Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dog peed on my book

Dog peed on my book
RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Apr 19, 2009, 02:28 PM

Well actually it is my wifes new macbook, and it seems the damn pooch let go on the rug and the mac absorbed the moisture up into the bottom around the drive among other places. The indicator light showing the battery is taking a charge will not light, and it will not boot. I was a little late in getting to the scene before I found she already tried to boot the machine before drying the thing out.

Any ideas on the problem? The power supply fried.

Weird, We got the guy about a year ago and I found a cute pic of a little Jack Russel(which he is) peeing on the keys of laptop. Not so cute now.

Thanks

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2009, 03:17 PM

Try this thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...r-beer-liquid/

However, if she booted it up before it dried, it's completely dried out at this point, and it still won't boot, chances are high that you're SOL. Once two points of a motherboard come into contact and short something out, the board is permanently dead.

I'm amazed that the plastic on the MacBook is so porous that it would absorb liquid that easily.

You could always just take it to the Apple Store and tell them it quit working. If there aren't moisture indicators on the motherboard (like on the iPhone), you might get them to replace the board for free. If that idea makes you uncomfortable or whatever, you just got yourself a $1200 paperweight. Congrats!

(Also: this is where those accidental damage warranties that Apple refuses to sell sure come in handy...)
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2009, 03:28 PM

Is this a Unibody MacBook? I'm sure I remember seeing something which mentioned the Unibodies had moisture indicators inside.

(Also: this is where those accidental damage warranties that Apple refuses to sell sure come in handy...)
It's also where those comprehensive contents policies that the insurance companies sell come in handy...
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Apr 19, 2009, 03:32 PM

She bought it about four months ago, and is the aluminum case version. Lets see what we can see.

Thanks

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2009, 03:32 PM

I found a guy on eBay that repairs liquid damaged MacBook's for $195 flat fee plus shipping (he's in the Greater Toronto area). If he can't fix it he'll refund the price so you just lose the shipping. May be worth a try. I just sent him my partner's Black MacBook last week. Haven't heard yet if he's able to fix it but they guy has a 99% positive rating and gets glowing reviews. PM for info if you like.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher View Post
Is this a Unibody MacBook? I'm sure I remember seeing something which mentioned the Unibodies had moisture indicators inside.

It's also where those comprehensive contents policies that the insurance companies sell come in handy...
I don't trust that - it's too easy for an insurance company to raise the premiums whenever they want, whereas an accidental damage warranty is a one-time fee and covers anything and everything for the duration of the warranty.

Plus it means you can get next business day onsite service for anything that happens.

Even if Apple wasn't so overpriced (and I didn't feel the way I do about the company in general...hah), I still wouldn't buy their hardware, because their warranties are atrocious. I realize that if your machine has problems more than five times or whatever, they'll replace it with a better one for free, but that doesn't make up for the fact that you have to physically take your machine to an Apple store or certified repair center to get it fixed (sure sucks for people who live in small towns), when every Dell I've owned has had an onsite NBD warranty. I'd much rather have a guy show up at my office and fix my laptop right after something happens, rather than wait two weeks to get my machine back.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Cold Warrior
Apr 19, 2009, 11:11 PM

This is certainly not a liquid I anticipated but it's certainly novel. Discussion moved to the sticky.
http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...r-beer-liquid/

Forum Links
Forum Rules