Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Simple Parallels/VM Ware question

Simple Parallels/VM Ware question
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2010, 04:01 PM

I may be about to start working at a place which is Widows-based. I want to offer them the possibility of me working at home some, but I wanted to make sure what I offer is feasible.

Seems to me the simplest thing would be for me to give their IT guy a drive and have him image it. I could then pop it in my machine, fire up Parallels/VM Ware and be good to go. Is this a reasonable assumption, or is the virtualization set up more complicated than that?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Cold Warrior
Nov 4, 2010, 05:23 PM

Depends on how uptight they are with company firewalls, vpn, possible proprietary technology or information stored offsite (your computer), etc.

But if they're open to it, and the computing demands are not intense, then a VM is a good solution. VMware has an app that will run on a windows box and basically copy it to a VM. Not sure about Parallels.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 06:37 PM

Yeah, the networking thing is indeed a hurdle, unless your company offers a VPN?

If you want to present a package that doesn't involve them purchasing a copy of Parallels or VMWare, Virtualbox is a possibility too.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
I may be about to start working at a place which is Widows-based. I want to offer them the possibility of me working at home some, but I wanted to make sure what I offer is feasible.
That depends. Need more info.

Are they hot, young widows, or more the elderly type?

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That depends. Need more info.

Are they hot, young widows, or more the elderly type?
:rimshot:

Actually, the place is full of young hotties, but that's a different thread on a different board.

I assume they use VPN, but I also assumed I could set that up once I get home. Bad assumption?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2010, 12:54 PM

I assume they use VPN, but I also assumed I could set that up once I get home. Bad assumption?
You probably can, but you'll need to know the specifics of their VPN - type, address, whether you have access, etc.

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You probably can, but you'll need to know the specifics of their VPN - type, address, whether you have access, etc.
Yes: I would get all those specs.

I'm more worried that I will get the work-formatted drive in my machine, fire up Parallels, and Parallels will say, "I see no Windows install."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2010, 03:16 PM

Yes: I would get all those specs.

I'm more worried that I will get the work-formatted drive in my machine, fire up Parallels, and Parallels will say, "I see no Windows install."

If your work is going to supply you with a VMDK or VDI disk image you can test this in advance on a VM host of your choice. If it works on one it should work on all Mac-based VM hosts.

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If your work is going to supply you with a VMDK or VDI disk image you can test this in advance on a VM host of your choice. If it works on one it should work on all Mac-based VM hosts.
I doubt it. I imagine they'd just image a drive.

So far as I know, no one at the place has ever suggested this before, so I am guinea pigging.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 5, 2010, 06:54 PM

I would not assume they have a VPN set up until they tell you they do. And I would not have very high expectations if they do have one. I worked one place where their "central server" was a Windows computer that one would remote into using MS's Remote Desktop Connection. Their security was pretty lame, too. This wasn't just for logging in from home, either; ALL users had to get at the system that way.

Be prepared for a well set up VPN with solid security, but don't go too far in setting things up expecting that to be the case.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2010, 08:51 PM

I doubt it. I imagine they'd just image a drive.

So far as I know, no one at the place has ever suggested this before, so I am guinea pigging.

There are tools that will help you convert a raw disk image or perhaps disk images of other formats to a disk image format recognized by a VM, should you want to do a dry run of this in advance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules