Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 4 Update

iOS 4 Update
ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 21, 2010, 01:20 PM

12:15 pm CT iOS 4 update available via iTunes

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 01:22 PM

Let me know if anyone put's it on their 3G.

ApeInTheShell  (op)
Senior User
Jun 21, 2010, 01:42 PM

It looks AWESOME!
A strange dialog popped up and asked for my voicemail password but so far so good

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 02:33 PM

My phones taking AGES to backup before it does the update..... zzzzzZZZZzzzz
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 02:35 PM

Yes. It's great. You do have to re-enter your voicemail password. Did I say it's great?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 02:38 PM

No, how great is it?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 02:42 PM

Insanely great?

I'm stuck at work. I'll update tonight barring any horror stories.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
3G or 3GS?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 02:54 PM

It's insanely great. Once installed, visit the app store and download iBooks.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 02:55 PM

Tip: Every stays open for multitasking. If you want to quit one, tap and hold from the multitasking interface, then tap the minus sign.

CoachU
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2010, 02:57 PM

Updated like a breeze on iPod touch. Had some trouble getting iBooks. It's running but it's kindda slugish. Lagging when changing pages. But everything else seem to be working good.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 02:59 PM

I think I'm just gonna wait until iPhone 4 on Thurday to play around with iOS4.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 03:02 PM

Same release as the GM given to developers. So if you're a dev with a GM release no need to try and update to this.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Same here. iPhone 3G

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
3G or 3GS?
3G... its done it now... was just slow to start with!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jun 21, 2010, 03:52 PM

iPod Touch 2nd gen.

I'm experiencing weird wifi drops with my AirPort Express. It never happened before and it doesn't happen with my Mac. I also, as a precaution, restarted everything in the Internet chain and changed channels on my Express, but the problem persists. It's not that annoying save for videos (which get stuck and I have to reload them from the beginning) and the App Store.
Sometimes it gets sluggish when I hit the Home button: the icons fly in not as smoothly as before. The rest works well so far (I love folders and an unified Inbox; especially an unified Inbox).

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

giggs11
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2010, 04:59 PM

Finally got my iPhone 3G upgraded.

Noticed that I can't seem to set home screen wallpaper, only the standard lock screen wallpaper. Is that restricted to iPhone 3GS and 4?

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by giggs11 View Post
Finally got my iPhone 3G upgraded.

Noticed that I can't seem to set home screen wallpaper, only the standard lock screen wallpaper. Is that restricted to iPhone 3GS and 4?
I've read on other forums that custom home screen wallpapers aren't available on the 3G with iOS4. Honestly it's a bit silly seeing that BossPaper on my previously jailbroken iPhone 3G worked without any negatives. I'm not sure why Apple couldn't figure out how to make this happen for the first two iPhone generations.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 05:11 PM

Yeah, it's 3GS and 4 only, for technical reasons I saw explained on arstechnica. According to a guy named Alex,

In implementing homescreen wallpapers, Apple realised that (as is clear from many Jailbreak themes) custom backgrounds often look rubbish and/or reduce usability. To counteract this they've added drop shadows to all the icons and text which make it much more readable / attractive. Unfortunately this runs like crap on a 3G (and you can test this on a jailbroken device, google "enable homescreen wallpapers 3g"). So Apple were left with 3 choices:

1. Enable it on the 3G, leaving it running like crap.
2. Enable it on the 3G, but remove the shadows making it look crap.
3. Disable it on the 3G completely.

Apple being Apple they'd rather have no feature at all than implement a feature at even 95% of the quality it could be.

You may or may not disagree with that decision of course, but that is definitely why it isn't available on older devices.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2010, 05:13 PM

Ah, cheers. Oh well, that's a minor thing, at most.

Liking folders and finally the universal inbox. Also it definitely feels snappier. But I'll chalk that up to the phone being wiped clean and restored during the upgrade.

Andrew88088
Jun 21, 2010, 05:33 PM

Everything upgraded okay, but now I'm having issues with my gmail account (set up as Exchange). It isn't connecting. I don't know if this is just a server issue right now, but my mail worked fine all day today prior to this.

Cold Warrior
Jun 21, 2010, 05:44 PM

imap gmail working fine for me, and my activesync work email also fine.

upgrade went very smoothly on my 3GS. Can't wait for iPhone 4 arriving to my house this Thursday.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 06:10 PM

Good god, this is the slowest upgrade experience ever. Nearly 4 hours and it still hasn't finished yet; as well as the excruciatingly slow back-up, Apple could warn you that it'll also need to restore your device in full after the update... (3G by the way).

