Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 17" Studio Display and Voodoo 5?

17" Studio Display and Voodoo 5?
devospice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2000, 07:20 AM

I recently bought one of the new multi-processor G4s (the 450) and with it I ordered a Voodoo 5 card.

I also ordered a new 17" Apple Studio Display which finally came yesterday. However, it has one of those new Apple connectors that has both the video signal and the power supply in one cable. Which means I have to hook it up to the ATI card and hook up my old monitor to the Voodoo card. So I have a $300 Voodoo card driving a 6 year old, 15" beat up monitor.

Does anyone know any way around this? I'm contemplating sending back the monitor and getting a 3rd party one so I can hook it up to the Voodoo card.

Thanks.

->Later.....Spice

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2000, 08:22 AM

I believe Apple said they would be selling an adaptor to take care of this problem. You may want to wait till after the Expo on the 13th, to see if they are selling it yet (3rd party manufacturers may be selling them to, by then). I wouldn�t send back your new monitor yet, they are pretty sweet!

rdgit
Sep 6, 2000, 12:22 PM

Send it back and get the earlier 17" Studio Display. I just bought one and it is a beautiful monitor!!

devospice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2000, 01:32 PM

I'm going to call Apple tonight and see what they say. (Although I have a general idea how the conversation is going to go.)

I think I'm going to hold on to it and buy another monitor (probably a Sony or something) to hook up to the Voodoo card. My second monitor (which is on the Voodoo now) is a 15 inch Apple monitor that has been used every day for the past 6 years. I don't know how much longer it's going to be around.

I wrote to 3DFX today and they said that currently they know of no way to hook up the monitor, but they are coming out with a new card that will have the Apple ADC connection in it. She didn't know when it would be out and didn't comment on the cost, so I don't know anything more than "it's coming".

->Later.....Spice

Forum Links
Forum Rules