Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The demise of USF1

The demise of USF1
is not
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2010, 04:55 PM

The Charlotte factory of the US F1 team is believed to have effectively closed on Tuesday as workers were instructed to stop working. The outfit has been struggling to make the grid of the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix and has already been reported to have submitted a request to skip the 2010 season.

With the squad established by Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor having revealed its plans in the winter of last year, the ambition to bring the first American team into Formula 1 appears to have died for US F1, for the 2010 season at least.

According to Autosport, the team have informed personnel that work can no longer continue on the run-up to the upcoming season. It has already been reported that team heads are offering F1 governing body the FIA a 7-figure compensation sum to skip what should have been its debut season.

It is believed that neither of the team's two leading figures were present as the announcement was made to staff, with no statement having been released either. When contacted by telephone the following message could be heard: 'The number you have reached has been temporarily disconnected. No additional information is available'.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2010, 05:02 PM

US motorsport is nearly dead.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2010, 05:22 PM

Their website has had nothing new since the end of January, where they said that they had signed Jose Maria Lopez, an Argentinian GP2 driver. When USF1 was first announced, they were bullish about being an 'All American' team, based in America, with American drivers, Danica Patrick was talked about before she signed for NASCAR this year.

The story goes that they originally asked to skip the first 4 races, then skip this year, and now shutting down. Chad Hurley, the Youtube boss (Youtube were their main sponsor), tried to get the team to merge in with one of the other new teams, Stefan or Campos, which would have stabilised the team and got them on the grid for the first race, Anderson and WIndsor vetoed the move. Youtube is now looking to sponsor one of the other new teams. The January pay cheques were late, apparently the bosses went to see the factory a while ago, and asked for a show of hands if anyone thought they wouldn't make the first race, every worker in the factory put their hand up. Its sad for the team and the people who worked for USF1, but I get the feeling the two bosses couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Thorzdad
Mar 2, 2010, 07:46 PM

While I realistically harbored only the barest of hopes USF1 would actually manage to put cars on the grid, this still comes as sad news.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 07:42 AM

The Dream is Over: USF1 assets auctioned off — Autoblog

Its over, the stuff has been auctioned off. But they did actually make more than that nosecone they broke for a crash test (which is all they ever shown as an actual car part while they were still going)... they made a tub

Sold for $8,000. Other bargains include a $400 printer sold for $700!

Eyenigma
Jun 16, 2010, 01:11 AM

F1 will never fully be embraced in this country compared to the likes of roundy-round racing. It's sad to see USF1 disband, but honestly it was a foolhardy attempt to think it could thrive by the team principals. There was never any belief on my part that USF1 would have done anything in the sport - even *IF* they could have gotten a car or two on the grid.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 01:53 AM

Unless you have the funding to at least start a season up front it is always a pipedream. Not many people are willing to sponsor a team that doesn't even have a car. Yeah I wish things had gone differently but it was a long shot. You really should have enough money for the entire first season.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 03:44 AM

BBC Sport - F1 - USF1 hit with ban and heavy fine

They've now been fined and banned from any future entry in F1.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2010, 05:53 AM

A fine? Really? As much as I love the sport,these guys manage to make NASCAR management actually look good.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

downinflames68
Baninated
Jun 26, 2010, 06:25 PM

The problem is America. It's full of fat lazy people that are content to drive boring, piece of shit automobiles. If they actually had any passion for driving, they wouldn't be driving some boring domestic sedan with an automatic, they'd be into things that go fast and turn well. Instead, we get a rebirth of the ponycar, with almost the same formula. The really sad thing is that ponycars and musclecars, in their heyday, were fairly high tech. They took small bodies, and shoved ANY powerplant that could make a lot of power into them. There were v8s, but there were also supercharged engines, mag wheels, composites, and alternative materials to shave weight.

Today? Steel. V8. RWD. It's sad. I think it would be interesting if today's Camaro competed globally, to something more to the likes of the Evo, STi, and Speed3.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
The problem is America. It's full of fat lazy people that are content to drive boring, piece of shit automobiles. If they actually had any passion for driving, they wouldn't be driving some boring domestic sedan with an automatic, they'd be into things that go fast and turn well. Instead, we get a rebirth of the ponycar, with almost the same formula. The really sad thing is that ponycars and musclecars, in their heyday, were fairly high tech. They took small bodies, and shoved ANY powerplant that could make a lot of power into them. There were v8s, but there were also supercharged engines, mag wheels, composites, and alternative materials to shave weight.

Today? Steel. V8. RWD. It's sad. I think it would be interesting if today's Camaro competed globally, to something more to the likes of the Evo, STi, and Speed3.
By your point, it seems that fat, lazy Americans would like yet another show to watch on TV.

The 2011 Mustang is pretty high-tech and just as quick as a M3, but with better grip, and you don't look like a cock driving one. AFAIK, it's lighter as well in manual-transmission form.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jun 26, 2010, 07:20 PM

It might have more grip, but that doesn't mean it's a better driver's car. That thing has a solid rear axle, which means that it's likely to lose traction on uneven surfaces. The M3 would probably kill it on a roadcourse, due to superior handling, response, braking, etc.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2010, 09:57 PM

It might have more grip, but that doesn't mean it's a better driver's car. That thing has a solid rear axle, which means that it's likely to lose traction on uneven surfaces. The M3 would probably kill it on a roadcourse, due to superior handling, response, braking, etc.
I agree with you, but still, not a bad car for half the price. Still not sure what kind of cars Americans are into has to do with USF1 though... most Britons are into 100hp superminis, but that doesn't mean there aren't Jenson Buttons or Lewis Hamiltons.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
A fine? Really? As much as I love the sport,these guys manage to make NASCAR management actually look good.
The FIA takes entrants seriously. It's a big deal to get a slot and if you completely blow it like these ass clowns did, they're going to spank you.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2010, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The FIA takes entrants seriously. It's a big deal to get a slot and if you completely blow it like these ass clowns did, they're going to spank you.
There is nothing to spank. They are bankrupt. Gone. Kaput. They just kept their money ahead of everyone else in bankruptcy court. Worse, they banned a team that no longer exists. (As if that had a point to it.)

I get it. They are lashing out. Perhaps making a point for future ass clowns. Just seems to be redundant.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2010, 02:34 AM

The problem is America. It's full of fat lazy people that are content to drive boring, piece of shit automobiles.
Problem has reached us. I can see Mustangs too often over here. I blame Knight Rider and dumb people.

Camaro is coming to Europe, isn't?. Anyhow, besides the usual suspects, european cars are mostly crap powered by Diesel engines. Dullards.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2010, 09:12 PM

But performance-wise it's the same as the M3 and even better gripping! You've just proved my own point, thanks.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jun 27, 2010, 10:13 PM

>face palm<

only in 0-60 performance. Not in balance, handling, response, braking, etc.

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2010, 10:25 PM

Cleaned up some posts that threatened to derail us.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 28, 2010, 10:28 AM

>face palm<

only in 0-60 performance. Not in balance, handling, response, braking, etc.
Well hey, at least you're being objective about it.

2011 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2010 BMW M3: Tie Game?

At this point, odds are your blood is pumping no matter which side of the ring you happen to find yourself on. Stats that close yield frighteningly similar numbers when the two cars hit the track, too. The M3 can clip off the 0-60 dash in 4.3 seconds. The Mustang can do it in 4.4. Quarter mile? Deadlocked at 12.7 seconds at 111.3 mph.

It's true, a quarter mile doth not a sports car make, which is why these next figures are so important. While the M3 can come down from 60 mph in 105 feet, the Mustang can do the same in 104. And here's the real shocker: Both cars hold onto the skidpad at .97 g. Now, before the comments go superfly TNT, it's worth noting that the as-tested BMW will set you back an eye-widening $28,180 more than the Ford. We could think of a thing or two to do with an extra 30-large.
You're touting speculation as fact.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jun 28, 2010, 09:55 PM

About 10 years ago, I thought skidpad numbers represented a car's handling. Doofy laughed at me, and said that grip isn't everything, and lots of grip does not always mean a good handling car. I laughed at him at the time, but later learned the difference.

It seems that basically you two are about a decade behind me in car knowledge.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 10:02 PM

That was about two years ago, Rob.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 28, 2010, 10:41 PM

About 10 years ago, I thought skidpad numbers represented a car's handling. Doofy laughed at me, and said that grip isn't everything, and lots of grip does not always mean a good handling car. I laughed at him at the time, but later learned the difference.

It seems that basically you two are about a decade behind me in car knowledge.

You're assuming that because I bolded the skidpad numbers, I must believe that skidpad numbers equate to handling capabilities.

Show me proof that the BMW is actually $20,000+ better.

Also, LOL at e-internet-car-knowledge-penis comparisons.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That was about two years ago, Rob.
Was it this thread from five years back?

downinflames68
Baninated
Jun 28, 2010, 11:48 PM

Nope, different one. We were talking about mustangs.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jun 28, 2010, 11:59 PM

So I googled for laptimes to compare the two cars... and no such luck. However, I did find some people pondering the same thing, and I found a few excerpts worth mentioning:

"the current M3 ran the ring in 8:05, same as the Ferrari 575M Maranello F1. The Dodge Viper GTS by comparison ran the ring in 8:10. The current Camaro SS ran the ring in 8:20. We all know the new Mustang GT is a couple ticks faster than the Camaro SS in a straigh line, but the Camaro does have a much better suspension in terms of road holding. It's really only the weight that holds the Camaro back. So, let's split the difference and say the Mustang could do it in 8:15 between the Viper and the Camaro. That would still make the BMW 10 seconds faster, which is an eternity on a race track or for those who play Forza the Mustang would be entering the second to last corner before the straight when the BMW crossed the finish line down the straight."

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2010, 02:33 AM

I'm not so sure the Camaro would be faster than the Mustang around the ring but that's not really the point. If 10 seconds faster at a track you will never drive it on is worth $20 000 to you, hey who am I to judge.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
I'm not so sure the Camaro would be faster than the Mustang around the ring but that's not really the point. If 10 seconds faster at a track you will never drive it on is worth $20 000 to you, hey who am I to judge.
Nooooo...the interior is sooooooooooo much nicerrrrrrrrrrrr.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Blech, the E90 interior is incredibly bland. Matches the bankers who drive them.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 12:00 PM

Nope, different one. We were talking about mustangs.
I thought it was Vipers.

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...re-being-made/
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
Unless you have the funding to at least start a season up front it is always a pipedream.
How do you make a small fortune in F1?

Start with a large one!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Sherwin?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 12:24 PM

Sherwin?
Gossamer?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 01:45 PM

That's lothar56 to you, pal.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jun 29, 2010, 11:24 PM

Yeah totally dude the Mustang GT is every bit as good as the M3, I'm sure they won't sell any BMW M3s whatsoever.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 11:39 PM

downinflames68
Baninated
Jun 30, 2010, 12:13 AM

Yeah totally I'm sure they won't sell at all.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 12:49 AM

Oh, they all sold out, but that's because it's an M3.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 08:38 AM

It's the same reason Nike can sell t-shirts for $18.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jul 2, 2010, 12:48 AM

Yeah nobody will buy an M3. They suck. Mustangs are way better at everything.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2010, 08:22 AM

Yeah nobody will buy an M3. They suck. Mustangs are way better at everything.
Always a pleasure having a rational discussion with you.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jul 3, 2010, 01:22 PM

Im just agreeing with you.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2010, 08:43 PM

Sarcastic agreements don't really count as agreements though.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2010, 10:26 PM

You guys should try out the Jeep Liberty.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2010, 03:11 AM

And do it quick before the italians take them over.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2010, 08:00 AM

LOL NO ONE WILL BUY AN M3 LOL allcaps

downinflames68
Baninated
Jul 4, 2010, 12:17 PM

Totally. Mustangs are better. Especially for people who define themselves with their vehicles.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2010, 01:27 PM

Totally. Mustangs are better. Especially for people who define themselves with their vehicles.
Aren't we all glad that YOU grew out of defining yourself through your vehicles, eh.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2010, 09:22 AM

Ah yes, responding to a real discussion with sarcasm and jackassery once you realize you're wrong. That's the kind of attitude that could end a marria....oh. Right.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2010, 10:47 AM

Ah yes, responding to a real discussion with sarcasm and jackassery once you realize you're wrong. That's the kind of attitude that could end a marria....oh. Right.
and your posts are any different?

Forum Links
Forum Rules