Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > SDK will be delayed

SDK will be delayed
CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2008, 10:52 AM

Byte of the Apple The iPhone SDK Will Be Late - BusinessWeek

Great, just f-ing great.

Apple is rarely late. She must've forgotten to take her pill.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2008, 11:41 AM

That's a rumor. There is one more week in February. Apple always waits until the last minute for releases. It will be out on the 26th, as already established. And in the past, Apple's been so obsessed with the iPhone (resulting in the delay of Leopard) that it seems to be highly improbable that they'd push back the SDK. What else would they be working on right now?
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Feb 23, 2008 at 03:40 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
That's a rumor. There is one more week in February. Apple always waits until the last minute for releases. It will be out on the 26th, as already established. And in the past, Apple's been so obsessed with the iPhone (resulting in the delay of Leopard) that it seems to be highly improbable that they'd push back the SDK. What else would they be working on right now?
Well, it's the 27th and nothing here for the iPhone:

Apple - Development Kits

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2008, 02:19 PM

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 10:53 PM

Enterprise features...yummy...

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2008, 07:47 AM

Oh horrors!

It's the end of civilization as we know it.

Get a grip.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 12:05 PM

Why can't Apple get anything out on time anymore? They are like M$ these days. They delayed Leopard for the iPhone, now they have Leopard out and can't get anything done for the iPhone?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 12:07 PM

Well considering the legend of Steve, he's probably wary of expanding the size of the company. Bigger = Harder to control

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 12:12 PM

SDK Roadmap
In software development speak, "roadmap" means "These are the delivery dates we hope to meet for the product". Roadmaps are flexible things and dates are always pushed.

My guess, if anything is launched on March 6th, it will only be the barest of bones, and won't hold a candle to Install.app

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 12:14 PM

See, that's what's bad about it. Steve promised the SDK by February. Looks like he'll finally start talking about it in March and even then not release until later.

kman42
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2008, 02:29 PM

I bet the SDK will be released, but the iTunes-based delivery method won't be ready until later.

"To get our developers started..." sayeth the Steve.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 03:12 PM

It'd be a much bigger bang if they actually released a killer third-party app at the same time.

Edit: Well, lookee here: AppleInsider | iPhone to gain better Exchange, Lotus Notes support at SDK event
Heh.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
It'd be a much bigger bang if they actually released a killer third-party app at the same time.

Edit: Well, lookee here: AppleInsider | iPhone to gain better Exchange, Lotus Notes support at SDK event
Heh.
//dream
Mobile PhotoShop, iChat, Word oh my!
//dream over

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2008, 03:33 PM

Roadmap could also mean something like "hey, here's a map of everywhere you can go with the iPhone now that you have an SDK in your hands. You've been wanting to go to a certain place, well now you can and here's how to get there." It doesn't necessarily mean Apple will just announce the SDK and more delays. Why would they gather people in one place just to announce that sort of thing? They would be better served by announcing that through a press release and not a gathering.

My prediction: there will indeed be a full blown SDK released to the public, as well as a hearty firmware update, and even a few apps ready to download from iTunes on Thursday.

The Enterprise teaser is what really gets me excited. Copy/Paste? Oh yes.. can't really have an enterprise worthy phone without the ability to edit text, right? Mmmmm... I really hope that's included!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2008, 07:50 PM

//dream
Mobile PhotoShop
Are you for real?

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Feb 29, 2008, 12:43 PM

.... I just want iWork On The Go. Maybe iLife To Go.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 12:47 PM

I'm thinking Maya mobile.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I'm thinking Maya mobile.
Only if Apple approves of it
iPhone software development to be locked down by Apple? - Engadget

If this is how it's gonna role out, I'll be sticking with Jailbreak.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 01:43 PM

I want mobile Final Cut pro but with all the features of the desktop version.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Only if Apple approves of it
iPhone software development to be locked down by Apple? - Engadget

If this is how it's gonna role out, I'll be sticking with Jailbreak.
I'd prefer a "caveat emptor" open system too. But isn't that pretty much what was expected, that distribution would be via iTunes, and controlled by Apple?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 04:23 PM

Problem also is if you unlock or jailbreak your phone iTunes probably won't let you install 3rd party apps through iTunes as it can easily check.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Are you for real?
That's my dream. I really don't see why we couldn't since Adobe will add Flash one day.
+5 for procrastination Apple.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 1, 2008, 10:28 PM

That's my dream. I really don't see why we couldn't since Adobe will add Flash one day.
You never know for sure if Adobe will add Flash. It may be integral to accessing a lot of the webpages that exist, but it's very impractical on such a mobile device, especially since you'll get to see your battery meter drain. Like actually see the bar decrease. Someone else pointed it out before, you don't simply add Flash, there's a lot of other procedures involved.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

rogermugs
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2008, 05:53 AM

I would argue...
but its difficult to.
I was telling a friend that they would definitely make the feb release date... they just were releasing false rumors about it not being done in time...

i hate being wrong (unfortunately it seems to happen a lot)

i say the sdk comes in full force come the 6th tho.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 04:45 PM

Last I heard from the people at Adobe is that they are not even working on a flash player for the iPhone and they are also quite sure the iPhones processor couldn't handle it. Even the mobil version of flash would have a hard time playing most flash sites even though the iPhone is almost 600MHz.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2008, 09:17 PM

Flash works on PSPs just fine and they aren't half as good on the internet as iPhones/iPod touches.

Visnaut
Senior User
Mar 3, 2008, 11:28 PM

Flash works on PSPs just fine and they aren't half as good on the internet as iPhones/iPod touches.
See, here's the thing with that: It only supports a pared-down version of Flash 6, doesn't support loading content much larger than 1.5 MB, doesn't play video, and struggles to perform any faster than 24fps. So what's your definition of "just fine"? Many common Flash sites have much higher requirements than these.

My old 400Mhz G4 tower with 2GB of RAM chugs with just one or two Flash banner ads on a page. How do you imagine the iPhone, running at a similar clock speed and much less memory, would perform? It's not to say it can't be done. Some level of Flash support is doable, I'm sure. But to what end? To display neutered content? Or make your iPhone unbearably slow while it's attempting to run it? The fact is, it would probably be both.

I just don't see it happening. Adobe might put something out, maybe a standalone player, or maybe even a Safari plugin. But the limitations and performance of the latter would disappoint many people, I think. It's just not feasible with the current hardware.

Now, when Apple releases portable devices based on some of the new Intel compact chips announced recently, then we can talk about Flash on the iPhone/iPod.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 3, 2008, 11:33 PM

Are you kidding me? I own a PSP, and Flash is absolutely excruciating.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2008, 07:26 PM

This is from today and straight from Steve Jobs.

"Turning back to the iPhone, don't expect support for Adobe's Flash technology anytime soon. The full-blown PC Flash version "performs too slow to be useful" on the iPhone, and a mobile version called Flash Lite "is not capable of being used with the Web," Jobs said. Without an option that falls in between, it sounds like Flash is not going to be supported on the iPhone until the performance of the underlying hardware improves."

Apple shareholders pepper Jobs with questions | One More Thing - CNET News.com

Visnaut
Senior User
Mar 4, 2008, 11:28 PM

This is from today and straight from Steve Jobs.

"Turning back to the iPhone, don't expect support for Adobe's Flash technology anytime soon. The full-blown PC Flash version "performs too slow to be useful" on the iPhone, and a mobile version called Flash Lite "is not capable of being used with the Web," Jobs said. Without an option that falls in between, it sounds like Flash is not going to be supported on the iPhone until the performance of the underlying hardware improves."

Apple shareholders pepper Jobs with questions | One More Thing - CNET News.com
Thank you. I finally have something to quote when the Flash on iPhone question comes up again. I hope we can lay that one to rest now.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2008, 01:58 AM

The only time I miss flash is for sites that use flash video. If somehow Apple can do that I will be happy.

Screw flash in any other form.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2008, 12:07 PM

Oh come on, we all want Flash so we can see more embedded ads! I particularly love those that make noise or let you play a fun game like swat the fly!

CorpITGuy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Oh come on, we all want Flash so we can see more embedded ads! I particularly love those that make noise or let you play a fun game like swat the fly!
I prefer the ones where you slap some random politician with your mouse and win a free MacBook Air.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Pair of iPhones

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2008, 01:51 PM

I don't really mind the lack of Flash on the iPhone, except that AT&T uses Flash at its quite terrible viewmymessage.com site, which we're all forced to use due to having no MMS.

TravisReynolds
Mar 5, 2008, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones View Post
I don't really mind the lack of Flash on the iPhone, except that AT&T uses Flash at its quite terrible viewmymessage.com site, which we're all forced to use due to having no MMS.
your right, i hate that thing. its so stupid
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 12:21 AM

The only time I miss flash is for sites that use flash video. If somehow Apple can do that I will be happy.

Screw flash in any other form.
I agree, but I think Apple is not going to do it, at least anytime soon. They're banking on standards and QuickTime for the long term.

CorpITGuy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
I agree, but I think Apple is not going to do it, at least anytime soon. They're banking on standards and QuickTime for the long term.
Yep. Apple is hard-headed and forward-leaning at the same time. It's quite odd. But then again, they do Think Different.

Pair of iPhones

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2008, 02:20 PM

OMG! The developer site says "We'll be back later!" OMG OMG OMG. Sorry...I'm okay now.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 02:43 PM

I like the Enterprise features! Now our IT dept has no excuses, they have to support the iPhone. Just need them to get off their asses and do it now.

(yep, I'm bored in between refreshing Gizmodo)

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 03:16 PM

Whee, us iPod touch owners get to pay another nominal fee!

“Building Better Worlds”

passmaster16
Senior User
Mar 6, 2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani View Post
I figured. Hopefully the nominal is no more than the $20 they charged for the last update.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 03:28 PM

I'm kinda bummed we gotta wait until June. I was seriously salivating over the apps they demoed today.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I want Super Monkey Ball on my iPhone.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2008, 03:42 PM

It is taking FOREVER to try to load the developer page. I have gotten about 50 "Server too busy" messages so far...
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 04:09 PM

I have to say I find it a bit strange that an iPhone can play a full 3D game at 30fps but can't handle a flash banner ad.

Either Apple is trying to kill flash as a video format or it is a really inefficiently written program.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 04:12 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not the iPhone can handle Flash, it certainly can. I'm not sure what the problem is really. I've heard though that Apple is not satisfied with the current mobile version of Flash, and wants something better for the iPhone.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 04:21 PM

What does the mobile flash do anyway?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani View Post
OMG imagine that. So basically us early adopters are going to pay a ton of money just to get software updates. Great. Honestly, I don't think I'll buy a new iPod again if this is what's going to happen. Also, it's great that you have to have an Intel Mac, although I guess it makes sense.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2008, 06:50 PM

What does the mobile flash do anyway?
I have no idea really. I just remember hearing a discussion about it on one of the many podcasts I listen to. Apparently mobile Flash is pretty lame. And I think we can all relate to how the "normal" Flash can bring even the most powerful desktop computers to their knees (when poorly written sites use it).

Apple knows everyone wants Flash on the iPhone. There has to be a good reason why they haven't done it yet. I just wish Apple would let us all know that reason.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 06:54 PM

I don't have an iPod touch (yet) but I honestly wouldn't mind paying up for an update after buying one. Its better than paying for an iPhone and then paying over $700 per year for a contract to use it.

No offence to iPhone users but $20 is a bargain in comparison.

Overall this SDK is impressive, really shows what the platform is capable of with stuff like Spore and the space combat game. It will be interesting to see how many charge for their apps and games, and what the cost will be.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules