Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Election Meddling: NBD, All the Cool Kids are Doing it, Mom

Election Meddling: NBD, All the Cool Kids are Doing it, Mom (Page 2)
andi*pandi
Mar 6, 2020, 09:46 PM

Gabbard? Lol. She still hasn't dropped out even though her percentage was lower than Pete, Amy, Liz, or Tom Steyer. Not even sure where she falls on the D spectrum, not left, not centrist.

Warren was ghosted by the media until the Bloomberg takedown, with some exceptions (Hi Globe!). CNN etc literally left her off the charts even before the primaries started.

That said, I read a lot of insight into Biden's surge, and it has a lot to do with restoring decorum, and realizing that we will have a heckuva transition after trump, and people like comfort food.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2020, 10:08 PM

Restore decorum? Diamond Joe?

OreoCookie
Mar 6, 2020, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
For every Breitbart and Daily Caller there’s a HuffPo, a Vox, a TruthOut, a CommonDreams, a Vice, a Daily Kos, and a Salon.
Your argument ignores that they don't all have the same impact. It is right-wing sites like The Daily Caller that dominate Facebook's shared articles, not Vox's. Nor does that mean that Youtube leans left, usually with the added implication that they penalize predominantly right-wing channels by e. g. demonetizing them.

Large mainstream media have an urban, well-educated bias. That strongly correlates in some areas with Democratic policies, but does not always.

The heads of Silicon Valley have liberal social policies, but lean libertarian (just think of the credos of Uber, Facebook and Airbnb). They don't want to be regulated, and they value making money. Zuckerberg has been stretching out his feelers to the Trump Administration since they got in power. And IMHO the reason is simple: he doesn't want Facebook broken up.

Ditto for the actual moderation: all of these companies lean towards making money. That includes using sensationalist headlines and takes, making things click-baity and for Youtube and Facebook to promote content that maximizes engagement. And anger creates more engagement than love, that's been scientifically proven.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2020, 08:40 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 03:15 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 9, 2020, 08:39 AM

If anyone will have a nuanced and well-reasoned view of "the Liberal Media" it will definitely be el chupacabra.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2020, 06:05 AM

As a more objective observer than most of you will accept, it is clear that the majority of US media is left-leaning. Over here our printed press is 90% right wing and we have relied on the BBC to balance them out but since being repeatedly threatened by conservative governments, they have become utterly useless. Its hard to call them outright right-wing, but they are indulging the right, failing to hold them to account, and not treating the left the same way so the upshot is the same.

The thing about left and right biased news media, is that they are not equal and opposite. The left wing media is far less biased to the left, than the right wing is towards the right. Left media will criticise their own and take them down when they do things wrong. Right wing media denies all wrong doing as long as possible, lies through their teeth, deliberately spreads misinformation and outright makes shit up to further a political agenda. The left has some integrity and moral fibre, the right has no such handicaps.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2020, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
As a more objective observer than most of you will accept, it is clear that the majority of US media is left-leaning.
I keep saying this, but no one believes me.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2020, 11:33 PM

I seem to have missed this utter shitshow of a post until now.

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
liberals by & large are apolitical, unintellectual
Thats why your universities are almost all considered liberal institutions. You know universities, where intellectuals go to study and conduct research and publish highly intellectual literature?

Most liberals consider politics to be for nerds. Smoking weed, drinking, partying, watching family guy/southpark/SNL/etc & joking or bragging about ‘gettin pussy’, consumes the majority of liberals’ past-times.
You have a current, conservative POTUS (cue cries of "He's not a real conservative", who was caught on tape "joking" about grabbing pussy. Or maybe you're saying that when conservatives do it, they aren't joking. By defending him, it seems reasonable to assume that conservatives are mostly OK with this behaviour. Remind me how the liberals reacted to it....

A cursory search didn't turn up anything useful regarding the political affiliation of your typical US sex offender. I'm now curious if there are more rapists who vote one way or the other. I know where my money would be.

Liberals prefer sites like twitter that have character limits so they dont have to read a lot while encouraging people to post political points in the form of tribal rallying zingers they can laugh at.
Twitter is literally Trump's preferred method of communicating with everyone. He got elected on the basis of a short slogan because conservatives don't have the attention spans for the more complicated truths about pretty much anything.

They can make fun of the tea party country bumpkins all they want but theyve never had an equal movement due to their political apathy.
You don't need a stupid movement when you're on the side that history will bear out as the very obviously correct one.

They have no unity, cant agree on a decent moderate candidate to defeat Trump,
They seem to be choosing between a moderate and a progressive right now. That would seem to indicate that they've reached a consensus on a moderate candidate.

Theyre basically handing next election to Trump.
Thank goodness for the Coronavirus eh?
( Last edited by reader50; Mar 11, 2020 at 11:51 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote tag)
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2020, 11:40 PM

I keep saying this, but no one believes me.
I should qualify that I mean the conventional media, printed and broadcast. As mentioned, the internet is a different beast. The vertical integration between the two on the right is interesting though. I've noticed that all the total bullshit stories you see on Fox etc are carefully phrased with escape clauses like "Reports are coming that..." so they can regurgitate the contents of some incel wannabe-unabomber's blog as if its a credible verified source without being sued. Likewise whenever these things are published on RW websites they can nearly always be backtracked to a single originator via direct links and/or copy/pasted language.

I still have some faith that the editorial process you used to see on The Newsroom when they wouldn't run a story without two sources might actually happen in the left leaning outlets while the process on the right likely involves running it past some shady GOP member or big donor to check it furthers the cause and doesn't adversely affect business before it goes on air.

andi*pandi
Mar 12, 2020, 12:10 PM

^
^
:applause:

There may be more left-leaning outlets, but they are hindered by a) journalistic integrity, and b) not yelling as loud.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2020, 12:25 PM

Relatively speaking, that’s a fair point.

Never really gotten to that point in the last 10 years because the premise it’s based on gets constantly denied.

For whatever it’s worth, I have far less issue with the media being left (which is something I can compensate for) than people denying it’s left.

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 12, 2020, 01:13 PM

For whatever it’s worth, I have far less issue with the media being left (which is something I can compensate for) than people denying it’s left.
There's also the very real comparative effect of the right unrelentingly heading further and further rightward, making even staid, middle-of-the-road news look radically liberal in relative terms. They may look left, relatively speaking, but are actually pretty much centrist.

And the "you're either with us or agin us" mindset of the right, decrying any criticism (valid though it may be) as being radical libera propaganda, only adds to the effect.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
There's also the very real comparative effect of the right unrelentingly heading further and further rightward, making even staid, middle-of-the-road news look radically liberal in relative terms. They may look left, relatively speaking, but are actually pretty much centrist.
If I’m right wing and move right, and then the media moves right to match, it’s still just as left to me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2020, 03:19 PM

Does anyone here actively consume right wing media enough to be considered an authority on it? I sure as hell don’t.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2020, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
There may be more left-leaning outlets, but they are hindered by a) journalistic integrity, and b) not yelling as loud.
If we’re going to talk loud, right wing media only exists as a response to how all-pervasive the left’s volume used to be.

Ask a right winger to (non-snarkily) fake being a left winger. They can easily do it because that’s media the country soaks in.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2020, 11:59 PM

This is insightful to anyone who hasn't seen it:

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2020, 12:39 AM

I used to be a daily watcher of Nancy Grace, and it was during the Casey Anthony case.

It was utter trash, which is why I watched it. What makes that more popular than super-serious shit isn’t really a mystery.

As an aside, the guests weren’t there to agree with Nancy, they were there to get curb-stomped by her, which was the best part of the show.

As another aside, when we would play the Nancy Grace drinking game, “TOT MOM”, heard in this very clip, was time for a drink.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 13, 2020 at 05:22 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules