Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Macintosh market share has plummeted over 50% during Jobs' current tenure

Macintosh market share has plummeted over 50% during Jobs' current tenure
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 01:22 PM

"Apple's share of the worldwide PC market has tumbled from 4.6 percent in 1996, the year before Jobs returned, to just 2.2 percent in 2005... Gartner puts Apple's 1996 share at 4.6 percent, IDC at 5.1 percent. Market share in 2005 was 2.2 percent from Gartner and 2.3 percent from IDC... Apple's market share peaked at 15.8 percent in 1980...."

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...g/14191452.htm

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 01:27 PM

You know, maybe it's just the crowd I hang with... but in my little world, it seems to me like Apple has at least a 10% marketshare. I know a ton of people with Macs. At least half of my friends are Mac users.

I think the declining marketshare has more to do with a growing amount of very cheap PCs making there way into homes that used to have no computer.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2006, 01:36 PM

Apple's share in the US is a bit better than worldwide, maybe 4% in 2005.
edit: Make that 2.88% of the US desktop market and 4.99% of the US laptop market in Q4 2004.

ort888: You appear to be confusing the terms marketshare and installed base.
Some people claim they have a larger share of the installed base because people keep them longer, but I haven't seen any credible surveys to support that.

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
You know, maybe it's just the crowd I hang with... but in my little world, it seems to me like Apple has at least a 10% marketshare. I know a ton of people with Macs. At least half of my friends are Mac users.
Oh god not this crap again. Is this the same basis for your DS is better than the PSP?

"My friends have a DS and a Mac so they are the most used."

Honestly if you are serious this is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 01:45 PM

This (as many others) doesn't seem to take into account that overall computer use has released probably 10 fold over the past 10 years. If you get that many people buying computers, and the majority are buying non-mac machines, yeah, it's going to look like the marketshare is falling. Where are the numbers that describe the number of Mac users now compared to '96?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Oh god not this crap again. Is this the same basis for your DS is better than the PSP?

"My friends have a DS and a Mac so they are the most used."

Honestly if you are serious this is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard.
Wow, you are hostile today.

All I'm saying, is that of the people I know, a lot of them are Mac users. A lot. Like I said, at least half of my social group uses Macs. And a lot of their parents and my parents friends as well. A lot of the people I work with also use Macs at home. I know this doesn't mean anything as far as real world marketshare, but everywhere I go, I see people using Macs. I'm not saying that they actually have a 10% user base, I'm saying, that amongst the people I know, at least 10% use Macs.

I don't know anyone else with a DS. I know one guy with a PSP. None of my friends are big gamers.

My basis for thinking that the DS is better then the PSP is that the DS has more games on it that appeal to me. It's as simple as that.
( Last edited by ort888; Mar 31, 2006 at 02:07 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2006, 02:06 PM

Wow, you are hostile today.
No wonder. Salty turned gay

-t

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
No wonder. Salty turned gay

-t
Do you ever have anything remotely interesting to contribute? Seriously, you can keep it sarcastic or negative but please say something interesting.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2006, 02:22 PM

Do you ever have anything remotely interesting to contribute? Seriously, you can keep it sarcastic or negative but please say something interesting.

-t

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 02:35 PM

Be careful about market share figures. They sometimes include only reseller sales. So a Mac bought from the Apple Store (online or brick-and-mortar) may not make its way into these numbers, but a Mac bought from CompUSA will. Since apple has increased their direct-sale emphasis in the last few years, it would make sense that their reseller sales would go down.

And no, I can't be arsed to click on the article. If it contradicts me, then I'm a moron.

Regardless about what kind of marketshare IDG says Apple has, they are getting a lot more mindshare. People are talking about iPods, and by extension, Macs. When's the last time you heard someone get passionate about their Dell?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 02:37 PM

"Apple's share of the worldwide PC market has tumbled from 4.6 percent in 1996, the year before Jobs returned, to just 2.2 percent in 2005... Gartner puts Apple's 1996 share at 4.6 percent, IDC at 5.1 percent. Market share in 2005 was 2.2 percent from Gartner and 2.3 percent from IDC... Apple's market share peaked at 15.8 percent in 1980...."

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...g/14191452.htm
Funny how you focus on the negative of the article:

Apple is now more successful than ever. Sales and profits are setting records every quarter. New models of Apple's Macintosh computers appear on magazine covers and make cameo appearances in numerous Hollywood movies and TV shows. Apple's iPod is bringing new acolytes into the Mac fold.
and

So there's no immediate reason for Apple or Mac users to fret.
There are simply more computers being created and purchased. And when people buy computers in bulk, they generally buy cheap Dell/HP boxes running Windows.

Apple is doing very well, so this is far from a doom and gloom story. If anything, it simply shows how our 2.2% still can get Adobe, Microsoft, etc. to create software for our platform. We all know they aren't doing it because they lose money.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 02:37 PM

What is Dell's marketshare?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 02:41 PM

Percentages mean nothing when there's no actual number to compare them to.
2% of 10,000,000 is better than 10% of 1,000.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
Funny how you focus on the negative of the article:
Funny how I quoted exactly the same paragraph from where I found it digg.com

The title wouldn't make much sense if I quoted a happy glowing section.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 02:52 PM

Another way to look at 2005

"For the year, Apple grew shipments by 32 percent"

http://news.com.com/PC+market+surged...3-6028454.html

So Apple ships about as many computers as Toshiba.

I would be very interested to see how that could change if you could dual boot the system.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 31, 2006, 03:03 PM

20ish.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Super Mario
Mar 31, 2006, 03:12 PM

Are they still including the billion people in poor countries with access to nothing but cheap broken PCs running pirate Windows?

Yes they are. Figures like that don't count because cheap bust PCs running pirate software are selling very fast in many countries where Apple has no presence or are too expensive to buy.

Porsche and Aston Martin sales are very low compared to Fiats for the same reason.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:24 PM. )

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 03:19 PM

The thing is Apple i selling tons of computers to people where it makes the most sense. These are the people who buy software and help keep the platform vibrant. We don't have to deal with people going to Best Buy and buying their cheapest package with CRT monitor and Lexmark all in one with that number 1 cartridge. I don't really mind that we don't have those people as Mac users.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 03:33 PM

The title says "Macintosh market share has plummeted over 50% during Jobs' current tenure"

Let me translate and clarify:

Tenure as what? He didn't become the interim-CEO until 1997... and from 1996 to 1997, the market share of apple went from 4.6 (as noted in original article) to 3.2 (http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/17837.html) [using Gartner's numbers]

So, Steve, the CEO has seen a decline of 1% in market share (from 3.2% to 2.2%) over the past 8 years.

... but I guess that makes a less interesting headline.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 03:51 PM

Market share, schmarket share. Who cares? Apple (Jobs in particular) has stated many times that they aren't concerned with market share. They are concerned with creating innovative products that change culture. They are the best at it. The best. No one even comes close. And they are making a nice profit to boot. People can come up with a billion different arguments for one stupid number. An inaccurate number at that. Apple's market share hasn't mattered in 30 years, why would it matter now?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 03:52 PM

Oh no, Apple is gonna die!!

[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2006, 04:04 PM

Funny how I quoted exactly the same paragraph from where I found it digg.com

The title wouldn't make much sense if I quoted a happy glowing section.
Yeah, it is kind of funny how rather than analyze the situation for yourself, you just re-posted a skewed FUD thread — and then act surprised when people call you on it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Oh no, Apple is gonna die!!

I don't think anyone here is worried about that. I just find it odd that despite how well they are doing and making money they actually have a LOWER market-share than before.

Is it all about making a profit?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
The thing is Apple i selling tons of computers to people where it makes the most sense. These are the people who buy software and help keep the platform vibrant. We don't have to deal with people going to Best Buy and buying their cheapest package with CRT monitor and Lexmark all in one with that number 1 cartridge. I don't really mind that we don't have those people as Mac users.
Just to add my 2¢

Apple knows it can't compete in the bargain basement computer industry, so it has chosen (for now) to tailer to the higher end computer user that generally expects a more consistent experience... and I'll admit... someone that doesn't want Microsoft Windows running on their desks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
Be careful about market share figures. They sometimes include only reseller sales. So a Mac bought from the Apple Store (online or brick-and-mortar) may not make its way into these numbers, but a Mac bought from CompUSA will. Since apple has increased their direct-sale emphasis in the last few years, it would make sense that their reseller sales would go down.
Surveying that way would put Dell at what, 0.5%? Less?

A hair over 30% in the US and a hair under 20% globally.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 04:24 PM

epluth
Mar 31, 2006, 04:57 PM

does it have anything to do with Apple not allowing other companies to make clones anymore.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 04:59 PM

This graph is biased (if it's trying to show failure on Apple's part). It needs to include other manufacturer's sales and market share data to provide a 'fair' analysis of what's going on. I stand by my comment that computer adoption in general explains the difference.

Now that I think about it, that's probably the issue with the story. Are they suggesting that Apple is failing since Job's return? What are they trying say here?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 05:02 PM

Apple's market share remains the same: clever people.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Apple's market share remains the same: clever people.

Being here in the Lounge, I sort of doubt it. Am I clever ?

-t

meelk
Baninated
Mar 31, 2006, 09:10 PM

Is it all about making a profit?

yes.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2006, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck

Being here in the Lounge, I sort of doubt it. Am I clever ?

-t
I guess no one is perfect, but I much preffer to avoid think about what kind of experience a lounge's pc centric board would be

Forum Links
Forum Rules