Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution: Pressing the Right Buttons

Nintendo Revolution: Pressing the Right Buttons
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 07:11 AM

Here's a great article regarding the evolution of controller design since the NES. It's a good read in that, it illustrates the evolution of the game pad from the NES->SNES->N64->GCN (and all the copycats inbetween). It also points out the shortcomings of controllers and how they have limited the progress of console gaming, which i never really thought about.

Next Generation: Revolution pressing the right buttons

it's a long read. but worth it, the author even points out some cool possibilities with the controller that i hadnt imagined, that would be really cool in 'traditional' games.

The perspecitve of the article is also worth mentioning...... The NES to the GCN has been a single generation of gaming, in that we have seen a few modification and additions to the controller (almost always pioneered by Nintendo anyway), and the improved visuals, but essentially the 'same' type of games. What the NRS will be ushering in, is the 'next generation' of console gaming, purely because it simplifies and trims the fat that's built up over the last 20 years.

If you are a sentimental fool and want only the 'old' type of games(such as myself...ill be buying SMB the day i get the NRS).... you'll get em all, a good 20 years worth, with the virtual console. But then... for those who are intimidated by today's controllers(i left console gaming after the Genesis, cause the controllers looked way too complicated) there's the simplicity of the new controller, that stands to usher in whole new possibilities in gaming, beyond the last 20 years, which i think is cool.

But yeah, read the article.... i think u'll like it (well except for the usual bad apples)..... i cant wait for E3. i can confidently say im as excited as i was when Apple was making the move to OSX after 15 years of the legacy OS.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 31, 2006 at 08:00 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2006, 09:37 AM

Did we need a whole new thread for this?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 10:28 AM

Yes.

(btw ppl, in case u didnt guess , he's one of those 'bad apples i spoke of, ....the other one will be in shortly, guess who it is if u like )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Yes.

(btw ppl, in case u didnt guess , he's one of those 'bad apples i spoke of, ....the other one will be in shortly, guess who it is if u like )
Can I take a guess? It is me the other guy that always proves you wrong?

Anywho...

Sony ranked highest in brand survey in North America. People don't see much in the future for Nintendo apparently.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/30/so...-trust-survey/
( Last edited by Dark Helmet; Mar 31, 2006 at 12:02 PM. )

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 11:56 AM

working link to the brand survey

"I start fires!"

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2006, 11:56 AM

Do you ALWAYS have to do this?

I've got a couple of different consoles. Because I like gaming. And sometimes, I'd like to be able talk about gaming here. But there's no chance of that. Because the same people stamp all over every single gaming thread that starts.

Nintendo>Sony, Sony>Nintendo...............

Videogames

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by OB1
Do you ALWAYS have to do this?
He does.

I have every Nintendo system minus the DS and more Nintendo games than god but he always calls me a sony fanboy.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
He does.

I have every Nintendo system minus the DS and more Nintendo games than god but he always calls me a sony fanboy.
Yes instead he should be calling you an asshat.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I think an asshat would suite you more considering your recent coming out
Wear it in-front of your parents.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2006, 12:40 PM

Stop it!

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 31, 2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
He does.
So do you, even more so.

It's a freakin gaming console people. Give it a rest.

willed
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Haha!

Smackdown.

From Salty.

Nice.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 06:54 PM

That article wasn't very good. I don't know, I think they glossed over a lot of the capabilities things like analog control added and how 3D has changed things.

The Revolution controller has the possibility to be very cool and it has the possibility to be very lame. I'm waiting to pass any sort of judgment. It's really not even worth speculating on at this point.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 07:51 PM

Hey i see something interesting, i post it, whether it be for any of the consoles out there. i liked the article i posted it. i dont go around bashing other's people's choices, cause frankly i dont ccare that much about gaming and what other's do.

If i see something worth a read, ill post it.

Cheers

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2006, 08:40 PM

Hey i see something interesting, i post it, whether it be for any of the consoles out there. i liked the article i posted it. i dont go around bashing other's people's choices, cause frankly i dont ccare that much about gaming and what other's do.
No, never

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2006, 03:53 AM

If i see something worth a read, ill post it.

Cheers

Don't take my criticism of the article as a criticism for you posting it. I love reading about this stuff, just in this case, I think that the author had an agenda and didn't support his thoughts well. It's just my opinion.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2006, 04:02 AM

No worries buddie. wasnt directed to you..... criticizm's cool. At least your less biased than those other two.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules