Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Use one Mac or use 2?

Use one Mac or use 2?
mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2007, 02:01 AM

I'm looking for opinions on what computer I should use, or if I should
use both?

I was given a Macbook Pro by my work (slightly older Intel Core Duo
2.16Ghz) with 2GB RAM.

I have a G5 dual 2.3 at home with 2.5GB of Ram

Both computers seem about the same speed although I know the Macbook
Pro will be able to run more things going forward since it's an Intel
Mac.

If I go with using the Macbook Pro only, I would need to get a larger
hard drive since it only has a 100GB installed and my G5 has 300GB and
I'm using about 150GB of it.

Should I ditch the G5 and just use the Macbook Pro only? Or, should I
use both computers?

Any advice would be great!

~bash $
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2007, 11:46 AM

Wait, what's the benefit of ditching the G5?

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ~bash $ View Post
Wait, what's the benefit of ditching the G5?
A faster machine that is more portable and not having to work between two machines. I feel like working between two machines is going to be hard if you are doing the same exact things on both of them.

Anyways, western digital has a 320gig laptop drive. So if you pick one of those up then the MBP should have plenty of storage. I'd take the MBP, (I bought one over a used G5 a few months ago and am pretty happy with the decision).

reader50
Administrator
Dec 8, 2007, 02:53 PM

How firm is their "giving" of the MBP to you, are you really the owner? Were you to lose your job, would they keep the laptop? In such a case, you'd be forced to buy a new computer just when finances are the worst.

You might also want a non-work computer for your ... artistic downloads.

I kept my own previous comp, so that I'd have a backup computer. Also, so guests / significant other can use a computer when they want to, without bumping me. Helps you avoid the shakes, from internet withdrawal.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2007, 05:40 PM

If what you do for a living relies on your computer, you WANT a backup computer available 24:7

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2007, 01:39 AM

I agree. I would keep the dual G5 at this moment. 1) the MBP is a work-related machine. 2) I thought nowadays people do have a notebook and a desktop at the same time.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2007, 03:18 AM

And G5s just kick a lot more ass anyway.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2007, 10:28 AM

I guess it really depends on your work, (ie: how stringent are they going to be about the computer being customized/used for non-work purposes? Is it really yours?) and whether you've got a lot of non-work related things you use a computer for at home.

I have 3 -- a G5 at home, a G5 at work, and a Powerbook that I tote in between. All three are indespensible, as I'd go nuts working in Illustrator & Photoshop on a 15" laptop screen all day, and my home machine is filled with non-work-related photography and music. My Powerbook goes out of town with me, and has been useful as a backup machine when my G5 was in the shop (bad RAM- you'd think i could have diagnosed that myself. duh.) for a week, and for the two weeks at work before they got me a desktop to use.

As a Mac hoarder, I do have to ask why anyone in their right mind would get rid of a perfectly functional G5 tower, but maybe that's just a character flaw.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules