Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Simpsons Renewed (2005)

The Simpsons Renewed (2005)
dillerX
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2003, 06:38 AM

I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Thrax
Banned
Jan 18, 2003, 06:53 AM

I propose that we limit television shows to a maximum of five seasons.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 18, 2003, 07:08 AM

..and I propose that you shut the hell up guy.

I love the Simpsons, the writing is pure genious. Charm, wit, and mountains of glorious satire are rolled into the worlds best show.

Pikeman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2003, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Cubeoid:
I love the Simpsons, the writing is pure genious.
Heh, the horrible irony.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 18, 2003, 09:11 AM

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2003, 10:23 AM

In recent years I have become a Simpsons fan. Clever social satire.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2003, 10:29 AM

Awesome. I've loved the Simpsons since they came out. Had a few slow years, but I'm glad to see they'll be around for at least two more years.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 10:51 AM

It is awesome. I would get a TiVo Just so I can record all the episodes that are on (new and reruns and showing in syndication)

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 18, 2003, 10:59 AM

It doesn't hurt to know that the brilliant writers have an affinity for macs too. Mr Burns is a primo character in my opinion.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2003, 11:19 AM

simpsons this season has been great

at any rate, better than the other crap out there

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
It is awesome. I would get a TiVo Just so I can record all the episodes that are on (new and reruns and showing in syndication)
Maybe I've seen too many of the shows too often in their first run, but I hate the syndication episodes. They will take out 1 or 2 scenes for time purposes (more commercials). And I know what should be coming up, but then they skip it.... bugs the crap outta me. That 's why I can't wait for all of the Simpsons seasons to be released on DVD. (When is season 3 coming out?)

Actually, I still watch the syndication reruns cuz I love the Simpsons... my wife hates it even more, because I'll b*tch about the scene that they removed for about 10 minutes.

Jeez, I need to get out more.....

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 12:41 PM

Yeah, like in the Homerpalooza episode, they took out the part with Otto saying : "Dude, my shoes are talking to."

Sometimes they do that , I mean, it does not really take anything away, just a bit laugh... and it probably is for time purposes or maybe the creators did not like it!

as2
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 01:58 PM

Stupid money grabbing companies...

I'd start the 'Keep our episodes in-tact' petition if I could be bothered!

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2003, 02:54 PM

I like Southpark better. Don't understand this as flaming the Simpsons, but Eric Cartman is by far the most funny thing you can see on TV, IMHO.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2003, 02:57 PM

The Simpson's need to throw in the towel. It is my all time favorite show, and it is very near and dear to me. It pains me to watch the show now, however, because the current creative staff has lost all concept of what made the show good for so long.

Quit while you still have a shred of dignaty!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2003, 02:58 PM

eric cartman is funny, but south park in my mind lacks a certain sort of charm

also, i think SP suffers from it's own sucess. you can't be outrageously funny in every single episode...you get sick of it and what you considered outrageous (now because of the very show) is not really that outrageous.

for me, after the movie (which i liked)...the show was never the same

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
The Simpson's need to throw in the towel. It is my all time favorite show, and it is very near and dear to me. It pains me to watch the show now, however, because the current creative staff has lost all concept of what made the show good for so long.

in your opinion

the show has come around this and last year

i'm glad the staff changed. it makes for a fresh look and new take on things.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2003, 03:02 PM

Glad that the Simpsons have gotten back a cohesiveness this season that they've lacked the last couple of years. Totally, absolutely crazy storylines only last for so long. "Worst. Episode. Ever." was pretty darn true for awhile there, week after week, haha.

South Park is also quite smart, smarter than I initially gave them credit for.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
South Park is also quite smart, smarter than I initially gave them credit for.
Me, too. It came at the time, when I got the Episodes in English. The German translation is - as it is so often - not that good.

Over here in Germany, the Simpsons are kind of "over-hyped", maybe that's one reason for me to give SP the point.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 03:55 PM

Has the Simpsons actually gotten that much better this season? Many of you seem to be saying so, but I've sort of fiegned interrest in the show, because to me, the last several seasons were just stale. I haven't gone out of my way to watch it like I used to a few years ago.

If it really has gotten better then I'm all for keeping it going, but I'd rather have seen Futurama take the place of the Simpsons, to be honest. It would have been nicer to just see something fresh take the place of The Simpsons, rather than the same old scenario. Groening had some great material with Futurama IMHO. Sadly, it was also extremely expensive to produce, but that's a non-issue here.

Maybe what Goening should do is change the Simpsons around a bit, possibly have Bart and Lisa grown-up (finally. Hey, it worked in at least one of the old episodes). Unfortunately, as we've all seen in the past, FOX� (or as I like to call them, FUX) doesn't promote originality at all.

Lately it's been all about South Park for me, but I guess I'll have to tune-in to the Simpsons tomorrow night to see if all this talk about it getting better really is true.

I mostly feel that it is time to put the Simpsons "to bed" forever. Don't get me wrong here though, I'd just like to see something totally new and fresh from Groening (like Futurama was).

MikeM

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2003, 04:09 PM

I still love to watch the simpsons when I can.

But I'm horrible with the tv schedule, every time I remember what time it's on, they change it.

But gotta agree, I find the simpsons funnier than south park anyday, and now, my mom doesn't let me watch south park, can't blame her, either, becuase it's so damn dirty!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 06:40 PM

I really like The Simpsons, but I think it can only be original and interesting for a limited number of years. Certainly it can do more than five, but I have heard that they are starting to think about ending it. (Apparently not until at least 2005, though.)

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
But gotta agree, I find the simpsons funnier than south park anyday, and now, my mom doesn't let me watch south park, can't blame her, either, becuase it's so damn dirty!
Momma's boy!!!

MikeM

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2003, 06:51 PM

This was bad news to me. I can't wait for the Simpsons to just end, and stop degrading the reputation of what was once a great television series.

I'd also like to see Futurama replace the Simpsons, but this is Futurama's last season. Still catch the Critic reruns on Comedy Central, that was a great show as well.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Thrax:
I propose that we limit television shows to a maximum of five seasons.
Why?

I liked the simpsons up until about season 11 episode 18

Now the simpsons is just stupid

Thrax
Banned
Jan 18, 2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by IUJHJSDHE:
Why?
Because almost every good series goes downhill after the fifth.

The Simpsons is no exception. It started going downhill during the sixth season and became unwatchable by the ninth.

In my opinion.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Thrax:
Because almost every good series goes downhill after the fifth.

The Simpsons is no exception. It started going downhill during the sixth season and became unwatchable by the ninth.

In my opinion.
Then I guess we disagree, I loved the simpsons until around season 11.

Originally posted by ort888:

yep. But until they stop getting a lot of money from it, it will continue

Yose
Senior User
Jan 18, 2003, 08:30 PM

Earth Final Conflict, while not everyones cup of tea absolutely sucked in Season 5. Babylon 5's last season wasent very good either. :/
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Thrax
Banned
Jan 18, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Yose:
Earth Final Conflict, while not everyones cup of tea absolutely sucked in Season 5. Babylon 5's last season wasent very good either. :/
But Babylon 5's fifth season was its sixth season. Almost everything that was supposed to be in the fifth season was in the fourth season.

That's what happens when your distributor goes out of business and you don't think someone else will pick your show up.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
This was bad news to me. I can't wait for the Simpsons to just end, and stop degrading the reputation of what was once a great television series.
Have you seen the new episodes? I'm just wondering if the general consensus is that they're of a higher caliber - I think they are, possibly on par with the early-to-mid-90's seasons.

Still catch the Critic reruns on Comedy Central, that was a great show as well.
Oh man, thank you for reminding me about this. It comes on Comedy Central like every weeknight at 2 am or something, I *have* to start loading up a tape full of them so I have them all someday. That show I absolutely loved. I wish Jon Lovitz would do some more humor on TV, or at least pair Groening and Lovitz up again, they're perfect for each other.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
Have you seen the new episodes? I'm just wondering if the general consensus is that they're of a higher caliber - I think they are, possibly on par with the early-to-mid-90's seasons.
i wouldn't go that far, personally, but they are an order of magnitude better than the average episode from the two prior seasons. The number one reason they are better is that Homer is no longer a complete jerk with no redeeming qualities. This season's episodes have him closer to the dimwitted, self-centered, but still kind-hearted Homer of earlier years.

Unfortunately, many stations that syndicate the Simpsons seem to be only playing the past 2-3 years' episodes, and incessantly at that. If i have to watch the episode where Homer is 'Mr. X' on the internet again, i'll scream.

A year ago, this news would make me groan, but now it's fine by me. Now, if they'd only show Futurama more regularly...

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2003, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by calamar1:
Unfortunately, many stations that syndicate the Simpsons seem to be only playing the past 2-3 years' episodes, and incessantly at that. If i have to watch the episode where Homer is 'Mr. X' on the internet again, i'll scream.
At least you *get* it in syndication. I got nothing here.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2003, 01:42 AM

I wouldn't piss on the simpsons if they were on fire. They haven't had a show in the past 4 years that made me more than merely chuckle, and mostly I just see an episode and think "Wow. That used to be good. Oh well."

I didn't watch it for a long time because it got so depressingly bad. Then I tried to give it a spin again, and what episode did I happen to catch? The one where they go to ****ing Africa.

Fox sucks syphilitic ass warts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules