Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Bring LiteSwitch to OS X. Please.

Bring LiteSwitch to OS X. Please.
Spliff
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2001, 04:27 PM

I've never liked Apple's implementation of application switching via Cmd-Tab (either in OS 9 or OS X). I think LiteSwitch (for OS 9) from Proteron does it much better. Proteron has made LiteSwitch Open Source and is being distributed for free. The CodeWarrior project is available here:

ftp://ftp.proteron.com/pub/LiteSwitch_source.bin

Why am I posting this? Because I'm hoping that someone can port this tiny app to OS X because the Dock doesn't provide good visual feedback when switching applications using Cmd-Tab. If I had any programming skills whatsoever, I'd do it myself. But I don't.

Any takers?

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2001, 11:24 PM

No need for it unless you're poor. Keyboard Maestro, based on the Classic utility Program Switcher does everything that LiteSwitch does and more.

Currently Keyboard Maestro is in beta. While it is in beta it is free. When the final version is released, it will cost $20.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Adam Silver ]

lindberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2001, 11:36 PM

LaunchBar is also only $20. Much much more than just an app switcher, but it does that quite well too.

kamprath
Nov 29, 2001, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Adam Silver:
<STRONG>No need for it unless you're poor. Keyboard Maestro, based on the Classic utility Program Switcher does everything that LiteSwitch does and more.

Currently Keyboard Maestro is in beta. While it is in beta it is free. When the final version is released, it will cost $20.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Adam Silver ]</STRONG>
You didn't hear it from me . . . but . . . when Keyboard MAestro goes final, there will be a "lite" version (effectively, the unregistered version) which people will be free to use. Included in the lite version will be the Program Switcher functionality.

Michael Kamprath
--
Michael F. Kamprath

reukiodo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2018, 01:02 AM

In reply to Bring LiteSwitch to OS X. Please.

ftp://ftp.proteron.com/pub/LiteSwitch_source.bin is broken and isn't in the internet archive.

If anyone downloaded the LiteSwitch code, could you please post it here? This seems to be impossible to find on the internet now.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 14, 2018, 01:56 AM

@reukiodo, posting to old threads is blocked to frustrate spammers. It's not forbidden. Ask a local Moderator to bump the old thread for you, which unlocks it.

The download link does not work because the domain "proteron .com" is no longer owned.

The old proteron page it was linked from can be viewed here. Though as you say, the file itself is not cached.

LiteSwitch has since been ported to X already. User reviews are decent. The guy hosting it presumably still has the old source code file somewhere, and there's a twitter handle for contact purposes.

reukiodo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2018, 01:59 PM

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not sure if sysbeep.com's Amon Skidmore is the same developer as the classic app, but I've contacted him on twitter to see if he can share the code.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2018, 03:13 PM

Holy friggin zombie thread.

-t

reukiodo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2018, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Holy friggin zombie thread.
Just because there were no more replies doesn't mean that the topic has ended.

See https://xkcd.com/979/
( Last edited by reukiodo; Jun 16, 2018 at 02:10 AM. Reason: correct url)

Forum Links
Forum Rules