Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bait and switch?

Bait and switch?
jaysones
Mar 19, 2001, 03:44 AM

Well, everyone's been hinting at it so here's where we talk about it. What do you guess Steve will unveil on Wednesday? There's got to be something about OS X that we don't know. Given his incredible attention to detail, I'll wager these guesses:
1.) It'll be faster. Especially window resizing.
2.) Classic apps will be modified with a theme to make them match Aqua more closely. I think they've kept their "Classic" look to embarrass developers into Carbonization. This seems really obvious (not to mention easy) to me, and I hope it happens.
3.) iTunes will be done. (duh.)
What does everyone else think? History pretty much dictates that there will be an "Oh, there is one more thing..." moment.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Mar 19, 2001, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by jaysones:
Well, everyone's been hinting at it so here's where we talk about it. What do you guess Steve will unveil on Wednesday? There's got to be something about OS X that we don't know. Given his incredible attention to detail, I'll wager these guesses:
1.) It'll be faster. Especially window resizing.
2.) Classic apps will be modified with a theme to make them match Aqua more closely. I think they've kept their "Classic" look to embarrass developers into Carbonization. This seems really obvious (not to mention easy) to me, and I hope it happens.
3.) iTunes will be done. (duh.)
What does everyone else think? History pretty much dictates that there will be an "Oh, there is one more thing..." moment.

This, that one that we know for the strong box:

1) is much more fast the most pleasant Window of e,

2) that one that iTunes gives to the coast, the end of the sustenation, the plenty, the fire, and all the this.

3) here are hornilla of the disc - he does not think about those these functions of 4k78 existierent, correctly?

I doubt that slight the one of apps of the Apple most traditional of the one than Aqua to seem to me - they would appreciate realizers a CONTINUATION, because the front part goes when demanding.

------------------
Kevin Buchanan
The Spirit of Volkswagen
The Retro New Beetle Headquarters
Webmaster, Fort Worth VolksFolks Club
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

polo
Mar 19, 2001, 04:01 AM

woah, get a handle on yourself man!

gotterdamm
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2001, 04:11 AM

Do you guys still think Apple is having an unveiling on the 21st?
I'm kind of doubful.
The whole rumor was started because one lose lip exec said something about it during an interview. Not Steve. Steve hasn't so much as hinted about an unveiling for weeks as far as I know.
The most likely scenario: the original unveiling was planned for the 21st. When it was clear that DVD and maybe even iTunes won't be ready by then, Steve announced that the unveiling party would be moved to this summer when the preloading starts. But most media outlets clung to the exec's now outdated 21st party.
I mean think about it: if you where planning a shindig for you and about 2000 of your best media-relations friends wouldn't you, I don't know, invite somebody?
The events just two days away and not so much as a press release. Not even officially mentioned on Apple's news site. In all probability the closest thing you'll see to an unveiling is when you tear off the shrinkwrap.
Let's face it: the revolution will not be televised.

DV
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2001, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by Spirit_VW:
here are hornilla of the disc - ...
That's my favorite line.

DV

------------------
[never believe anything in brackets]

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 04:49 AM

2) that one that iTunes gives to the coast, the end of the sustenation, the plenty, the fire, and all the this.

3) here are hornilla of the disc - he does not think about those these functions of 4k78 existierent, correctly?

I doubt that slight the one of apps of the Apple most traditional of the one than Aqua to seem to me - they would appreciate realizers a CONTINUATION, because the front part goes when demanding.

Hey man, like pass the spliff 'round when you're finished....

Mr_Solar_Wind
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2001, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by gotterdamm:
The whole rumor was started because one lose lip exec said something about it during an interview.
That loose-lipped exec you're talking about is Phil Schiller, Vice President of World-Wide Marketing and Sales. You know the guy, he's on stage with Steve at EVERY SINGLE KEYNOTE SPEECH? He runs all of the speed demos? Hell, the guy even gave the KEYNOTE for Apple last year at NAB...

I'm really sure that Steve is keeping Phil in the dark. Yeah... : :

gotterdamm
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2001, 05:56 AM

Dude, did you read my post?
I said the exec made the claim before Steve changed it.
I don't care what Phil's title is, it won't help him predict the future.

Kosmo
Senior User
Mar 19, 2001, 07:23 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking...I mean, WHERE does it say Appleis doing ANYTHING on the 21st?? I don't see anywhere and personally I don't think their will be a peep out of Apple until the 24th and even then maybe just a press release...

JM

http://www.macnet2.com

gotterdamm
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2001, 07:34 AM

Exactly
Think about it this way guys: how would Apple let us see this press conference?
Wouldn't be Quicktime streamed because it's not scheduled on the website.
Wouldn't be in the news because the press hasn't been invited.
Unless Steve plans on delivering each package by hand, we are not seeing him until the next Macworld.
In other words: the conference Phil was speaking of was cancelled. But since the event was never officially planned, there's no need to report the cancellation. Most fans just haven't caught on to that yet.

[This message has been edited by gotterdamm (edited 03-19-2001).]

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2001, 10:45 AM

Maybe Jobs is announcing that he's stepping down as iCEO.

cowerd
Senior User
Mar 19, 2001, 11:06 AM

More revisionist history. Apple has stated since MWSF that the official unveiling of OSX would occur at MWNY. This was restated at MWTokyo. Or did you forget that part of the keynote. The March 21st press conference, as I believe it was called by Schiller, has never even been listed as an official Apple event on their website.

Big product intros are called Apple Events in officical Apple agitprop. So get over it. It was never supposed to be a big, or do you forget this story from c|net:
Chief Executive Steve Jobs has said that the $129 upgrade will not receive Apple's usual splashy product introduction when it is released March 24. According to sources at a late January presentation for Apple staffers, Jobs said the company will soft-pedal the next-generation OS until summer partly because of a lack of applications that will be written to take advantage of the new OS.

"We're going to let them grab it out of our hands," he told the employees, according to sources.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 19, 2001, 11:13 AM

There may be no conference after all, but it doesn't matter, it doesn't mean that OS X is going to 'suck' as some suggested.
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Lord Kronos:
There may be no conference after all, but it doesn't matter, it doesn't mean that OS X is going to 'suck' as some suggested.
<homer simpson>
Yeah, suck like a fox!
</homer simpson>

The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2001, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by dogzilla:
Maybe Jobs is announcing that he's stepping down as iCEO.
As soon as that happens, I'll probably start looking into the gentlest migration strategy for moving to Microsoft stuff -- without Jobs, there is NO Apple Computer.

Mark my words, if Jobs ever leaves Apple again, the platform will be dead within 2 years.

(Let's just hope that doesn't happen for a good, long, time, neh?)

------------------
Justify my text? I'm sorry, but it has no excuse.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2001, 02:33 PM

Your theories interest me. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 08:07 PM

I would have to say that you are correct, Apple, as we know it anyways, would be dead. Steve is Apple, I would think that when he steps down he will have hand selected his replacement

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2001, 09:11 PM

Until I get my box on Saturday, I don't believe a word of it. Who knows where he got that box, how, and under what circumstances. If it IS true, however, I hope the build in the box is cleaned up and more stable than what is already being reported of 4k78.

TC
Senior User
Mar 19, 2001, 09:24 PM

He has a web site you know!
http://homepage.mac.com/spirit_vw/
Nothing to see, move along.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Mar 19, 2001, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by TC:
He has a web site you know!
http://homepage.mac.com/spirit_vw/
You know, ALL my recent posts were very well thought out, intelligent, and coherent - before I got tired and decided, "What the hey, I'll run 'em all through Babelfish a few times!"

Glad I provided some entertainment.

------------------
Kevin Buchanan
The Spirit of Volkswagen
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Raman_iforgotmypwd
Mar 19, 2001, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:

Hey man, like pass the spliff 'round when you're finished....
I think the same people that translated "All your base are belong to us" translated his post.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Mar 19, 2001, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Raman_iforgotmypwd:
I think the same people that translated "All your base are belong to us" translated his post.
hehehe Nope, just good 'ole Babelfish, care of Multibabel.

------------------
Kevin Buchanan
The Spirit of Volkswagen
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Ballet Dancing Orangatang
Mar 19, 2001, 11:43 PM

Too many day-to-day (or in the case of here, minute-by-minute) Applewatchers expecting way too much.

Watch a couple of prior keynotes where Jobs had to constantly backpeddle on release dates. One of these (prior to the PB release at Apple Expo 2000; so either MWNY or MWSF 2000 and possibly WWDC2000), he finally mentioned that Mac OS X would be a series of releases throughout the year. This is what we're seeing with the initial release being put out mainly to grab early adopters and to also ship something so that developers can start their qualification/testing. The preloaded version in the summer (if Apple keeps to that target) will likely be more feature parity in terms of the Apple "iApps". At recent MW expos, Apple has noted that the initial OS X rollout will be low key and come this weekend, we'll probably hear more after the fact moaning about just how low key it was. Some folks expectations are constantly running in overdrive and it is therefore natural that they'll likely be disappointed come this weekend. It is rather funny that the level of paranoia is so high that even with leaked pics of the packaging and disks, some folks are still deluding themselves that those are doctored.

All I know is that for myself, this rollout this weekend represents the beginning of a new era for the Macintosh platform and I'm looking forward to getting my copy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules