Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Expose from the other side of the fence with longing for smaller MBP

Expose from the other side of the fence with longing for smaller MBP
wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2007, 07:30 PM

I recently bought a brand new 12.1" M1210 off Craigslist. The reason? I was tempted by the possibility of having a smaller laptop than Apple has to sell, running OS X and not costing an arm and a ^&&**. How then you might ask can one run OS X on a pc? These links like

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page:
http://www.osx86project.org/

and many more, if you google " OS X 86" will give you an idea of a community out there whose membesr are, like myself, long for a laptop or a desktop that is reasonably priced, small foot print, easily upgradeable, can run both OS X and Windows.
First a few comments about the latest Vista. Mine comes with Vista Ultimate. All my life I have owned only mac. I only use pc when I am at the office. The experience then confirmed the superiority of mac OS until after windows NT come out and OS 8 onward begin to behave like windows where the old adage hold true. The adage that:

" On a quite evening I can hear pee cee ( and mac <sig>) owners rebooting their computer repeatedly and frantically".

Then there was OSX, and mac is again the leader of OS, stable, elegant, stylish, great function and interfaces. Even when XP was selling like hot cakes OS X is considered better.
Then long awaited Vista arrived. I do not want to quote others but on this M1210 with C2D T 5600, 3.0G DDR2 ram, 160GB Hdd and a GeForce Go 7400 with 64MB dedicated memory, which I bought for $ 1000, I have been using it for last 3 weeks, surfing, word processing, downloading, burning DL dvd and listening to music using WMP at the same time, not once did I need to re boot. This os is remarkable stable for hoi polloi like us. The interface is beautiful. The help function will put Apple to shame! Granted locating a folder, file, app or any info is still a $&*^%(#$ pain, the added conveniences like allowing you to use two os at the same time, having tons of apps., enjoying better built apps like from adobe etc. sure makes things sweeter.
Finally, the " HACKING". With the available free OSX 86:

http://www.uphuck.com/Uphuck%20OSX86.../homepage.html

I was able to install OSX on a partitioned volume in my m1210. Albeit it only support 1 CPU, the graphic was not as good. The ethernet function was not available. As I discover that there are brilliant minds out there, true mac patriot, who are continually updating kernel patches to overcome the problems with the hacks, it is a matter of time before any pc can be turned into a pc/mac. In fact, desktop pc built from ground up are being turned into Mac Pro like computer for 1/2 of the price successfully. Some are selling them!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=59866

What is the purpose of this ranting? I hope Steve Job listen to this:
If hoi polloi like us can be tempted to a better built, smaller foot print laptop pc, with the promise of OSX possibility and present good alternative os and cost much less than a mac, when innovation and hype become droll then who will pay the kind of price for the laptop/desktop that Apple is charging? I hope Apple innovation continue and the hype form Hollywood live on, but wouldn't it be nice if the price of mac is more inline with other pc brand?
This expose is not meant to invite flaming. Hopefully will encourage each of you to look into OS X 86 and also give Vista a chance on your mac or pc. Too good a thing to miss out on. As for the price of mac coming south, do not hold your breath.
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2007, 08:59 PM

Discussing the violation of EULAs, despite their uncertain legal standing, is a no-no on these forums.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2007, 09:17 PM

And what the bloody hell is a "hoi polloi"?
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2007, 09:36 PM

Trollie.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Discussing the violation of EULAs, despite their uncertain legal standing, is a no-no on these forums.
May be or may be not depends on how you look at it.

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2007, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Elf View Post
And what the bloody hell is a "hoi polloi"?

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Trollie.

Trollie?
Do you mean TROLL?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2007, 10:45 PM

That would be safe to assume. Look, you registered way back in 1999, so you're probably trying to troll, but that's the way you're coming off.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Remember the " First Amendment"?
( Last edited by wubrew; Sep 5, 2007 at 01:21 AM. )

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
That would be safe to assume. Look, you registered way back in 1999, so you're probably trying to troll, but that's the way you're coming off.
Guilty by association? Judge,jury &-----

wubrew  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 12:45 AM

I might be guilty of all the above, one thing for sure from my real, good experience with a good windows os, make me wish there is a way of porting OS X to a pc . It took approximately 3-4 years for the mac developers to come up with apps like Parallel, VM ware etc to port windows to mac. How long before these developer begin to see the potential to port mac to a pc? There are a lot of people out there who have pc but can not afford a decent intel mac. They are just waiting for their break through. can I call that the writing on the wall?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by wubrew View Post
Remember the " First Amendment"?
That doesn't apply to what you write on a board that belongs to a private company. If MacNN thinks you're talking about violating a EULA (and even if were wrong about that - it still doesn't matter) and they don't want to put up with that, your thread is a goner. Nothing about the First Amendment is going to change that.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007, 09:30 AM

Point made, wubrew. Yes it's possible. No, we don't allow discussion of such activities here. We won't let anyone endanger MacNN by encouraging unlawful activities, and installing OS X on anything but a Mac (even/especially a hacked version of OS X) explicitly violates Apple's software user agreement. Discussion ended.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules