Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Connecting PB to internet overseas

Connecting PB to internet overseas
iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2007, 01:15 AM

Hi all
I am going to the Philippines on Wednesday and would like to bring my Powerbook with me. I am staying in the province (rural) area and am not sure if the phone line is even working at the house... That said, I am hoping to go to an internet cafe and hopefully take advantage of WiFi. However, if that isn't an option, I need to know how I can connect to the internet via modem/phone line (if it is indeed working). Help please!!

Thank you so much!
M
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2007, 11:41 AM

To connect via a fixed phone line you need to have a modem (built in?), a phone number you dial to, and a username and password. for it to make any sence the phone number would have to be local.

To connect with a mobile phone you need a local provider, and they will give you the needed info (mainly what code to put into the phone number field).

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2007, 01:26 PM

I do have a built-in modem but have no idea how to find a local number in the Philippines.
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2007, 05:09 PM

Ask a local ISP? If you are lucky someone from the Philippines will bump into this thread and give an opinion on the countries ISP options.

Forum Links
Forum Rules