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Good god, this is the slowest upgrade experience ever. Nearly 4 hours and it still hasn't finished yet; as well as the excruciatingly slow back-up, Apple could warn you that it'll also need to restore your device in full after the update... (3G by the way).
Mine took about 2.5 hours total. I thought it would just wipe it and upgrade it, but you are correct; it then does a full restore. I thought I would just get to re-sync later..

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 06:19 PM

3G here, watched it start backing up really stupidly slowly, then went off to watch TV for an hour or so. Came back and the backup progress bar hardly moved. I think I'll set this up overnight and see where its at in the morning. Is it completely automatic once the backup and upgrade process is started or is there a dialogue box to press OK to half way through anything to let it continue?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Yeah, it's 3GS and 4 only, for technical reasons I saw explained on arstechnica. According to a guy named Alex,

In implementing homescreen wallpapers, Apple realised that (as is clear from many Jailbreak themes) custom backgrounds often look rubbish and/or reduce usability. To counteract this they've added drop shadows to all the icons and text which make it much more readable / attractive. Unfortunately this runs like crap on a 3G (and you can test this on a jailbroken device, google "enable homescreen wallpapers 3g"). So Apple were left with 3 choices:

1. Enable it on the 3G, leaving it running like crap.
2. Enable it on the 3G, but remove the shadows making it look crap.
3. Disable it on the 3G completely.

Apple being Apple they'd rather have no feature at all than implement a feature at even 95% of the quality it could be.

You may or may not disagree with that decision of course, but that is definitely why it isn't available on older devices.
Many custom icons have drop shadows, shape changes and other physical differences. I saw no effect on performance with my 3G. Some over the top custom themes will make a phone slower but simply changing icons and wallpaper do not. The first year I had my phone it was stock and the second year it was customized. I couldn't see any differences at all. It's got to be the way they chose to apply the custom wallpapers or some other good reason because the phones can handle it if done a certain way.

Looking like rubbish is definitely a subjective thing and depends on what the user chooses for icons and wallpaper. I kept mine very basic and just did a few tweaks here and there.

I enjoy my iPhone and like many Apple products although I think it's ridiculous that it took this long to just start being able to customize a background wallpaper. Also, depending on what the user chooses they can make it look gaudy and like rubbish Apples way too. It's all in what you choose and how you use it.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 06:24 PM

Does anyone know how to turn on tethering?
I have not seen it on their site of how to turn it on, and it is not in the options in settings.
I know that it needs to be enabled on my account, but I cannot see it anywhere on my account page.
Thanks in advance.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 06:28 PM

Update ends after over 4 hours. iTunes locks up for about 5 mins and now its started backing my phone up again. WTF is going on?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 06:46 PM

Plan B for 3G users - Restore and install, don't upgrade
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/21/ios-4...ith-iphone-3g/

I backed up this weekend before 4.0 was released, so I'm restoring now.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 06:54 PM

OK, finally finished and all seems well. A lot of iTunes error messages in Console.app though. I suspect it didn't like my encrypted back-ups very much or perhaps my phone is dying on me...

ApeInTheShell  (op)
Senior User
Jun 21, 2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
Does anyone know how to turn on tethering?
I have not seen it on their site of how to turn it on, and it is not in the options in settings.
I know that it needs to be enabled on my account, but I cannot see it anywhere on my account page.
Thanks in advance.
You can go to your Settings application on the iPhone. Tap the General Tab and then tap the Network Tab. You should see a Set Up Internet Tethering Tab towards the bottom of your iPhone screen. You can either Call or Go to the Website to enable tethering for your account.

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2010, 07:11 PM

Killed my iPhone. Getting the "Sim Card" error message in iTunes after the update. I will be going to the Apple Store tomorrow and getting my 6th iPhone in 2 years.

Andrew88088
Jun 21, 2010, 07:18 PM

Gmail issue is fixed. I deleted the account and manually entered it again and now it seems to be working fine. I'm pretty impressed with everything so far. Everything seems to be running quite smoothly!

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell View Post
You can go to your Settings application on the iPhone. Tap the General Tab and then tap the Network Tab. You should see a Set Up Internet Tethering Tab towards the bottom of your iPhone screen. You can either Call or Go to the Website to enable tethering for your account.
Thank you. I have been struggling with this all day.
Unfortunately the setting for tethering is not there as it should be.
Also I looked everywhere on my account, and could not find anyway to enable this.
I then called AT&T and the person said that it should be there and there is nothing that they can do to enable it.
That all being said, I have an iPhone 3G S.
I am now going to try a backup, wipe and reinstall.
Funny thing is that I just heard that it is $20 a month to enable this.
I am not going to trash the provider, but I already pay for unlimited data, text and minutes. Now I have to pay another fee to enable something that I am already paying for?
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

Andrew88088
Jun 21, 2010, 08:48 PM

Is anyone else having issues with Mail not threading completely? It's threaded about 6 of 12 emails that should all be together.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew88088 View Post
Is anyone else having issues with Mail not threading completely? It's threaded about 6 of 12 emails that should all be together.
It takes time to thread things. And after it's done, your phone will feel quicker.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 09:25 PM

Optimizing 8,000 photos takes a loooooong time. I'm getting impatient.

Andrew88088
Jun 21, 2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It takes time to thread things. And after it's done, your phone will feel quicker.
It doesn't feel sluggish. It's been like this for hours with no change. Even my most recent few e-mails that should be threaded, aren't.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 09:30 PM

Why do you need 8,000 photos on your mobile?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew88088 View Post
It doesn't feel sluggish. It's been like this for hours with no change. Even my most recent few e-mails that should be threaded, aren't.
Interesting. 3G or 3GS?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 09:36 PM

Does it still drop pictures copied from Safari into the camera folder?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Does it still drop pictures copied from Safari into the camera folder?
Into a "Saved photos" album.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 09:42 PM

Thank you. I have been struggling with this all day.
Unfortunately the setting for tethering is not there as it should be.
Also I looked everywhere on my account, and could not find anyway to enable this.
I then called AT&T and the person said that it should be there and there is nothing that they can do to enable it.
That all being said, I have an iPhone 3G S.
I am now going to try a backup, wipe and reinstall.
Funny thing is that I just heard that it is $20 a month to enable this.
I am not going to trash the provider, but I already pay for unlimited data, text and minutes. Now I have to pay another fee to enable something that I am already paying for?
And the unhappiness continues.
I wiped the phone and put iOS4 on it. I checked and the option was there. Then I restored my backup over iOS4 and the option was gone. I am confused and unhappy. There must be something simple that I am missing.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 09:43 PM

What, do you think AT&T is going to give away tethering for free? The only network that does free tethering at all is Verizon, and that's only for the Pre Plus.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 09:44 PM

The update could have been a little quicker, but overall I'm happy.

It's almost astonishing how well put together iOS is. Everything works perfectly in my view.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 09:57 PM

What, do you think AT&T is going to give away tethering for free? The only network that does free tethering at all is Verizon, and that's only for the Pre Plus.
trust me, I have had AT&T for many many years now, I know they don't do anything for free
I am just confused as to what that charge would be fore since I am already paying for data.
I truly don' think that it is AT&T doing anything other than allowing the data on their network. I think that the tether software ability or such was Apple building it into iOS4...

I am still trying to figure out why the tethering option just disappeared after the restore from backup.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 10:05 PM

Why do you need 8,000 photos on your mobile?
I put them all together to form a lifesize picture of my genitals.

Now it's done optimizing and has started copying them over. Ugh.

The download took 5 minutes. The actual install took about 10.

It's these damn photos. I should have told it to stop right at the start and let it do it's thing while I slept, but now that I've come this far I may as well just wait.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 10:23 PM

trust me, I have had AT&T for many many years now, I know they don't do anything for free
I am just confused as to what that charge would be fore since I am already paying for data.
I truly don' think that it is AT&T doing anything other than allowing the data on their network. I think that the tether software ability or such was Apple building it into iOS4...

I am still trying to figure out why the tethering option just disappeared after the restore from backup.
Probably because it recognized an AT&T sim.

Tethering is a $20 a month option.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I put them all together to form a lifesize picture of my genitals.

Now it's done optimizing and has started copying them over. Ugh.

The download took 5 minutes. The actual install took about 10.

It's these damn photos. I should have told it to stop right at the start and let it do it's thing while I slept, but now that I've come this far I may as well just wait.
Hm, I just put 2.7k on mine in a little under 2 minutes, optimization and all. Your's must be... too...big... but not if they can fit on a 3.5" screen. Okay, I'm done.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 10:27 PM

Probably because it recognized an AT&T sim.

Tethering is a $20 a month option.
Ok, then I must ask you, bud to bud, do you know where that option is on their page?
They did not know about it and I could not find it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules