Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Stats Down?

Stats Down?
fran
Baninated
Jun 8, 2006, 09:36 AM

I'm getting "Warning: mysql_connect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /webserver/teamstats.macnn.com/includes/page_base.php on line 16". Is it just me?

Erik

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2006, 10:38 AM

Yep
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

fran  (op)
Baninated
Jun 8, 2006, 01:42 PM

It's back up now. Great!

mikkyo
Senior User
Jun 10, 2006, 01:40 PM

Down again

reader50
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006, 02:29 PM

I don't have enough access to fix this. Email sent off to Scott.

The problem started after we applied a security update to mysql. I suppose that when it's refusing service, it is indeed keeping all our stats data very securely.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2006, 10:26 PM

I think another piece of hardware is going. It is up again. I'll try and find time soon to poke at the box (remotely) and see if I can't figure out what is wrong.
These machines are 3 or 4 years old at this point!
My website

zombie67
Senior User
Jun 18, 2006, 11:50 AM

Down again...

reader50
Administrator
Jun 18, 2006, 12:33 PM

Ok, I now have enough permissions to fix the previous problem. So this time it's a new one.

email sent to Scott.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2006, 05:35 PM

Looks like data took a dump.
Nothing I can do from here.
I'll be home tomorrow night, then I can call and see if I even remember which box needs the reset button hit.
Anyone want to buy me an IP controlled power strip? (Or find one used that I can get cheaply)

Edit: I'll try and run some tests on the box in about 1.5 weeks, but no guarantees. I still think there's a piece of hardware going.

Edit2: Could someone with some time track down a good reliable AMD Athlon 64 (S939) board that has onboard video, good NIC, at least 2 PCI slots, everything easily supported in Linux, 2 PATA ports, that'll work well? Needs to use PC3200. (Just in case I do need new hardware)

If something is dead or dying, it would make the most sense to replace it [all] with a single athlon x2 machine and at least 2GB of ram (2.25 between the two boxes right now). Not that I'm really able to do it now. But, eh.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Jun 18, 2006 at 08:09 PM. )
My website

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 09:05 AM

Still down at 0900 EDT on Monday the 19th. Sure hope Reader50 and Scottheking are able to get the baling wire and duct tape installed....

beadman

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by beadman
Still down at 0900 EDT on Monday the 19th. Sure hope Reader50 and Scottheking are able to get the baling wire and duct tape installed....

beadman
It is going to be down until otherwise stated.
My website

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2006, 09:33 PM

I guess they are back.

*waits for reader50 to wander online*
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Jun 19, 2006 at 11:20 PM. )
My website

zombie67
Senior User
Jun 19, 2006, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
I guess they are back.
Thanks! FYI, I haven't been able to get the homepage to work for about a week now. http://team.macnn.com/ just gives me:

"Cannnot connect to DB server"

Erik

reader50
Administrator
Jun 20, 2006, 12:21 AM

We had the team site back online last night, after locating the new DB server. Sometime today, it went down again. This time, it looks like a network connection problem, or an access issue. Our DB is still present, we just can't get into it.

http://legacy.macnn.com is stuck on last Thursday's news, so I suspect a more general problem in the MacNN servers.

zombie67
Senior User
Jun 21, 2006, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by reader50
We had the team site back online last night, after locating the new DB server. Sometime today, it went down again. This time, it looks like a network connection problem, or an access issue. Our DB is still present, we just can't get into it.

http://legacy.macnn.com is stuck on last Thursday's news, so I suspect a more general problem in the MacNN servers.
Hmmm.... the legacy URL is now up to date, but the http://team.macnn.com/ still gives the same error.

Erik

zombie67
Senior User
Jun 21, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by zombie67
Hmmm.... the legacy URL is now up to date, but the http://team.macnn.com/ still gives the same error.

Erik

Well, at least the error is different now:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user 'team'@'216.22.45.43' (using password: YES) in /var/www/macnn/team/geeklog/system/databases/mysql.class.php on line 108
Cannnot connect to DB server

reader50
Administrator
Jun 21, 2006, 11:00 PM

legacy got fixed after I reported it in the Feedback forum. I've contacted the proper authority about our DB access problem on team, we'll see what happens.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 22, 2006, 03:53 PM

The team homepage is back up.

zombie67
Senior User
Jun 22, 2006, 10:32 PM

The team homepage is back up.
Thanks!!

zombie67
Senior User
Jun 27, 2006, 08:33 PM

The exporting of stat data for S@H has been down for several days (I think they just fixed it). Because of that BOINCstats has been showing no credit accumulated during that time. I noticed that the TeamNN stats did not have that problem. How is that possible? Does TeamNN have a different feed somehow?

TIA

reader50
Administrator
Jun 27, 2006, 11:37 PM

We always pull our primary data from a project's human-readable stats pages. This is harder - the projects make HTML changes now and then, which frequently breaks our parsers.

However, the human-readable pages are consistently the most up to date. Also, when things break, the projects consistently fix their web pages before they get around to stats export functions.

In one case with SETI Classic, they had a major web server problem. Web stats pages were fixed within a day or two. Over a week later, someone emailed them asking about the live-stats pages, primarily used by stats sites. It turned out the project hadn't even noticed those functions were still broken - no one had bothered to check.

I've learned to code with the assumption that they are out to break our stats. So redundancy gets built in where possible. Glad to hear it worked this time.

zombie67
Senior User
Jun 28, 2006, 08:52 AM

We always pull our primary data from a project's human-readable stats pages. This is harder - the projects make HTML changes now and then, which frequently breaks our parsers.

However, the human-readable pages are consistently the most up to date. Also, when things break, the projects consistently fix their web pages before they get around to stats export functions.

In one case with SETI Classic, they had a major web server problem. Web stats pages were fixed within a day or two. Over a week later, someone emailed them asking about the live-stats pages, primarily used by stats sites. It turned out the project hadn't even noticed those functions were still broken - no one had bothered to check.

I've learned to code with the assumption that they are out to break our stats. So redundancy gets built in where possible. Glad to hear it worked this time.
Neat! Thanks for the info.

Erik

zombie67
Senior User
Jun 28, 2006, 10:42 PM

On the home page, under "Team Quick Stats", Rosetta is missing. Can it be added please?

Thanks,
Erik

reader50
Administrator
Jun 29, 2006, 03:34 AM

This will be done as free time allows. The server issues are all resolved, so I have full access to the team site again - and to the team image server, which we had lost write access to for the last few months.

There are some other maintenance updates that need to be done too, like resetting the SETI-section quickstats bar to show BOINC data instead of Classic data.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2006, 02:28 PM

I know, I know.
But I'm busy. I heavily suspect hardware failure.

reader50: Contact me when you get online (I'm in port 25 blockage hell again, no outgoing emails for me)
Edit: But I'm hiding from AIM until I finish this paper around 1:30 or so. So email me to tell me to get online, then wait impatiently because my mail client only checks every 15 minutes.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Jun 30, 2006 at 03:18 PM. )
My website

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2006, 08:04 PM

It isn't a dead fan, it isn't overheating (probably), and it was an unfriendly kernel panic.
I guess I'll have to find a CDRom drive, key to this building, memtest CD, and all the other things I'll need to run as much diagnostics as I can. It won't be today.

--Scott
My website

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2006, 10:55 AM

predictor has issues
My website

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2006, 04:40 PM

Bad ram stick.
Board can take 1GB sticks.
$123 for a 1GB stick.
$62 for a 512MB stick.

It has 2x512 left, so 1GB brings it to 2GB, or 512MB brings it back to 1.5GB.

Of course, I leave before one can be ordered in, but I'd rather get a stick of crucial in this machine.

Or I can drive to the local computer store, and get a ram stick from some brand. *sigh*

Box dead, game overGetting happier again
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Jul 2, 2006 at 05:18 PM. )
My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules