Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > RE: ADC/DVI to VGA adapter

RE: ADC/DVI to VGA adapter
wlonh
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2000, 10:56 AM

ADC/DVI to VGA adapter coming From the Apple Studio Displays Web page you can download a PDF file called Displays FAQ (thanks, Casey Common). It includes the following Q&A:

"Q. How do I connect an Apple Cinema Display or Apple Studio Display with a DVI connector to the new Power Mac G4 Cube or Power Mac G4? A. You will need an adapter to connect an older Apple Cinema Display or Apple Studio Display with a DVI connector to the new Power Mac G4 or Power Mac G4 Cube. Apple plans to offer this adapter through the Apple Store." This adapter is not yet available."

the above was taken from MacFixit, today... and Casey Common is our own 'CaseCom' here on the fora... cool!

MacOS761
Senior User
Aug 8, 2000, 03:55 PM

Yay!!!! It's hard to be everwhelmingly happy now, but boy will I be glad a few years down the road! We'd all heard this rumor, but I'm glad Apple has confirmed it. Just in case I don't beat my 15"'er to death at college, it'll work with a new G* after graduation (assuming ADC doesn't go out of style)!

PS - I can just imagine a "new and improved" connector coming out in three years, so I'll need two huge adapters sticking out the back. Ah, progress.

Oh, does anyone know if the adapter will include the USB? Or will the monitor's USB still connect thru the main ports on the back?
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2000, 04:54 PM

Wouldn't it make more sense to make a DVI to ADC adaptor than a VGA to ADC adaptor? Going from DVI (digital) to VGA (analog) is going to seriously degrade picture quality.

Wouldn't it cost less to make a DVI to ADC adaptor anyway? Isn't ADC essentially DVI, USB, and power in a single connector?

MacOS761
Senior User
Aug 8, 2000, 04:58 PM

Er, I thought we were talking about a DVI/ADC Did I suggest otherwise? That's what I'd be expecting, too.

[edit here]
Oh, wait.. it says that in Lon's original post. Were you guessing, was that what you meant... WHAT'S THE DEAL HERE?

[edit #2]
Okay, I won't be lazy.. here's what the FAQ says:

Q. How do I connect an Apple Cinema Display or Apple Studio Display with a DVI connector to the new Power Mac G4 Cube or Power Mac G4?

A. You will need an adapter to connect an older Apple Cinema Display or Apple Studio Display with a DVI connector to the new Power Mac G4 or Power Mac G4 Cube. Apple plans to offer this adapter through the Apple Store. Check www.apple.com/store for availability.

No mention of ADC or VGA. Hmmm.. I think it'll be ADC. I sure hope so.

[edit #3]
Wow, that's amazing. I managed to hit Lon's major pet peeve twice in a row, not on purpose. Anyway, the FAQ is not specific. (sorry.. don't hurt me )
[This message has been edited by MacOS761 (edited 08-08-2000).]

<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Is this name registered?!
Aug 8, 2000, 10:47 PM

It would be trivial to make an adapter for either:
ADC-&gt; VGA
ADC-&gt; DVI

(i.e. you have ADC on the computer but VGA/DVI on the monitor)

All you need is to match up the correct pins. ADC has all the pins from both VGA/DVI -- they're just mixed up.

How about an adapter to go the other way?

Much more difficult since you need to supply 28 V 4 Amp DC power to the monitor.

Let's say you want a nice new Apple monitor to go with that PowerBook for instance....

Not the smartest move Apple. Really not that well thought out.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2000, 12:28 AM

Gosh, it's nice to be recognized...

OK, I also have been puzzled about whether the adapter for DVI monitors will go through ADC or VGA. Here's the closest thing to solid info I can find... it's from an Apple Support post on their Power Mac forum a few days back.

As noted in the Displays FAQ a DVI adapter for the new displays will be available from the Apple Store. I have no information at this point if this adapter is DVI to ADC or DVI to VGA, but current information indicates that our DVI displays were DVI-D. This means they did not carry the VGA signal so the adapter would likely be DVI to ADC.

Todd
Apple Support Discussions

venom600
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2000, 12:13 PM

What point is there in an ADC to VGA adaptor? I mean the Cube and MP G4 have a VGA port already. The only way i can see needing a VGA adaptor is if you need to connect the CRT to a VGA port.

Forum Links
Forum Rules