Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going To College After All These Years

Going To College After All These Years
Ham Sandwich
Feb 7, 2005, 07:49 PM

I've come to a conclusion that at age 32, and only with a HS diploma, I need and want to go to college. And, I'm not talking about taking one class while working, I am talking about quitting my job and going full-time, living in the dorm, etc.

To those of you that say it sounds like I'm having a mid-life crisis, well, you're probably right. And to those of you who are saying to keep my job and go to a local school part-time - no, I don't have that kind of time on my hands.

What I don't have a clear understanding of is financial aid. Those recently graduated from high school fill out some forms, the goverment and others come back with how much they will pay and then you go from there. Do these organizations give money to us old folks to go to college? I do expect I'll have to work part-time retail while I'm going to school but I don't have parents that would make up the difference I didn't get in aid (as the admissions section of school web sites so flipantly mention; "your parents make up what you don't get in funding". Hello? That's why I couldn't go in the first place!).

Also, I took my SAT (or one of the other ones, I can't remember) 13 years ago. Are those scores still valid or will I be forced to do another one (please, god, no!) or do they just waive it because of my age?

I guess that I should really be asking these questions of a school counselor or something but figured I'd give this board a shot.

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 08:10 PM

1 thing. Don't be that lame older person who decides to befriend every professor and is overwhelmingly vocal in class. Just sit there, and learn like everyone else, no one cares about your job, experiences, kids, etc. Other than that just focus and try and get the hell out in 4 years so you don't end up spending more time there than you have to.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 08:13 PM

That's me in 11 years. Ugh...

historylme
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 08:27 PM

First off, good for you. But if you can, consider staying in your currant job. Look into community colleges that have funneling programs with larger universities. e.g. teaching. You take the general ed courses at the community college (and perhaps classes during the weekend) and then you do your upper division at the four year school. Some programs can even be shorter than normal school, like three. And they tend to me more understanding (admins and profs) to your situation.

The plusses:
Save a lot more money.
No entrance exams (4 year schools demand this)
More dedicated students

Living in the dorms is an experience, that most people get done with after the first year. At your age, you might get sick of it by the first week. If your going for a degree, skip living in the dorms. If you want to recapture a lost youth experience, go for it, depending on your looks, you might get a lot of play from the 18 year olds you buy liquor to.

If you're going directly for a 4 year school, you have to retake the SAT and the SAT II (subjects) [at least in California] but if you can take the ACT (I might be wrong on the letters). I did horrible in the SAT but did great in ACT.

Your financial assistant is based on need and not on age, unless you're over 65. The Fed will give you grants and loans based on your high school grades and financial needs. Having said that, go to a state school (if going for a big school), they tend to be cheaper and the BA, BS is all the same to employers un less you went to MIT or Harvard and few others. DON'T BE AFRAID TO TAKE OUT LOANS. If the grants are not there, take the loan, they wont hurt your credit or applications when purchasing a home.

In the end, just know that the education you put into it is what you come out with. The degree wont guarantee anything, it will only give you access to more doors, the rest lies on your shoulders. If you're going because of career issues, find the quickest means possible to get an accredited BA/BS. If you're going for self growth, do the school part time and save yourself the hassle of being a poor student. If for the experience and to reclaim a part of your youth, don't expect too much.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 08:29 PM

You should check out this website: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
Also this one: http://www.finaid.org/
Oh, one more thing: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...nding/old.html

I don't think you will have to take the SATs again, but I think the colleges you apply to will want to see your old SAT scores. They're probably still valid. I'm just guessing though.
( Last edited by Albert Pujols; Feb 7, 2005 at 08:36 PM. )

york28
Senior User
Feb 7, 2005, 08:30 PM

Avoid the dorm if you can. Especially being older, it's not worth it.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2005, 08:33 PM

Don't do the dorms.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

historylme
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 08:37 PM

The best thing I learned in college was to time manage.
in conjuction with "knowing what is need to get the good grade" I was able to get my BA in 3 years (Summer interships with full credits, extra classes and a study abroad semester program).

It can be done, but just know exactly what it is do it. Once you know the system, you can find shortcuts to speed things up.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 09:10 PM

Congrats on your decision. I'm 24 with an Associates Degree (aka HS Diploma extended) and I've been looking to go back also but I can't afford to lose my job so I am actually looking into online courses for a bachelors degree.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2005, 09:10 PM

I just spent three years getting a two year degree at the age of 41. Do it now, and do it as quick as you can. But going part time for me was good, because unlike most college age kids I had a "real" life beyond work and school. By that I mean that I had real responsibilities with family, home, and relationships that kids don't have, (for the most part.) Remember, as an adult student you may not have time for 40 credit hours, if you live on campus or not... You don't want to get in over your head. My advice is to take as few classes as you can while still being full time, at least for the first semester. Also, don't take all the easy classes first. Save them for later when your sick to death of studying.

Good luck
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

Ham Sandwich
Feb 7, 2005, 09:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the great and quick replies!

I noticed a couple of comments about dorm living. I should of mentioned that the school I would like to attend, all the rooms are private and the school isn't "typical" - so I don't think I'd have a problem. Besides, when I go on trips and such, I always stay in hostels so the "communal living" thing is fine with me.

Community colleges aren't an option as the degree program at the school isn't based on the usual college courses so nothing is transferable (at least, I don't think). Besides, my job has me working 60+ hours and I'm on 24/7 call in (which happens way too frequently). I'm sure I'd burn myself out in quite a hurry.

For those even a little bit curious, the school in mind is Maharishi University of Management to study Environmental Science.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 09:21 PM

Good luck. I kind of liked dorm life... especially after I got a single. Hang out when you want, but close and lock your door when you don't. There are minuses (fire alarms, drunken fools, throw up any- and everywhere), but that's all part of college life.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 09:25 PM

Whatever your reasons are... bottom line- good for you!

My 2 cents...

Don't live in the dorm. Most schools have non-traditional student housing that you get into if you do it fast enough.

Where are you thinking of going?

Financial aid- Have you looked at: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

The SAT scores may be too old- besides- maybe you could do better on them now.

Good luck- have fun!

Atriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by screamingFit:
Maharishi University of Management to study Environmental Science.
Very interesting choice of school. Im sure it'll be different.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 10:13 PM

For those even a little bit curious, the school in mind is Maharishi University of Management to study Environmental Science. [/B]
Quite interesting. Just go for it. Figure the rest out later. Looks like it could change your life.

brucejy
Feb 7, 2005, 10:27 PM

I'll post a little more later, because I want to encourage you. I did this, and I'm now a physician. I tried college once, but got terrible grades, etc, and went into the military. When I decided to go back, I first enrolled in a community college that funneled into the state university system. I was a number of years older. My grades were superb. You will likely find that your grades will be far better than you ever expected. Do not quit.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2005, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by brucejy:
I'll post a little more later, because I want to encourage you. I did this, and I'm now a physician. I tried college once, but got terrible grades, etc, and went into the military. When I decided to go back, I first enrolled in a community college that funneled into the state university system. I was a number of years older. My grades were superb. You will likely find that your grades will be far better than you ever expected. Do not quit.
Just curious, how old were you when you applied to med school? Did you get in here in the states, or did you end up at a Caribbean school? One of our docs at work applied to med school when she was 35, and even though she had graduated from PA school with a 3.9 average, she couldn't get in anywhere. One of the admissions people told her she was wasting her time, that medical schools weren't interested in non-trad students and suggested she go to school in the Caribbean, which she did at St. George's in Grenada. I'm not bagging on the Caribbean schools, the education must have been good enough, as she's now our medical director.

screamingFit, I too would caution you about moving into the dorms. Unless that school offers specific housing for non-traditional students, you're probably going to hate it. Those kids will drive you insane, even if you have a private room. Living on campus is very convenient, but it can also be a pain right in the ass.

I will say good for you for going for it. And I think you're making the right choice to go full time. I would recommend that to anyone going back if they can swing it. It's not easy if you have a family, but if you don't, and you can live frugally for a few years, get it over and done with.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Feb 9, 2005 at 07:32 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 11:13 PM

education changes people's lives IMO

you go homey!

soak it all in. i wish i went to college with what i know now.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 11:32 PM

For those even a little bit curious, the school in mind is Maharishi University of Management to study Environmental Science.
OMG, That school is in my home town! I was born in fairfield Iowa, I have parents that went to that school. This is a very different school, and to boot fairfield is a cheap place to live. Feel free to ask me any specific questions, PM me.

I have not been back to that place in a long time, but I want to re-visit it.

but seriously, any questions you have specifically I could probably answer for you, well at least my parents can...

EDIT:: Oh, and dorm life will be fine for you, I guarantee it. but keep in mind there are many cheap houses in town...

Zach

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2005, 07:40 AM

Another non-traditional student here to encourage you to go back. I started college when I was 28. I started at a community college, got my associate's degree, transferred and got my bachelor's degree. Now I am in my final semester of law school.

College when you are older is a somewhat different experience than it is for a traditional age student, and this can work to your advantage. A big part of going to college for an 18 year old is just the experience of leaving home and being an adult. You've already gone throught that and consequently, you will be able to concentrate on your educational goals. Almost every non-traditional age student I know has ended up graduating near the top of their classes. That's not intelligence, just maturity and motivation. You are in college because you want to be there -- not just because it is what is expected of you.

Good luck and enjoy the experience (but I still wouldn't live in the dorms for love or money).

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2005, 08:22 AM

All the very best wishes!
-\
-/

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2005, 08:31 AM

Let me warn you ahead of time: college is NOT what it's cut out to be. I hate every day of it even though I'm doing well, and cannot wait to leave. I wish you the best!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2005, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Let me warn you ahead of time: college is NOT what it's cut out to be. I hate every day of it even though I'm doing well, and cannot wait to leave. I wish you the best!
It's what you make of it, IMO.

In response to everyone who warned against the dorms - my university has separate dorms for freshers, finalists, postgrads etc. In my first year I was actually in one of the postgrad dorms ('cos they were short of space). There were about 100 other undergrads there too, but they sorted them based on their application form and references to get the ones who could fit in with the lifestyle of the postgrads best.

So it was dead quiet, we had lovely facilities (8 of us per flat, and we each had a huge room and an en-suite bathroom), and it was a little way off campus so we couldn't hear the noise from the Union late at night. Your uni's halls look like they're a similar style - so I say go for it.

If you ask to be put in one of the groups that isn't freshers, you'll then not have to put up with the first-time-away-from-home 18-year-olds.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2005, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Amorya:
It's what you make of it, IMO.
I beg to differ. The reason kids hail college as "the best years of their life" is b/c they go there, barely attend stuff and complete assignments and scoot by with Cs and Ds while partying their head off for 4+ years. You're right, that's fun. But for people trying to actually excel and get through a tough major in 4 years, it's freaking slave labor. There is no liesure time, there's no parties everynight.

What you make of it is more like how well do you want to do.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2005, 10:03 AM

umm. am i missing something?

and i too went to school after a spell working. for me it was only about three years after high school. but even then it was noticeable the maturity difference between me and my classmates.

if you're going to do it do it well. it is really easy to be sucked in to the lazy party lifestyle that some students carry. take a reminder of something you hated about your career before you went to school and use that to fuel you as you grind through the ********.

historylme
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2005, 03:35 PM

Also, know your professors. Talk to them during office hours and know the their guidlines to get the best grade. If possible, after the class, have them write a letter of recomendation (if they can give you a great letter of rec. the better).

This might come in handy when later down the line, you need letter's of recomendation and if they have forgotten about you, just show them their letter, and have them change the date in a new one.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2005, 06:21 PM

Just know you won't make close friends with the students on the student body. As for dorm... I dono... I still wouldn't do it... I'm sick of it after just two years... though part of that is just because of the people I'm IN dorm with.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 8, 2005, 06:22 PM

Thanks everyone for your helpful and enjoyable replies!

Phantomdragonz, I might just be bugging you for some insider info. Thanks for the offer!

I am awaiting a PIN number now so I can fill out my FAFSA form. I have a feeling that I won't get much, if anything because I make too much money right now. What you can't get through to them in a form is that yes, I have money now but I will be a poor college student in the future!

deej5871
Senior User
Feb 8, 2005, 06:56 PM

I am awaiting a PIN number now so I can fill out my FAFSA form. I have a feeling that I won't get much, if anything because I make too much money right now. What you can't get through to them in a form is that yes, I have money now but I will be a poor college student in the future!
Kinda off topic but my family has a similar problem. We live on what used to be a farm (well, it still is but we don't really use our barns and stuff), and my family owns a lot of farm land, which we rent out to farmers in the area because we aren't able to farm it ourselves. The problem is that the forms see that we own all this land (and that we use it to farm (or at least I think they know this, but I haven't filled out the forms myself yet)) and think that we have money because of it, when really we don't. This is a real problem for us since my brother is in college now, my sister will be going soon, and I will be going in about 2 years.

historylme
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2005, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by deej5871:
Kinda off topic but my family has a similar problem. We live on what used to be a farm (well, it still is but we don't really use our barns and stuff), and my family owns a lot of farm land, which we rent out to farmers in the area because we aren't able to farm it ourselves. The problem is that the forms see that we own all this land (and that we use it to farm (or at least I think they know this, but I haven't filled out the forms myself yet)) and think that we have money because of it, when really we don't. This is a real problem for us since my brother is in college now, my sister will be going soon, and I will be going in about 2 years.
Move out of the house. Support yourself (or at least 60%)for the year prior to you applying to schools,then, during tax season do your own taxes and don't have the parents claim you as a dependent, don't opt for parent student loans and basically state you are independent of your parents. Your parents will pay more in taxes, but at least in the long run, they will pay less your school bills and you will get a lot more federal aid.

You might want to check on on the Tax guidlines for Fed.

OpenStep
Senior User
Feb 9, 2005, 03:31 AM

that's why i quit before they kicked me out

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2005, 04:03 AM

If you want to avoid SATs, you can get a 2-year degree at a community college and transfer to a 4-year University.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2005, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
If you want to avoid SATs, you can get a 2-year degree at a community college and transfer to a 4-year University.
Not necessarily true. It is all down to the policy of the 4 year college. For example, the University of Virginia requires SATs of everyone, transfer student or not, non-traditional or not. It was one of the reasons I didn't apply to UVA.

On the other hand, Georgetown, George Washington, and American each had a policy that said if you had been out of high school more than (AFAIR) seven years, you didn't have to supply SATs. It didn't turn on whether you were a transfer student.

So check with the admissions office.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 07:57 AM

I beg to differ. The reason kids hail college as "the best years of their life" is b/c they go there, barely attend stuff and complete assignments and scoot by with Cs and Ds while partying their head off for 4+ years. You're right, that's fun. But for people trying to actually excel and get through a tough major in 4 years, it's freaking slave labor. There is no liesure time, there's no parties everynight.

Yeah, it's hard work... but I'm on track for a first at the moment (essay marks this year 75%, 80% and 85%) and I'm managing to juggle leisure time and work fairly successfully. I've got the evenings set aside for non-work stuff, so I spend the afternoons doing assignments and things (and mornings if I'm desperate or deadlines are looming!).

I haven't noticed a culture of not doing well... maybe I hang around with the wrong (right?) people. Most of my friends are from societies or from the Chaplaincy, whereas I imagine the people who can't be bothered to work also can't be bothered to put effort into societies.

Last year I hadn't found my feet, and I averaged a high 2:2 for most of the year. But now I'm loving the chance to really study an issue in depth to write about it, so I'd say I work quite hard. I'm also on seven societies though, and about to stand for exec positions on two of them at the next AGMs...

Anyhow, YMMV. But it is possible to enjoy yourself and also work hard

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2005, 10:15 AM

This may be true for you, but it's certainly untrue in general. I managed to get through a tough major (chemical engineering) while having a good time. No, I wasn't partying every night like the other people -- we used to say they were majoring in college -- but I went to parties, hung out, and experienced quite a lot.

If you're truly unhappy, you're probably working too hard. It's great to excel, but is the difference between a 4.0 and a 3.6 worth your sanity? I doubt it. Study, but live a little.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2005, 10:39 AM

Thanks everyone for the great and quick replies!

I noticed a couple of comments about dorm living. I should of mentioned that the school I would like to attend, all the rooms are private and the school isn't "typical" - so I don't think I'd have a problem. Besides, when I go on trips and such, I always stay in hostels so the "communal living" thing is fine with me.

Community colleges aren't an option as the degree program at the school isn't based on the usual college courses so nothing is transferable (at least, I don't think). Besides, my job has me working 60+ hours and I'm on 24/7 call in (which happens way too frequently). I'm sure I'd burn myself out in quite a hurry.

WOW I used to live in Fairfield Iowa. There is NOTHING in that town. Stuff closes at like 5. That university is the biggest thing in that town. Are you into TM?

I still know several people there. Also I used to work for the ISP in that town as the "Mac Guy". One thing good about that town is that their are alot of artists so there are a lot of Mac users. You might be able to get into doing some home consulting or something. The ISP in that town is LISCO. Let me know if you want to know more about the town. I lived there for for 2 years.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2005, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by phantomdragonz:
OMG, That school is in my home town! I was born in fairfield Iowa, I have parents that went to that school. This is a very different school, and to boot fairfield is a cheap place to live. Feel free to ask me any specific questions, PM me.

I have not been back to that place in a long time, but I want to re-visit it.

but seriously, any questions you have specifically I could probably answer for you, well at least my parents can...

EDIT:: Oh, and dorm life will be fine for you, I guarantee it. but keep in mind there are many cheap houses in town...

Zach
Small world. I actually lived there for 2 years. It is cheap to live there for sure. Also for Auto insurance Iowa is number 50 in the country.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by deej5871:
We are in a similar situation. The financial aid situation is such a load of crap. It fails to consider situations like these, and with our other expenses financial aid would definately help. My dad had to take out a loan for my sister while I simply opted to go the cheaper route and do most of my general ed crap at a CC. It would almost be more beneficial not to work as hard and make as much.

I have a friend who qualifies for financial aid, fee waivers, and some discounts on things I have to pay in full for. He goes to a CC and gets a $1600 check every term. $1600 is not a lot, but when he uses it to buy used cars (now he has 2) and big screen tvs it's upsetting. Would be nice if I had extra money just laying around.

Pretty much, the worse your situation, the less you have to worry about paying for college even if your grades aren't great.
Genius. You know who.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2005, 12:46 PM

1. Reconsider doing the 18-year old "going to college" routine such as living in the dorm. It's not that much fun. Seriously, DON'T DO IT.

2. Consider going to a college in your area as others mentioned.

3. Yes, you will need to retake the SAT (and you have to take the new one that includes essay writing and has a score of up to 2400) unless you have two years of college under your belt (or thereabout - depends on the college) already to show your grades.

CONGRATULATIONS.

The best students are the ones who have a desire to learn. Don't go to college because you only want a piece of sheepskin on the wall. Go to college because you want to better your mind and heart.

Good luck!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2005, 01:03 PM

Kudos to you on deciding to return to college. A very wise decision, it will certainly be an investment that will have a good pay off. Will look forward to hear how it all works out, please keep us posted.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2005, 01:15 PM

WDLove, you're the Mr. Rogers of MacNN.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
...and even though she had graduated from PA school with a 3.9 average, she couldn't get in anywhere. One of the admissions people told her she was wasting her time, that medical schools weren't interested in non-trad students and suggested she go to school in the Caribbean, which she did at St. George's in Grenada.
Wow really? Did she have a 4 year degree too; besides her masters in PA? Because any four year degree should be considered "traditional". I was thinking of doing this. I can't see why they wouldn't accept her. Maybe med school is just too competitive these days, but I know someone who went to a 4 year school, got a degree in business and then got into med school. It tooke her 5 years though after she graduated from university to get into med school. In that time she had to gain experience in the medical field which was her ticket in.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 05:19 PM

EVERYBODY!!!! this is not the typical college.... HE WILL BE FINE IN THE DORMS!!!!

I would imagine people would yell at you if you played music too loud in the dorms... relax people.

I have seen the dorms, I have been in them, my parents went to the college... I told them about this thread and they laughed at you, the dorms are not really what you think of dorms... they have space and I would imagine little to ZERO punk kids... the college is about meditation, people will probably be meditating most of the time, not partying.

and fairfield is a tiny town... the college is like at least 50% of the town, it is the reason the town exists...

so quiet down, I can assure him that dorm life will be different for sure, but it will aslo be cheap, and easy to live in. and a message to the poster, if you are into meditation, and "TM" then you will love this place. If you aren't it might get to you...

and if you honestly have any questions whatso ever, shoot me a PM and I will give you my e-mail... at the very least between me and typhoon we can reccomend places to eat and see... chitaqua park would be one of them... I miss the dense woods, but the mountains here in colorado are also nice .

dont listen to the people in this thread, they have no idea what they are talking about.

Zach

P.S. afterall, I was born in that damn tiny town, I know a lot about it.

ringo
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2005, 07:26 PM

Just chiming in since I was an adult student a few years ago...

1. As history1me pointed out, community college for a year or two and then a well planned transfer is a great way to go. You'll save a ton of money and you'll be getting the same utility out of cheap general ed classes that you will be out of expensive general ed classes (None at all, but I digress). Figure out where you want to transfer to in advance and only take classes that you know you will be credited for when you move on.

2. Don't live in a dorm. Dorms suck. The rules in dorms were designed to keep hyper 17 year olds from hurting themselves or others. As an adult, you're going to be frustrated by the rules. You're also going to be shunned by the much younger people around you unless they want you to buy beer for them. If you get caught making mischief, you'll be treated much differently than everyone around you because the assumption will be that you know better. Your dating life will suffer, because only someone who lives in an equally crappy dorm will want to go back to yours and your odds of seducing a freshman or finding another adult in a dorm are slim. It just doesn't seem worth it unless you're a sexual predator...and then you shouldn't be moving into a dorm for entirely different reasons.

3. When given the choice of a day class or a night class, take the night class. These have a higher population of other adults than day classes do. The teachers tend to be more understanding of real-life crap that adults need to take care of sometime, where as a daytime prof. will sometimes be an ass about something just to prove to the world that they can.

4. Don't quit your job if at all possible. Try to see if you can still provide your services on a part-time basis or through some other arrangement. Think of this as insurance, just in case you mid-life crisis ends early and you decide not to spend the next four years pretending that you're 19.

Good luck.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 9, 2005, 11:49 PM

Just had to pop back into my thread to see if the walls needed a fresh coat of paint.

Phantomdragonz is right. I don't think people caught the name of the school or visited their website. I will be fine in the dorms. I am not looking to recapture youth by staying in them nor looking to "hook up" with anyone. These are not normal dorms by typical University standards. I will appreciate the peace and solitude I will be afforded in them and the town. Plus, it will help keep my costs down while I focus my energies on the tasks at hand. The closest I can think of as being a similar school would be a seminary. Do people worry about parties there?

Going to a community college or elsewhere for awhile is not an option. The classes aren't even close to being the same for the most part.

Working at the same time, especially for the first year is not feasible. As much as it will take to get used to, after working full time since I was 16, there isn't enough time for a job. I only expect 5 hours a week to be free and that most likely will be filled with meditation. Or in their Mac lab

Forum Links
Forum Rules