Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB HDTV Tuners

USB HDTV Tuners
f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2007, 01:38 PM

This thread is for the discussion of compact, portable USB HDTV tuners.

The following work with OS X:

eyetv hybrid, Elgato Systems
$125.76

WinTV-HVR-950, Hauppage
$77.50

PCTV HD Pro Stick, Avid
$94.49

--------------------

The following device is supposed to be based on the same hardware as the devices above and should theoretically work with the EyeTV software.

XtremeTV HDTV100, Diamond
$79.99

--------------------

The following devices should work with Windows under Bootcamp:

TV Wonder™ 600 – Hi-Speed USB, ATI

HDTV USB, AItech International
$99.88

T14A, Artec
$59.00 (was recently as low as $39!)

FD-USB728, MMITEK
$79.90
( Last edited by f1000; Jul 16, 2007 at 06:08 PM. )

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 05:21 PM

Without having read all those, are there any tuners that support both analog cable and OTA HDTV without manually switching inputs?

Right now I have an EyeTV hybrid, and that is my one complaint, that I have to remember to hit my cable switch between SD and HD shows.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Without having read all those, are there any tuners that support both analog cable and OTA HDTV without manually switching inputs?

Right now I have an EyeTV hybrid, and that is my one complaint, that I have to remember to hit my cable switch between SD and HD shows.
While I don't have any personal experience with it, the HDHomeRun is a dual HDTV tuner that allows you to hook up separate inputs to each of its tuners. Unlike the portable USB dongles listed above, the HDHomeRun is a driverless network (Ethernet) device that can be accessed by any Mac/PC on the network. Some users report having gotten it to work with VLC on the Mac.
( Last edited by f1000; Feb 17, 2007 at 02:05 AM. )

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2007, 05:41 PM

I don't want to derail this thread any further, but have you tried using a splitter/combiner on your two inputs? As long as the frequencies don't overlap, a combiner may work. You can get them everywhere, including Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2007, 10:24 PM

I tried a splitter. Is there a difference between "splitter/combiner" and plain old "splitter?"

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 12:04 AM

I tried a splitter. Is there a difference between "splitter/combiner" and plain old "splitter?"
I don't know, but my guess is that the answer is no. In fact, I'm fairly sure that I've used splitters as combiners before that weren't labeled for use as the latter.

krove
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 12:35 AM

If this works for someone, please post your experience here. I'm interested in combining analog cable + HDTV OTA sources with my EyeTV!

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 09:59 AM

I just took a look at cable TV and UHF/VHF frequencies on Wiki and found them to significantly overlap. That doesn't look too good in terms of combining their signals together.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 11:33 AM

There is also the Slingbox that works on both PC and Mac. In the US, they have a HD unit. It's not really a TV tuner but more something that runs a TV signal over a network to computers.

Sling Media

It's probably more expensive than anything here as well.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I just took a look at cable TV and UHF/VHF frequencies on Wiki and found them to significantly overlap. That doesn't look too good in terms of combining their signals together.

Thanks for checking

Anyone have any ideas for switches that are automated and/or computer-controlled?

SVass
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 05:18 PM

TVMini HD - Key Features

This gadget may work for cable systems-I dunno about over the air.
sam

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2007, 08:25 PM

But then you have to pay your cable provider for HDTV that is otherwise free

SVass
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 08:53 PM

I notice that you live in "Seattle" and I live in Kent. There are hills around here and cable allows me to get tv without a 100 foot antenna. sam

Tegeril
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 10:42 PM

The HVR-950 and the EyeTV device are so similar that they are... identical. Hauppauge makes both. HVR-950 works flawlessly in the EyeTV software (tested with 2.3.2).

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 02:12 AM

Thanks Tegeril. If the Hauppauge works with the EyeTV software, then I wonder if the Pinnacle (Avid) or Diamond will too.

EDIT: I guess the answer for the Pinnacle is yes! MacNN | Pinnacle debuts three USB TV tuner devices
( Last edited by f1000; Mar 6, 2007 at 01:13 PM. )

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 11:12 PM

System Profiler reads my EyeTV Hybrid as a HVR-980. I suppose the price premium includes the software, which sells for like $90 by itself...

Edit: oops, it reads "WinTV HVR-980"
( Last edited by Uncle Skeleton; Mar 6, 2007 at 12:55 AM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2007, 02:46 PM

But then you have to pay your cable provider for HDTV that is otherwise free
Actually they're not allowed to encrypt channels that are broadcast OTA free. So if you have a QAM tuner you can pick up the HD channels on your cable without a box or paying a higher fee.

Speaking of QAM tuners, does anyone have the Miglia TVMini HD or the TVMini HD+? I'm pretty interested in the HD+ since it does analog cable as well as digital. It was supposed to ship last month but I haven't seen any reviews about it anywhere...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Actually they're not allowed to encrypt channels that are broadcast OTA free. So if you have a QAM tuner you can pick up the HD channels on your cable without a box or paying a higher fee.
That's interesting, what about sending those channels at all? I knew they weren't encrypted because I used to download them from comcast's firewire cable box, but I guess I assumed my $5 for the channels made them send the signal to me when they otherwise wouldn't have.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2007, 08:09 PM

Nope, the $5 gets you the premium HD channels (like Discovery HD Theater, INHD, etc). All the networks are sent in the clear without subscribing to that package.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2007, 02:41 AM

All of those devices are ATSC and NTSC. That's OTA HD and analog.

You need an ATSC / ClearQAM / NTSC tuner.

Svass and jokell got it right. For cable, that HD+ is the one, but it hasn't shipped yet.

Unfortunately, it too has one coax and the breakout cable, so watching NTSC cable and OTA without switching cables doesn't happen unless you use the RCA/Svid for NTSC cable from a set top box and select channels with the cable box remote. Toggle inputs with the remote for switching from OTA to analog. This is a really clunky solution, and you could do that with any of the above hybrid tuners.

SVass
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2007, 04:27 PM

vmarks is partially correct; but, in the Seattle area, virtually all cable channels are carried in QAM 256 format. The analog channels are currently duplicated as digital in preparation for a complete switchover in 2009(?). Thus the current unit may work for all clear channels including those identified as "analog". The AVS forum discusses this in their Seattle subforum and that is where I heard about the gadget.

The only time I have to switch cables is when my digital signal failed and only the analogs were on the line. The stupid box has MS & Motorola software that will not pass analog even if the digital signal is not available. sam

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by SVass View Post
vmarks is partially correct; but, in the Seattle area, virtually all cable channels are carried in QAM 256 format. The analog channels are currently duplicated as digital in preparation for a complete switchover in 2009(?). Thus the current unit may work for all clear channels including those identified as "analog". The AVS forum discusses this in their Seattle subforum and that is where I heard about the gadget.
If it's QAM256, it's digital. If it's a digital version of an analog signal, it's digital 480p.

Still, most cable providers are putting out 02-125 as NTSC analog and duplicating the analog locals as digital or HD in the higher numbers.

The summary is, digital, HD, analog, and determining which term means what to which person and service provider is a bit of a mess.
The only time I have to switch cables is when my digital signal failed and only the analogs were on the line. The stupid box has MS & Motorola software that will not pass analog even if the digital signal is not available. sam
Most boxes only pass analog out the coax, in the form of antenna chan 3 or 4. The digital and HD outs of the box tend to be component or hdmi.

If you have a box that does differently, pm me about it, I want to know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules