Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Microsoft & more security issues.

Microsoft & more security issues.
dillerX
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 09:18 PM

Not that this is a suprise ro anyone, but I enjoyed it.

Microsoft discloses more security cracks in Windows

Associated Press

Published Sep 19, 2002
WIND20REDMOND, Wash. -- Microsoft Corp. on Thursday disclosed more flaws in its Windows operating systems, the most serious of which could let an outside attacker take over a computer.

The software company advised that all users of Windows install a free patch to fix flaws in its ``virtual machine'' for translating applications written in the Java programming language. Microsoft termed the threat ``critical.''

Microsoft also disclosed ``moderate'' flaws in Windows 2000 and XP and advises administrators of Windows 2000 servers and end users of Windows XP to download a patch. The flaws involve a failure to encrypt certain kinds of data and an error that causes Windows XP to fail when sent certain kinds of bad data.

The flaws, detailed on Microsoft's Web site, are the company's 51st and 52nd security bulletins of the year.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2002, 09:26 PM

what else is new

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

arrested502
Senior User
Sep 19, 2002, 09:42 PM

Why do people even use Windows?!?

52 security holes in just a little over 9 months?!? That's rediculous.
"Devil ether, it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance. Numb Tongue. The mind recoills in horror. Unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interresting, because you can watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it"

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2002, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by arrested502:
52 security holes in just a little over 9 months?!? That's rediculous.
Actually, that's not so bad...

VRL
Senior User
Sep 20, 2002, 05:03 AM

Did any of you see the little news item in the September issue of Scientific American? (Relevant since Microsoft is mentioned by name in the actual report.)

"Software Bugs Cost U.S. Economy $59.6 Billion Annually, RTI Study Finds
Software bugs are costly both to software producers and users. Extrapolating from estimates of the costs in several software-intensive industries, bugs may be costing the U.S. economy $59.5 billion a year; about 0.6 percent of gross domestic product, says a study conducted by RTI for the U.S. Department of Commerce's National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)."

Surprised this didn't make headline news. ... OTOH, I'm not surprised.

If you care to read more:
http://www.rti.org/page.cfm?objectid...7E0FA3C04D9E22

Forum Links
Forum Rules