Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > 61 Nobel Prize Laureates support Obama

61 Nobel Prize Laureates support Obama
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 01:00 PM

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/86/i39/8639notw10.html

61 Nobel Prize Laureates (of which there really aren't that many) wrote an open letter in support of Obama's stance on science and technology education. Not surprising given the Bush Administrations' habit of suppressing, distorting, or ignoring peer-reviewed scientific research.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 01:05 PM

"Nobel Prize Laureates"? Sounds like fancy words for elitists.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Maybe, but each every one of those people did someone so profound and noteworthy to further our understanding and compassion for the world around us, that they were awarded the Nobel Prize.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 01:20 PM

Unfortunately, any one who would be impressed by this was likely going to vote for Obama anyway.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 01:30 PM

Who cares what they think? That's like saying I'm voting Dem/Repub because my Mom and Dad did.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 01:31 PM

I heard Obama was a secret Muslim.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Who cares what they think? That's like saying I'm voting Dem/Repub because my Mom and Dad did.
Thanks for illustrating my point.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Maybe, but each every one of those people did someone so profound and noteworthy to further our understanding and compassion for the world around us, that they were awarded the Nobel Prize.
Or blew crap up. Arafat.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 01:36 PM

Al Gore and the anti-semite Jimmy Carter were two of the more reciept Nobel Prize winners. I think Arafat got a Nobel as well, didn't he?

Profound indeed!

Thanks, but no thanks. We'll add this to the Weather Underground's letter of support.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 01:44 PM

It's funny how us Repubs are considered lemmings, when the Dems so obviously are.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Al Gore and the anti-semite Jimmy Carter were two of the more reciept Nobel Prize winners. I think Arafat got a Nobel as well, didn't he?

Profound indeed!

Thanks, but no thanks. We'll add this to the Weather Underground's letter of support.

"Learn to swim"

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 02:17 PM

Let's see, scanning the letter now...

Abrikosov....Agre...Altman....Anderson...Axel... nope, no Arafat. I forgot, was Arafat's Nobel for chemistry or medicine?
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Oct 6, 2008 at 02:34 PM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 02:23 PM

...And this is why the Republican party is dying. Guys, when the American economy is falling apart, denouncing economists and scientists as all being elitists is not going to get you far. The American economy is built on science and technology, and if your party is going to survive you had better figure that out. If you want to live in the middle ages, move to Afghanistan and join the Taliban.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
The American economy is built on science and technology debt.
There ya go. Fixinatored.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 02:56 PM

...And this is why the Republican party is dying. Guys, when the American economy is falling apart, denouncing economists and scientists as all being elitists is not going to get you far.
Not "all". The guys Nobel selects, sure. They have a history of picking people for lefist political reasons. This "open letter" is a prime example of the type of political posturing those guys do and the reason their "science" comes up for doubt. When you mix politics with the search for knowledge, you just get a bunch of bulls***. It's not really a big surprise. Again, I'd throw their endorsement in the pile with the one from the guys at the Weather Underground.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 02:58 PM

Has anyone noticed that conservatives these days can't type the word science without putting scare-quotes around it?

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Has anyone noticed that conservatives these days can't type the word science without putting scare-quotes around it?
I hadn't noticed that. Has that been done in this thread?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 03:13 PM

Weren't these the same wankers who backed Gore and Kerry? Don't they just rubber stamp every Dem who runs for Pres?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I prefer the word "wanker". But, yeah, for the most part, you're right.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
I hadn't noticed that. Has that been done in this thread?
The post immediately preceding mine, for one.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Weren't these the same wankers who backed Gore and Kerry? Don't they just rubber stamp every Dem who runs for Pres?
The picked Gore and Kerry over George Bush? What a bunch of wankers.

How did that Bush guy turn out anyway? I don't pay a lot of attention to the news.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 03:19 PM

Looks like my satire was a little too accurate for my own good.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 03:22 PM

They support any Dem, it's been going on for decades. They're just another partisan organization, only they have some nifty jewelry and a few extra publications.
- Thomas Paine

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2008, 03:28 PM

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/86/i39/8639notw10.html

61 Nobel Prize Laureates (of which there really aren't that many) wrote an open letter in support of Obama's stance on science and technology education. Not surprising given the Bush Administrations' habit of suppressing, distorting, or ignoring peer-reviewed scientific research.
There is a ton of them now. Some 2000 won with the IPCC and can be called "Laureates." I know, I'm taught by some of the co-authors.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
How did that Bush guy turn out anyway?
Pretty good actually. Back in '99 I was predicting that this financial clusterfsk would hit in early 2001. It didn't, largely because Bush did a good job of averting it.

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cole
There is a ton of them now. Some 2000 won with the IPCC and can be called "Laureates." I know, I'm taught by some of the co-authors.
The article from the OP was a bit imprecise. All the Nobel laureates who signed the letter won their prize in science.

Originally Posted by stupendousman
They have a history of picking people for lefist political reasons.
Do you have any evidence whatsoever for this? I've never heard that before.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 03:52 PM

Do you have any evidence whatsoever for this? I've never heard that before.
Just get yourself a list of winners. Pick how many are noted conservatives and how many are noted liberals. Off the top of my head I picked out three liberal heroes who have gotten a Nobel in the past couple of years. I can't name single conservative at all.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 04:08 PM

Not "all". The guys Nobel selects, sure. They have a history of picking people for lefist political reasons. This "open letter" is a prime example of the type of political posturing those guys do and the reason their "science" comes up for doubt. When you mix politics with the search for knowledge, you just get a bunch of bulls***. It's not really a big surprise. Again, I'd throw their endorsement in the pile with the one from the guys at the Weather Underground.
Again....

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 04:10 PM

They support any Dem, it's been going on for decades. They're just another partisan organization, only they have some nifty jewelry and a few extra publications.
"They"?

The Nobel Prize laureates? Partisan organisation?

(if I'd say what I really think I'd get smacked on the wrist by vmarks)

"Learn to swim"

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
Again....

I laugh too when you drop your pants publicly. Your entertainment value knows no bounds.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Pretty good actually. Back in '99 I was predicting that this financial clusterfsk would hit in early 2001. It didn't, largely because Bush did a good job of averting it.
Oh he averted a crisis alright. LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE!

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Unfortunately, any one who would be impressed by this was likely going to vote for Obama anyway.
If you have a complete disregard to the quality of education in regards to the sciences and literature, then yes, you are correct. There wouldn't be enough Nobel Prize laureates in the world to convince someone otherwise who wants Creationism taught in the science classroom and books banned from the library because they offend your delicate nature.

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Who cares what they think?
They're generally considered the brightest minds in the world. I would think that would warrant some consideration of their opinions given the context of the letter. Maybe you should read it first before replying in this thread.

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
No. The two of you are, unsurprisingly, confusing the Peace Prize with that of the academic Nobel Prize in Chemistry, Physics, Physiology or Medicine, Literature, and Economics. While both are Nobel Prize, the Peace Prize is more of an honorary prize and is the most hotly debated given its political nature. All of the Nobel Laureates on that list are academic achievement prize winners which are awarded independent of any political, religious, or other personal beliefs.

The United States holds the most at 304 including awards for Peace, with maybe 150 of them still alive, 61 of which participated in this letter.

So, no, there are not a lot.

... the reason their "science" comes up for doubt.
Their "science" is not up for doubt, that is about as completely opposite to the reason why someone would receive a Nobel Prize as anyone could possibly get. I can't express myself enough in regards to your ignorance without risk of being banned again, so I'll leave it at that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 04:37 PM

They're generally considered the brightest minds in the world. I would think that would warrant some consideration of their opinions given the context of the letter. Maybe you should read it first before replying in this thread.

No. The two of you are, unsurprisingly, confusing the Peace Prize with that of the academic Nobel Prize in Chemistry, Physics, Physiology or Medicine, Literature, and Economics. While both are Nobel Prize, the Peace Prize is more of an honorary prize and is the most hotly debated given its political nature. All of the Nobel Laureates on that list are academic achievement prize winners which are awarded independent of any political, religious, or other personal beliefs.

The United States holds the most at 304 including awards for Peace, with maybe 150 of them still alive, 61 of which participated in this letter.

So, no, there are not a lot.

Their "science" is not up for doubt, that is about as completely opposite to the reason why someone would receive a Nobel Prize as anyone could possibly get. I can't express myself enough in regards to your ignorance without risk of being banned again, so I'll leave it at that.
Consider yourselves pwned by olePigeon.

Or maybe a Smackdown™ award in is order.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 04:43 PM

Just get yourself a list of winners. Pick how many are noted conservatives and how many are noted liberals. Off the top of my head I picked out three liberal heroes who have gotten a Nobel in the past couple of years. I can't name single conservative at all.
Most people would be embarrassed by the observation that their philosophy is unrepresented amongst the world's smartest people. Stupendousman on the other hand is downright proud. Makes you wonder...

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 04:50 PM

Your opinion is noted. The fact that they choose to involve themselves in left-wing politics speaks volumes. They aren't fooling anyone.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 04:57 PM

You know, the appropriate response here for conservatives is to say "just because they're smart in science doesn't mean they know the best political candidate." And they'd be right about that. They have their opinions like anyone else. I personally certainly wouldn't be swayed to vote for a Republican if Nobel prize winners endorsed McCain.

But that's not what the conservatives do, is it? They call these people, the world's best scientists, "wankers" and ridicule and put them down. They put "science" in quotes. They call them a partisan organization (Nobel laureates are not an organization at all) and compare them to terrorists.

It's truly pathetic.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 04:59 PM

Your opinion is noted. The fact that they choose to involve themselves in left-wing politics speaks volumes. They aren't fooling anyone.
It must be very warm and cozy for your head to be so far up your own ass.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 05:05 PM

Brightest minds? Perhaps, within a very (very) narrow scope. I've met several, and most are lacking in anything resembling common sense.

I'd be much more inclined to trust Altman with finding a new protein than endorsing a candidate.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Jealous?
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 05:10 PM

Which leaves 150-61=89 who will vote for McCain. WOOT !

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 05:12 PM

Jealous?
It would save me on my yearly knit-hat costs.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 05:14 PM

Oh he averted a crisis alright. LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE!
Now, I'm not totally down with US culture, so you're going to have to explain it to me. Did I happen across some kind of Pavlovian 'tard trigger with that phrase? 'Coz it seems that way.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 05:18 PM

Brightest minds? Perhaps, within a very (very) narrow scope. I've met several, and most are lacking in anything resembling common sense.

I'd be much more inclined to trust Altman with finding a new protein than endorsing a candidate.
I'm not fond of mixing politics with science, but I think the reason this particular letter was published was because the risk of having at least another 4 years of religious policy in regards to education. McCain and Palin are going to push for Creationism/Intelligent Design to be taught in science classrooms, and they may very well succeed if McCain becomes president.

This is reasonable concern among the academic population if McCain wins the presidency.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Which leaves 150-61=89 who will vote for McCain. WOOT !

-t
McCain & Palin represent all that is potentially wrong with the science curriculum. I'd wager very few (if any) will be voting for McCain.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Now, I'm not totally down with US culture, so you're going to have to explain it to me. Did I happen across some kind of Pavlovian 'tard trigger with that phrase? 'Coz it seems that way.
I've got news for you: Your comment would be universally ridiculed across all cultures.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 05:25 PM

I'm not fond of mixing politics with science, but I think the reason this particular letter was published was because the risk of having at least another 4 years of religious policy in regards to education. McCain and Palin are going to push for Creationism/Intelligent Design to be taught in science classrooms, and they may very well succeed if McCain becomes president.

This is reasonable concern among the academic population if McCain wins the presidency.
Neither has pushed for such a thing before and there's no indication that they would in the future. Not to mention, it's best when the Executive and Legislative branches are deadlocked, there's less chance they'll do something irrevocably stupid*.

(* the banking bailout being a notable exception.)
- Thomas Paine

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 05:25 PM

Why don't you give some evidence for your claim? If you can't give any, then admit it and give it up. Thanks. I can't think of any liberal heroes who have won a Nobel in science, not just in the last three years, but ever. Well, I guess Einstein is a liberal hero, but isn't he a conservative hero, too? Or am I wrong? You guys don't like Einstein!?

Moreover, a list of winners cannot provide good evidence for your claim that "They have a history of picking people for lefist political reasons [sic]." You need to give more evidence, because scientists tend to be biased to the left anyway.

Additionally,

Originally Posted by stupendousman
... the reason their "science" comes up for doubt
Can you give me a single Nobel science winner whose science has come up for doubt? I don't know of any, ever, but what do I know?

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton
Most people would be embarrassed by the observation that their philosophy is unrepresented amongst the world's smartest people. Stupendousman on the other hand is downright proud. Makes you wonder...

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2008, 05:29 PM

I laugh too when you drop your pants publicly. Your entertainment value knows no bounds.
I'm not the one with my pants down sir. That's you. And it's cold.

"Learn to swim"

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 05:36 PM

I've got news for you: Your comment would be universally ridiculed across all cultures.
So there's 'tards in every culture. Is this news?

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Wow..personal attacks. That's the type of thing that gives someone instant credibility. Thanks for making whatever point you where trying to get across totally meaningless via your inability to articulate yourself like a mature adult.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 05:50 PM

Why don't you give some evidence for your claim?
Where you incapable of meeting my challenge? Name a couple of known conservatives the past several years who have been feted by Nobel. Shouldn't hard. I named several known liberals right off the top of my head. If it's not a contest requiring bias, there should be no reason why a few die-hard conservatives can't be named.

People aren't stupid. This is like the defense of liberal media bias and liberal bias in higher education leadership. You can't defend it, so you pretend it's not there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules