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but if you do this then you can have the 15 gigs of music on your ipod and free up your hd space for everything else. I have been meaning to do this as well, but need to back-up everything first before only depending on the ipod.

Just too lazy
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 01:12 AM

well I was wondering if you could transfer 1 song at a time to the iPod while keeping everything else the same. Pain in the butt if you cant!!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2003, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
well I was wondering if you could transfer 1 song at a time to the iPod while keeping everything else the same. Pain in the butt if you cant!!
Just put it in manual mode. The only problem with manual mode is that it doesn't sync the playcounts and so forth, since you're not actually "syncing" at all, just copying files over to the iPod.

Forum Links
Forum Rules