Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch Safari Search Engine

iPod Touch Safari Search Engine
~bash $
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2007, 09:10 PM

I'm wondering why my Safari Google defaults to South Africa. Anyone else notice this?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2007, 09:50 PM

Mine works fine. Where are you really at?

~bash $  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2007, 12:06 AM

The United States, heh. It's kind of curious.

Visnaut
Senior User
Nov 26, 2007, 08:40 AM

Is this the case from every wifi base station you access, or just one?

If it's just one, perhaps the geoIP service google is using is just plain confused.

If it's across the board, maybe you've signed in to a google service (like google calendar) and your account for some reason has the wrong country selected.

Either scenario seems unlikely to me, however, but I thought I'd just throw that out there.

~bash $  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2007, 09:11 PM

I confirmed it today on multiple wifi points (different ISPs, etc. etc.). Kind of amusing. I don't think it really affects anything, but ...
oh! you know what, it just dawned on me. There are two things that are South African-ized in my stuff that might be making a difference. I noticed that the only clock that showed up on my World clock was for Cape Town, South Africa. It was somehow synced from my Mac's Region settings, which I set to South Africa because they're the closest to what I like (long, uninteresting story ... ). I throw in a couple of customizations from that point, but I bet it somehow caught on to the regionalization settings that I had set there. Funny, if true. Without any tinkering, my iPod's region settings are something similar to the "South Africa" settings.

AH HA! (I like finding little solutions like this)

Changing the region settings on the iPod changes the search engine in Safari. Though I think a better way would be by IP, it's still kind of amusing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules