Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X and Intel - Change a Windows PC to a Mac???

OS X and Intel - Change a Windows PC to a Mac???
Anakin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 04:41 PM

I read today that OS X was designed from the get-go to operate on Intel chips. So what would it take now to convert a Windows based machine, like one from Dell, to an Apple machine running OS X given no processor change is necessary???

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 04:45 PM

Won't happen. Schiller already said so.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Anakin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Randman

Thanks Randman.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
I couldn't tell if you were being a little ironic or not. You can run MacOS X on the PowerPC-based AmigaOne and Pegasos machines, so it will happen.

The legality of it is one matter and it may not be entirely native. The solution I mentioned is a stripped down Linux kernel. It boots transparently into MacOnLinux as if it was running OS X natively.

Chris

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:08 PM

You must observe the semantics. What will happen is exactly what SGI did with the x86 320 and 540 series. A special Frimware (BIOS) that runs the underlying hardware. You won't see a mobo at CompUSA that you can build a OS X box with.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler McAdams
You must observe the symantecs.... what will happen is exactly what SGI did with the x86 320 and 540 series. A special Frimware (BIOS) that runs the underlying hardware. You won't see a mobo at CompUSA that you can build a OS X box with it.
It will boot into OS X and at pretty much full speed (or faster than the newest Mac if Apple happen to be between revisions)

Emulation, however silent, doesn't make a Dell into a Mac though. But then neither does having a cheap plastic piece of tat on your desk!

Chris

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 05:28 PM

Intel CPU does not = IBM/PC (Wintel as known)

The CPU will be intel…chipset, etc a proprietary co-development. In fact, the socket may not even be the same.

You will not be buying parts at NewEgg to build an OS X box anytime soon.

T

P
Jun 6, 2005, 05:41 PM

I think the difference is that Apple will make a special chipset and not include drivers in OS X for standard chipsets. Of course, nothing is stopping you from developing your own chipset...

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 05:43 PM

One word
pearpc.

If an emulator was built for the PPC how much more efficient and speedy could one be when the CPUs are the same.

phataccord04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 06:11 PM

I would think there would be a slown down in the processing power, over the mac format now. Intel needs more mhz to complete the same task as a Risc processor. Risc and Cisc were never ment to compete becuase of how they do the computing, imo it was a stupid move. Apple seels to a specific market and I think people at apple are getting gready and want more people to come over.

As stated above u can not go into compusa and get parts to build one some time soon or who knows when.

As I tell others when it happens I will belive it, i rather stick to my powerbook for now.
PB G4 1.33 15" Combo Drive 1,256 Mem :)

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
One word
pearpc.

If an emulator was built for the PPC how much more efficient and speedy could one be when the CPUs are the same.
MacOnLinux is a much better example and, like I said, already runs on non-Apple PowerPC machines.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 06:53 PM

I suppose a virtual machine emulator like MacOnLinux or VMware could let you run OS X after a fashion. However, you'll be missing the excellent hardware integration and the "just-works" factor of a real Mac. That might not be a bad thing - it could give PC users their first taste of OS X and convince them to switch.

pliny
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 07:06 PM

Seems like you'll be able to dual boot OS X and Windows on a Macintel. That should be interesting.

Macintel. *shudder*
i look in your general direction

tigas
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 08:10 PM

I would wait for more details, especially about the developer machines. Let's hope some developer cracks wind...

For now, I'm willing to believe in Apple x86 machines with proprietary Apple motherboards, Open Firmware and expansion boards with the same ROMs used in PPC machines. Those will NOT be compatible witn Windoze, but FreeDOS may get some action.

If course, you could run OpenDarwin, but what for?

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by tigas
I For now, I'm willing to believe in Apple x86 machines with proprietary Apple motherboards, Open Firmware
x86 Macs will not use Open Firmware...
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules