Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A Guide to MacBook RAM Upgrades

A Guide to MacBook RAM Upgrades
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 12:53 PM

There appears to be some confusion about RAM upgrade possibilities on MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Here's an attempt to summarize what possibilities there are.

MacBook
• All pre-unibody MacBooks have two RAM slots for SO-DIMMs (DDR2-SDRAM, PC2-5300, 667 MHz, 200 pins*). Apple default configs are paired. These are the maximum RAM upgrades for all MacBooks:
MacBook with Core Duo (Mid 2006): 2GB **
MacBook with Core 2 Duo and Calistoga chipset (Late 2006, Mid 2007): 3GB / 4GB
MacBook with Core 2 Duo and Crestline chipset (Late 2007, Early 2008, Late 2008 white): 4GB / 6GB

To find out which C2D MacBook you have you can check the FSB clock or the GPU: If you have a 667 MHz FSB and a GMA 950 you have a Calistoga C2D MB. If you have a 800 MHz FSB and a GMA X3100 you have a Crestline C2D MacBook. Do not confuse FSB speed with memory speed! 800 MHz FSB MBs still use 667 MHz RAM. Check your FSB speed in Sys Profiler.

• Unibody MacBooks have two SO-DIMM slots for PC3-8500 DDR3 RAM, 204 pins, 1066 MHz.
MacBook Unibody with Core 2 Duo "Penryn" and 9400M G chipset (Late 2008): 4GB / 6GB *****

• White MacBooks have two SO-DIMM slots for various types of SO-DIMMs:
MacBook white with Core 2 Duo "Penryn" and 9400M G chipset (Early 2009 white): 4GB / 6GB ***** (PC2-5300 DDR2, 667 MHz, 200 pins*)
MacBook white with Core 2 Duo "Penryn" and 9400M G chipset (Mid 2009): 4GB / 6GB ***** (PC2-6400 DDR2, 800 MHz, 200 pins)
MacBook white with Core 2 Duo "Penryn" and 9400M G chipset (Late 2009): 8GB (PC3-8500 DDR3, 204 pins, 1066 MHz)

MacBook Pro
• All pre-unibody MacBook Pros have two RAM slots for SO-DIMMs (DDR2-SDRAM, PC2-5300, 667 MHz, 200 pins *). Apple default configs are paired. These are the maximum RAM upgrades for all MacBook Pros:
MacBook Pro with Core Duo (Early 2006, Mid 2006 17"): 2GB **
MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo and Calistoga chipset (Late 2006): 3GB / 4GB
MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo and Crestline chipset (Mid 2007, Late 2007, Early 2008, Late 2008 17"): 4GB / 6GB

To find out which C2D MacBook Pro you have you can check the FSB clock: If you have a 667 MHz FSB you have a Calistoga C2D MBP. If you have a 800 MHz FSB you have a Crestline C2D MacBook Pro. Do not confuse FSB speed with memory speed! 800 MHz FSB MBPs still use 667 MHz RAM. Check your FSB speed in Sys Profiler.

• Unibody MacBook Pro have two SO-DIMM slots for PC3-8500 DDR3 RAM, 204 pins, 1066 MHz.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody with Core 2 Duo "Penryn" and 9400M G chipset (Late 2008): 4GB / 6GB *****
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody with Core 2 Duo "Penryn" and 9400M G chipset (Early 2009 bump, 2.66/2.93 GHz): 8GB
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody with Core 2 Duo "Penryn" and 9400M G chipset (Early 2009): 8GB
MacBook Pro 13"/15"/17" Unibody with Core 2 Duo "Penryn" and 9400M G chipset (Mid 2009): 8GB
MacBook Pro 13" Unibody with Core 2 Duo "Penryn" and Nvidia 320M (MPC89) chipset (Early 2010): 8GB
MacBook Pro 15"/17" Unibody with Core i5/i7 "Arrandale" and Nvidia 320M (MPC89) chipset (Early 2010): 8GB

*) You can also use 800 MHz PC2-6400 DIMMs if you like. They will work, apparently unless you have a Penryn MB(P). However they will in any case run at the memory bus clock speed of 667 MHz. There will be no performance advantage.

**) The Calistoga chipset supports addressing of up to 3GB, but Apple limited the CD MacBook (Pro) to 2GB in firmware.

***) Although you can install 2x2GB RAM in the Calistoga MacBook (Pro) for a total of 4GB, the chipset has an addressing limitation of 3GB. This is not something software, the OS or firmware could change - it is an inherent limitation of this Intel Calistoga chipset. If you install 4GB in an Calistoga MacBook (Pro) the system will recognize the total amount of RAM, but you actually won't be able to use the last GB. Unless 2x2GB is cheaper (or more easily available) than an unmatched 3GB, there is no reason to install more than 3 GB in a Calistoga MB(P).

****) Although Apple's official limit is 4 GB, it has been reported that the Crestline MB(P) can support up to 6 GB of RAM (one 2GB and one 4GB SO-DIMM). Of course that means you lose dual-channel memory access, but you will be able to fully address and use all of those 6 GBs.

*****) Both the unibody MB and MBP are specified by Apple to support up to 4 GB of RAM. The MB and MBP however have already been shown to accept, recognize, and use 6 GB of RAM (one 2 GB and one 4 GB SO-DIMM). It will boot and run with 8 GB (two 4 GB SO-DIMMs) too, but as of right now, it is not stable. It has been rumored that a future firmware update could change this.

A final word on matched DIMM pairs. It is true that memory bandwidth is increased by installing matched memory modules. In actual benchmarks this is something that is most noticed in GPU-dependent tasks (like 3D games) on systems with integrated graphics (like the MacBook). The reason for this is that the GPU has to use RAM as video memory (rather than using dedicated VRAM over a dedicated bus) which means memory bandwidth can become a limitation. Therefore, if you are interested in getting the maximum possible frame rate, you would probably want to install memory in matched pairs. However, this doesn't mean that less matched memory is better than more unmatched memory! If your system is paging out to disk because not enough memory is available (this is something you can find out by looking at Activity Monitor's "System Memory" tab) this will cause a huge performance decrease. This effect is orders of magnitude larger than the slight performance reduction due to unmatched memory pairs. Therefore: If you're paging out with 2 GB of matched memory, DO NOT hesitate to upgrade to an unmatched 3 GB! Of course going to 4 GB would be even better (if your MB supports it).
( Last edited by Simon; May 16, 2010 at 03:30 AM. Reason: updated (added Core i5/i7 MBP))

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2008, 01:16 PM

Excellent FAQ. Thank you Simon.

Stickied.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

acoustix
Jan 6, 2008, 02:22 AM

In the interest of thoroughness, the first group should begin with "May '06".
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by acoustix View Post
In the interest of thoroughness, the first group should begin with "May '06".
You're absolutely right. My oversight. It's fixed now.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 6, 2008, 09:51 AM

Compliments to Simon, great thread, very informative! I always see loads of people around the macbook forums asking how much RAM they can put in there computer or whatever, hopefully this will fix it!

MacPhly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 02:01 PM

I have the late 2007 Macbook which came with 2pcs x 500MB RAM. Lately, I've been given one stick of 2GB RAM taken from a similar Macbook.

Q1. Would it be inadvisable to replace one of factory-installed 512MB ram with this 2GB ram?

Q2. If okay, which slot should the 2GB be replacing; the slot closer to the power plug, or furthest?

Thanks.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MacPhly View Post
I have the late 2007 Macbook which came with 2pcs x 500MB RAM. Lately, I've been given one stick of 2GB RAM taken from a similar Macbook.

Q1. Would it be inadvisable to replace one of factory-installed 512MB ram with this 2GB ram?
No. If you experience page outs with 1GB (which I'm guessing you are) you definitely should upgrade to 2.5GB. Don't worry about the unmatched DIMMs. You can get a second 2GB DIMM if you want later.

Q2. If okay, which slot should the 2GB be replacing; the slot closer to the power plug, or furthest?
Doesn't matter. Swap the DIMM you find easier to get to. Personally I'd go for the one at the center (that is the one further away from the power plug) just because there I have more space on both sides.

detoxmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2008, 02:34 AM

I am looking to upgrade my macbook and previously thought the limit was 2GB, but it appears it can handle 3GB. I have a C2D early edition as my GMA is 950 and FSB is 667 mhz (I bought it early Dec 06).

I was just on the Apple website to see what they suggested for RAM upgrades and it costs $300 for 2x1GB sticks!!! So, I began to look elsewhere and found this impressive forum.

My questions are:
1) Does my macbook really recognize 3GBs?
2) If yes, why doesn't apple promote this? It is a good thing isn't it?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by detoxmac View Post
1) Does my macbook really recognize 3GBs?
Yes, just as it says in the very post of this thread.

2) If yes, why doesn't apple promote this? It is a good thing isn't it?
Yes, it is. But in Apple's opinion an even better thing is if you had bought a C2D MBP that was advertised to support 3GB.

In the past Apple has often understated the max memory capacity. It used to be common that their max spec would be the number of slots times the max DIMM capacity at launch time. Later on when larger DIMMs came out people realized their max RAM was higher, yet Apple never changed the original specs.

And BTW, never buy extra RAM form Apple. You can get the same DIMMs with a longer warranty for less elsewhere. Some like OWC or Crucial, others prefer Newegg.

felixlkj86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 09:01 PM

Hi,

I just purchased a macbook and i'm loving it. It is a refurb with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 ghz processor with 1 gb of ram. I'm interested in upgrading my MB to at least 2 GB of ram. I did a bit of research and I discovered the 'System Profiler' which pretty much breaks down your system and states everything in it.

When I go to the 'Memory' section of this profiler, under the slots section, I see
BANK 1/DIMM0 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 Mhz OK
BANK 0/DIMM0 Empty Empty Empty Empty

So does this mean that there is currently 1 stick of 1gb ram currently installed? I wanted to check things out online before I pry my new MB open and do something wrong :S.

Thanks!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2008, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by felixlkj86 View Post
So does this mean that there is currently 1 stick of 1gb ram currently installed?
Yes. You now have one free slot which will take a 1 GB or 2 GB SO-DIMM.

felixlkj86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yes. You now have one free slot which will take a 1 GB or 2 GB SO-DIMM.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Does it matter which type of ram I decide to use? I went on to the Corsair Website
Welcome to Corsair :: Notebook Memory Product Information

and they have another section just for mac's. I would think that it shouldn't matter since they're both SODIMMs, with the same number of pins, and speed. Just double checking.

Thanks in advance!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2008, 04:07 PM

It's right up there in the very first post: get DDR2-SDRAM, PC2-5300, 667 MHz, 200 pins. 800MHz PC2-6400 SO-DIMMs will work too.

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2008, 05:00 PM

thanks alot

jothestoic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2008, 12:20 PM

Hello Simon

Thank you for the informative thread. I have an early C2D and purchased a 2x2GB RAM, however after installing it, my keyboard started to freeze and the caplock remained litted on. Now, my keyboard isn't working at all. Do you think it is due to installing a 4GB ram? Do you foresee any potential problems in installing a 4GB RAM although the maximum is 3?

Also, you mentioned 'MacBook with Core 2 Duo "early" (Nov 2006 - Nov 2007): 3GB / 4GB ***', I have checked my MB and mine belongs to the Mid-2007 model according to the Apple website - and it states that the maximum RAM is 2GB. So is it okay to go beyond the stated 2GB? Thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by jothestoic View Post
I have an early C2D and purchased a 2x2GB RAM, however after installing it, my keyboard started to freeze and the caplock remained litted on. Now, my keyboard isn't working at all. Do you think it is due to installing a 4GB ram?
Maybe the installation, maybe the RAM. Have you tried removing the new DIMMs and putting back the old ones?

Do you foresee any potential problems in installing a 4GB RAM although the maximum is 3?
No. Apart from not being able to use that last GB absolutely no problems are to be expected.

Also, you mentioned 'MacBook with Core 2 Duo "early" (Nov 2006 - Nov 2007): 3GB / 4GB ***', I have checked my MB and mine belongs to the Mid-2007 model according to the Apple website - and it states that the maximum RAM is 2GB. So is it okay to go beyond the stated 2GB?
Yes. Apple's terminology is "Late 2006" and "Mid-2007" for what I referred to as "early C2D" models. Apple has a record of giving lower max RAM specs than what can actually be used in a Mac. Nothing to worry about. Again: no damage is caused by installing more RAM in a MB than what Apple originally specified. 4 GB should install perfectly fine in your MB and you will be able to use 3GB. If it doesn't work then either the installation went wrong, the RAM is bad, or there's a problem with your your MB's MLB.

VuONG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2008, 05:21 AM

does this apply for macbook pro's also?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by VuONG View Post
does this apply for macbook pro's also?
In a certain sense yes, because the MBP and MB share chipsets.

[Edit: MBP information removed and rolled into the first post so newcomers see all relevant information at once.]
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 22, 2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: removed MBP info)

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2008, 09:47 PM

My MacbookPro currently has two banks filled of DDR2 SDRAM @ 667 MHZ but was purchased in Dec 2007 (2.2 ghz/800mhz bus) Does this mean it is an "Early c2d mbp"? Do I upgrade to 3gb or will 4gb work. Sometimes the more i read the more i get confused. thx.

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2008, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by forumhound View Post
My MacbookPro currently has two banks filled of DDR2 SDRAM @ 667 MHZ but was purchased in Dec 2007 (2.2 ghz/800mhz bus) Does this mean it is an "Early c2d mbp"?
You are mixing up FSB and memory speed. This is a common problem. I added a comment in my previous post to clarify.

You have 667 MHz RAM, but that is the memory speed. Your FSB is still 800 MHz. That is quite common as modern Intel mobile chipsets always have higher FSB speeds than the actual memory interface bus speed. Having faster RAM than the memory interface bus speed is of no use. So since your 800 MHz FSB MBP has a 667 MHz memory interface bus it is sufficient to use 667 MHz RAM. The next Intel mobile chipset "Cantiga" will offer an FSB clock of 1067 MHz. The memory interface bus will still be 667 or 800 MHz though. Again in any case, FSB clock > required RAM speed.

In short: You have a 800 MHz FSB MBP that will accept (and make use of!) a total of 4 GB of RAM. Install two 2GB SO-DIMMs for maximum memory and performance.

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2008, 05:28 AM

Thanks Simon, u rock. Glad that's cleared up. It seems I will need those sticks as when I open up all the CS3 apps and then go to Parallels windows do open up some more stuff I need, i am maxing out the 2gigs I have
ccfccp

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2008, 08:22 AM

I'm glad it's all clear now. And yeah, for those kinds of tasks you should get 4 GB. Fortunately RAM is really cheap right now.

13wj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2008, 06:46 AM

Hi,

I have the MacBook early 2007. However I installed 2x2GB ram it is working perfectly. In the system profiler it shows both of the DIMM slot has 2GB of ram and total 4GB of RAM.

Do you mean that it will still shows 4GB of ram but it actually performs at 3GB ram only?

Cheers

wj

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by 13wj View Post
Hi,

I have the MacBook early 2007. However I installed 2x2GB ram it is working perfectly. In the system profiler it shows both of the DIMM slot has 2GB of ram and total 4GB of RAM.

Do you mean that it will still shows 4GB of ram but it actually performs at 3GB ram only?

Cheers

wj
Wj, this is a really good question, i have a brand spankin new macbook and an mbp both with 4gig and while the os seems to use it and see it (activity monitor) some apps like adobe CS3 only support 3gb. hmmmmm....hoping for an explanation of this here!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 13wj View Post
Yes. Although your Mac notices that 4 GB are there, it can still only use 3 GB. As I wrote in the very first post:

Originally Posted by Simon
If you install 4GB in an early C2D MacBook the system will recognize the total amount of RAM, but you actually won't be able to use the last GB.
If you want to verify that your Mac is only using 3 of your 4 GB you can look at RAM consumption (in top or AM)
Total = Free + Used
where
Used = Wired + Active + Inactive

JayMan8081
Jun 6, 2008, 03:24 PM

Very well written and informative guide!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2008, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by JayMan8081 View Post
Very well written and informative guide!
Thanks.

inactualis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2008, 03:31 PM

I have a curious problem. Macbook 2.2 Ghz, 800Mhz FSB - one of the later models that should support 4gb. I just tried to install 2x2GB cards and got nothing, just a black screen. The machine will boot fine with a combination of 1x2GB and 1x512MB (one of the original cards). It recognizes the memory and shows 2.5GB installed.

However, it will not boot with either of the 2GB cards alone, in either slot. It WILL boot with a single 512 in either slot. Seems like a problem with both of the brand new 2GB cards, but it's odd that it will run fine as long as one of the 512s is present (at 2.5GB installed).

Any ideas?

EDIT: I should note that I checked several times to ensure that the 2GB cards were seated properly.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2008, 04:59 PM

That's weird. Have you tried installing those DIMMs in another computer?

inactualis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2008, 05:05 PM

Unfortunately this is the only mac I have available to test. Apple support was stumped, too. I've ordered another kit from a different manufacturer in hopes the problem lies with the cards, but I'm lost as to why the machine sees the bigger cards if one 512 is present.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2008, 05:09 PM

Very strange indeed.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 10:11 PM

can anyone reccomend the best brand of ram i want 4gb for my macbook, i was gonna order from newegg or crucial
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

inactualis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2008, 11:15 PM

If you see my post above, I had some troubles with particular brand - it was Avant. I replaced them with Buffalo and everything works fine.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2008, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
can anyone reccomend the best brand of ram i want 4gb for my macbook, i was gonna order from newegg or crucial
You can get Crucial from Newegg. $49 for a 2GB stick.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148087

Of course if you want cheap Newegg will sell you 4GB for as little as ~$73.

usnavy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 08:10 AM

Question on RAM. Where is Crucial getting the different model numbers they use on their web site? They have model numbers like MB700ll/A, or LL/B! My Macbook's Model# is "Macbook 1,1". Do I bother purchasing from Crucial or bite the bullet and buy retail somewhere?...THANKS

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by usnavy View Post
They have model numbers like MB700ll/A, or LL/B!
Those are the product numbers Apple uses. You will find yours on your MB's box or on your invoice.

My Macbook's Model# is "Macbook 1,1".
That's a Mac model identifier. Basically it's a property software can query to find out what kind of Mac its running on. In your case it tells you that you have a first generation CD MacBook.

Do I bother purchasing from Crucial or bite the bullet and buy retail somewhere?...THANKS
Buy from Newegg. You can get Crucial there, but also less expensive brands (like this one).

usnavy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 08:50 AM

I wish I could look on the Macbook's box or invoice, it's used, came as a swap for a PC. I have no discs or invoice. I plan to get Leopard shortly but want to upgrade RAM first. The Macbook works Very Well and I want to keep it. I like it better than a PC!Thanks for the info, I'll connect with NEWEGG. Have a good one!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by usnavy View Post
I wish I could look on the Macbook's box or invoice, it's used, came as a swap for a PC. I have no discs or invoice. I plan to get Leopard shortly but want to upgrade RAM first. The Macbook works Very Well and I want to keep it. I like it better than a PC!Thanks for the info, I'll connect with NEWEGG. Have a good one!
You will find the product code of your MB on this page.

But regardless, just make sure you get DDR2/PC2-5300 (667 MHz) SO-DIMMs (200 pins) and you'll be fine. You can put a maximum of 2x1GB in your MB.

usnavy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 11:25 AM

Simon;
Thanks for setting me straight on RAM needed for an older Macbook. Send me a bill for the advice!!

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2008, 08:01 PM

Does it matter if the pc5300 modules are CL4 or CL5? Does it make much difference! Gonna get 4gb for my MBP!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Does it matter if the pc5300 modules are CL4 or CL5? Does it make much difference! Gonna get 4gb for my MBP!
No it doesn't. A while back there were a few tests done on more expensive lower-latency RAM. Result: nothing. Use the money for other stuff that actually makes a difference.

If I were you I'd just get two of these for $72.

birdyman18
Banned
Sep 2, 2008, 11:00 PM

Is this the ideal Ram for my 2nd generation Macbook?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134372

How's the price? brand? quality? Any other suggestions?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2008, 09:55 AM

That will work. OTOH this set costs just $36. And two of these will cost only $34.

powerbooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2008, 10:04 AM

To all MB users. Be very careful and gentle when installing your RAM, especially the center slot. It looks easy, but due to the cramp space in the MB, you might have good chance not install the RAM properly.

I just had a failure in my MB, and I think the RAM socket was messed up during the repeat install. it all happened when you hear some click sound when you install the RAM, something like the path to the slot is not smooth. Then, your MB will not boot up, giving you black screen and the sleep light (probably also flashing).

Took out the RAM chip and noticed that the sticker on the bottom of the chips seemed being "lift up", and looking through the slot, I found the plastic that covering some board under the slot had one or two parts also being "lifted". It seemed causing some trouble of install the RAM (the click sound). Now I have one slot defect and waiting for repair.

Lesson: RAM slot in the MB, especially the center one is not for designed to be swapped often. There are some wires underneath that are easily exposed due to the friction to the sticky plastic (and you can see them through the slot). You'd better make up your mind on the chip and install it firmly, and never touch it again!

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2008, 06:02 PM

I just upgraded my MacBook to 4gb, and wow! The difference is insanely great.

Best Buy had 2gb Kingston sticks on sale for $54, so I just bought two of those. They seem to work fine, and the price was almost as good as OWC, but there was no shipping time.

The thing is, on the shelf right next to this RAM was a 2gb Kingston "Apple" RAM stick...for $199?!?! I swear that aside from the packaging, there was absolutely no other difference.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2008, 12:09 AM

That Kingston 2GB stick is just $30 at Newegg.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2008, 08:44 AM

Well nuts.

Oh well, I live right across the street from Best Buy and I had a $50 AT&T rebate card, so that makes me feel slightly better.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2008, 01:00 AM

Ok, so I've noticed something weird since installing this new RAM: my computer is now outrageously hot. Way too hot to use on my lap. And the really weird part is that, according to iStat, it's not running any hotter than before the upgrade. Right now I'm using one of the new 2gb sticks and one of the original 512's. This seems to be the most RAM I can use without the computer getting too hot.

Does anyone have any info about the increase in heat after a RAM upgrade? Is there anything I can do to use the other 2gb stick?

iSnake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2008, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the info on this post...

I had 2 x 1 GB memory stick that i have upgraded from 2 x 512MB, and i got to tell you, my MacBook is the early 06" models and it says the max memory its supposed to be 2 GB...

Anyways, after some research on google, i found this post, i went to the place where i worked, got 2 x 2GB memory sticks, installed on my system, ran some memory tools and appears everything is working fine... so i went ahead and replace the 2x 1GB i had and i bought 2x 2GB cost me 46 dollars each... anyways, the computer reads the total of 4GB.

Thank You Very Much,
Rod.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2008, 02:40 AM

It's been pointed out several times before that just because a Mac "sees" the entire 4 GB of installed RAM does not mean it can actually use the entire 4 GB. Unless you have a Crestline MacBook ("Late 2007" and newer) you cannot use the full 4 GB.

To verify that your Mac is using only 3 of your 4 GB you can look at RAM consumption (in top or AM)
Total = Free + Used
where
Used = Wired + Active + Inactive

Forum Links
Forum Rules