Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > This is no mockup..

This is no mockup..
Aldie G
Nov 27, 2001, 12:03 PM

I was bored and this is what I did.. just to see what OS X could take..

I created a new Finder window, selected ALL of the items in my Applications folder and selected 'open' from the file-menu.

About 4 minutes after that, the system was done loading the apps and was registering my mouseclicks again..
The OS was still a bit usable, although quite slow in app-switching and it was paging a lot. I was afraid my HD would screw up and I almost hit the reset button . It wrote about 200 megs to the disk (I have 384 mb ram) .. .. but X didn't crash.

The result:

Bigger screenshot

It then took 1 minute for all apps to quit after I selected 'Log out' from the applemenu, but then I logged back in and everything was back to normal.

Anyone would like to count the number of running applications?

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Aldie G ]

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2001, 12:09 PM

wow

403 Forbidden

Great....I should have known better than to even read this thread.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Aldie G  (op)
Nov 27, 2001, 12:24 PM

??

kangoo_boo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2001, 12:50 PM

okay.
next thread anyone ? =))
hotline://hl.chatonly.org
mp3://radio.chatonly.org

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 27, 2001, 12:52 PM

33, not counting the UNIX stuff going on underneath.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 27, 2001, 01:24 PM

Just because I had to try...

Currently I have 53 apps open, including iMovie 2, XDarwin, top (in Terminal), and Return to Castle Wolfenstein MP Test 2. This is on a G4 466 with 256MB RAM. They've all been running now for at least 10 minutes. Here are my pageins/pageouts: <font face = "courier">66128(0) pageins, 210147(0) pageouts</font>

It's amazing. OmniWeb still loads pages normally and I can still get 30-40 FPS outside and 70-90 FPS inside in Wolfenstein.

There is no way, even on the coldest day of hell, that I could do this in OS 9. It's just nutz! This OS is cool.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2001, 01:29 PM

mmmm.....

Cool... I have had over 6 apps open at once doing a project and my machine didn't slow down... Stuff like VPC Office etc...

I love X coz if one app crashes the rest is fine...

Cheers Edd

a-poria
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2001, 01:49 PM

Ran it and it took about 4 min., opened 26 applications, including a number of games. All of this on pismo, 400, 512/20 os 10.1.1.

What really tested os x for me was when i attempted to link to an e-mail address in omniweb sneakpeek10, it told me my default e-mail program might not be able to handle it, and asked me if I wanted quit. i, of course, said continue and a loop between entourage and omniweb took over my system until it exhausted itself, close to a minute later. following that the screen went grey, menu bar disappeared, dock changed background (i have transparent dock), and then within seconds, back to normal. i didn't even bother restarting, and that was yesterday. nice indeed.

Terri
Senior User
Nov 27, 2001, 03:26 PM

What theme is that you are running? It looks nicer then the one I'm running.

jaysones
Nov 27, 2001, 05:07 PM

Yeah, what theme is that? That looks great!

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2001, 05:16 PM

That theme is Sosumi, by Sine.

Thread: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=001337
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2001, 05:28 PM

Heheh, Surfer's Serials Reader X is the same in any language.

What I'm afraid of is not so much 500000000 appz open at once. What I'm afraid of is having a ton of web pages and Finder Windows open while running Photoshop, Word, and Excel.

Maybe I should upgrade to 640 MB...

saltines17
Senior User
Nov 27, 2001, 07:21 PM

I've had 75 apps open while listening to iTunes and watching a QuickTime movie

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2001, 10:50 PM

I currently have 14...in 9, I would run 4 tops. And when I wanted to play a game I would quit EVERY app, just to make sure. Apps haven't even really been crashing either...not even Omniweb....
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2001, 12:06 AM

Yeah, no way could OS 9 do this. But what exactly is the importance of doing this? Opening every app on one's hard drive is dead cool, but is that how anyone works?

My complaints about OS X have nothing to do with multitasking. In fact I'm routinely floored by how many simultaneous tasks I can throw at OS X without a glitch....

...but then I try to do two (2) things at once, dial in to my ISP, and listen to iTunes (MP3 or CD), and the music skips.

If I want to download a file in Explorer while working in the finder, and also monitor the progress of the download in the finder, then it's impossible. OS 9 let me do this, but in OS X, IE5 doesn't update it's icons properly, hell it doesn't even do simple drag and drop downloads to the finder properly. It's buggy and unstable. It sucks!

err, sorry I didn't mean to rant, but OS X has a long ways to go before I'll consider it a solid improvement over OS 9. For everything I love about OS X, there is something to hate along with it. Fortunately, the ratio of love:hate is improving. While using 10.0.x, it was around 0.15-0.03, but now it's up to 4-6!

So, uhh, opening 69 applications at once is cool beans, but having as many as 2 (two) apps run simultaneosly without any glitches is dead cool.

And BTW, OS X rocks!
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Forum Links
Forum Rules