Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 7600 startup problems

7600 startup problems
bosolevu
Jun 14, 2002, 08:06 PM

When starting up my 7600, right after the chime nothing happens. The monitor doesn't even come on. The hard drive starts up on does nothing also. I even tried changing the hard drives but it doesn't do anything. It's been running OS9 just fine until now. Thanks.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2002, 08:16 PM

Hi bosolevu,
You might try changing the battery on your motherboard... also, when booting up, try zapping your pram (hold down <apple>+<option>+<p>+<r&gt ; and listen for 3 chimes).
Under what circumstances did this start happening? Any power surges, new software installed, etc? Or did it just one day happen? If it jsut one day started happening, I would guess it is the battery on the motherboard, although it could be other things, as well....
good luck, and let us know what happens,
dave

bosolevu  (op)
Jun 14, 2002, 10:46 PM

It actually just happened one day when I turned it on. I will try zapping the PRAM and changing the battery for now and see if that doesn't fix it. Thanks.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2002, 11:00 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bosolevu:
<strong>It actually just happened one day when I turned it on. I will try zapping the PRAM and changing the battery for now and see if that doesn't fix it. Thanks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Good luck!
If it is the battery, it is a cheap fix (less than $10).... if it is just a matter of the pram, it's cheaper... free
Crossing my fingers for you!
let us know if either of these does it for you...
dave

<small>[ 06-14-2002, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: ddiokno ]</small>

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2002, 10:14 AM

This also happened to my 7600 a while back, after not having used it for a while. Basically, it would power up but not do anything. I took all the components out, pressed the CUDA button and put back just the essentials for startup. After this it worked so I added everything else back, and it was fine.

bosolevu  (op)
Jun 17, 2002, 01:08 AM

where is the CUDA button located? did you also take out the RAM?

Vanquish
Jun 17, 2002, 06:17 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> where is the CUDA button located? did you also take out the RAM?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I think he is talking about a little-red button on the motherboard called the reset-button (if differs in position with every type of motherboard, I don't really know the 7600's motherboard.). I also think this is a good idea. Taking out the RAM won't fix anything IMO, but you can always try. Maybe it's power supply fault. Do you hear the computer "thinking" (do you hear the writing/reading to the Hard drive) ?

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2002, 10:58 AM

I took out the L2 cache card and all but 32mb ram. Resetting the motherboard was probably the important factor in this. I think the CUDA button is located next to the last PCI slot, its a little grey button, there's only one like it on the board. Hold it down for ten seconds.

EDIT: the CUDA button on the 7600 logic board is next to the first PCI slot, and is hidden underneath the CPU Daughtercard.

<small>[ 06-19-2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: firefly ]</small>

N6APV
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2002, 06:20 PM

Hi,

Just a thought. Please take a look at my topic Rev. A iMacPowerr Supply problem on the in the iMac formum. I hope the simpler fixes work, but if not this is another possibility.

Regards,

Dan

[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules