Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme not working right...

Airport Extreme not working right...
Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2005, 04:39 AM

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I am having some issues.

I've got an Airport Extreme Base Station, and a new iBook with an AE card in it. My iBook picks up a signal from the Station, but won't go online. I can modify the Base Station from my comp (changing name, password, etc), but I can't access the Internet!! Hooking the Ethernet cable directly to the computer works fine, so I know the modem is working.

I'm using it hooked up to a cable modem, and yes, I've tried power cycling, and yes, the Ethernet is hooked into the correct jack. Any ideas? I basically have a 250 dollar hunk of plastic on my desk!
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 1, 2005, 11:30 AM

Can you give some specifics? Your network setup, from cable modem to AEBS, how the base is configured (and how you did that-over wireless or through a cable), and how your iBook's networking is configured, would all be very useful in figuring this out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Bluebomber21XX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Can you give some specifics? Your network setup, from cable modem to AEBS, how the base is configured (and how you did that-over wireless or through a cable), and how your iBook's networking is configured, would all be very useful in figuring this out.
Certainly. I'm using a Comcast cable modem, with an Ethernet cord into the WAN port (the one that looks like a circle), and I am using 128 WEP security with a password, channel 10, with 802.11g mode only mode on. I configured the base using wireless which is why I am curious why the Internet is not responding.. I can see it, just not get online.

As far as the iBook's networking, it is set to Airport in the Network System Prefs... If there is something I didn't mention, please let me know, and I'll provide it.

Thanks for the help!
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 1, 2005, 08:34 PM

I'll bet your password is wrong one way or another. Further, since you have Extreme on the computer, why not use WPA, which is MUCH more secure (just about anything is more secure than WEP, but this is truly secure)? Further, passwords in WPA are easier to manage than with WEP.

Try this: turn off WEP on both the base and your computer and see if you connect then. If you do-and I think you will-the next step is to set up WPA.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules