Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sarah Palin Technically Jewish

Sarah Palin Technically Jewish
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 06:28 AM

Not that it matters much at all, but it seems Governor Sarah Palin is technically Jewish.

Her mother was of Lithuanian Jewish heritage, so by Jewish law at least she's a natural born Jew. According to those who have written on the topic, her father's mother was also a Jew, so she's Jewish on both sides, but her father was a devout Christian and raised his family that way.

It's also interesting that Michelle Obama's cousin is an Orthodox Jew.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Oct 10, 2008 at 09:04 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2008, 06:29 AM

So....

Jew = Good
Muslim = Bad

?

"Learn to swim"

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
So....

Jew = Good
Muslim = Bad

?
No need to be defensive. Just minor factoids I thought were interesting. From what I wrote, what made you think I was trying to convey such sentiments?

Oh, and what would Islam have to do with a discussion of Judaism and Christianity? None of the people I mentioned were/are Muslims.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Oct 10, 2008 at 06:42 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2008, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
No need to be defensive. Just minor factoids I thought were interesting. From what I wrote, what made you think I was trying to convey such sentiments?

Oh, and what would Islam have to do with a discussion of Judaism and Christianity? None of the people I mentioned were/are Muslims.
I was going to ask the same questions.

Obama is Muslim when his operatives want him to be, Christian when they want him to be, and not Christian when they want him to be. Obama is an amazing phenomena.
ebuddy

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I was going to ask the same questions.

Obama is Muslim when his operatives want him to be, Christian when they want him to be, and not Christian when they want him to be. Obama is an amazing phenomena.
And since it does not matter what religion you are, or whether you have a religion, who cares?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2008, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
And since it does not matter what religion you are, or whether you have a religion, who cares?
Well... that's a good question. If your eyes are moving to and fro for worthless forum banter, you're going to be a busy, busy person. They're just observations I guess.

As is often the case, more may have been made of one's post than is necessary?
ebuddy

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 08:17 AM

Do you think this will have any impact on the Jewsish vote, Big Mac?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 08:27 AM

Highly doubtful, Dakar. Most all of the Jewish voters who don't vote in lockstep for Democrats are already supporting McCain-Palin.

I wonder why Firefox is having difficulty displaying the link I have in my original post.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 08:30 AM

That's what I figured too, but I thought I'd check if you had any surprise insight.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2008, 08:36 AM

I wonder why Firefox is having difficulty displaying the link I have in my original post.
No luck w/ Safari either.
ebuddy

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 08:38 AM

It shows up in Safari for me, but I don't know what's going on. Is my URL code screwed up or something?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2008, 08:50 AM

It shows up in Safari for me, but I don't know what's going on. Is my URL code screwed up or something?
The URL code is
http://<br%20/>http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Sarah_Palin_Jewish

I found the part in bold curious. When I go to WikiAnswers and start with the question from scratch, I get the following URL;
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Sarah_P...alreadyAsked=1

Notice how VB didn't even pick it up in the first example?
ebuddy

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 09:04 AM

Interesting. Thank you for figuring out the issue.

andi*pandi
Oct 10, 2008, 10:10 AM

well that's interesting. I don't think it will sway many votes her way though, since she has not been raised jewish. A lot of jews have issue with intermarriage.

ok, maybe just my inlaws, but...

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 10:58 AM

Yeah, Sarah's situation shows one reason why we traditional Jews argue vehemently against intermarriage.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 11:54 AM

I'm technically Jewish because my mom was technically Jewish. However, no one on my mom's side was a practicing Jew since my great-great-great-grandmother (my great-great-grandmother emigrated from Germany to the U.S. during WWII and became an Episcopal Christian when she married my great-great-grandfather.) So in short, we're not Jewish anymore.

I'm also 1/8th Native American, but you have to at least be 1/4 to be considered Native American. My great-great-great-grandmother (on my grandfather's side) married a native American. We have several pictures of the wedding (some are glass).
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 12:29 PM

Yeah, Sarah's situation shows one reason why we traditional Jews argue vehemently against intermarriage.
Why? Intermarriage leads to an inability to articulate?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 12:31 PM

I don't see anything ungrammatical in that sentence. Perhaps you aren't reading it properly.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2008, 12:57 PM

^^ I think he was talking about Sarah, not you.

Though as a goy married to a Jewish woman, I do worry whether my children will one day be revealed, as Madeline Albright and apparently now Sarah Palin have been, as crypto-Jews.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 01:07 PM

No need to be defensive. Just minor factoids I thought were interesting.
I think that by posting this here instead of the non-political lounge, you automatically imply that you put some significance in the topic. If you really just find it "interesting" because of her celebrity rather than her politics, then why didn't you post there? Flame-bait?

It's not defensiveness to imply Big Mac believes that Muslims are unfit for the presidency, you've said so explicitly many times, prompted and unprompted.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
^^ I think he was talking about Sarah, not you.
Oh!!! Now I understand. I'll blame missing that on being up all night.

Though as a goy married to a Jewish woman, I do worry whether my children will one day be revealed, as Madeline Albright and apparently now Sarah Palin have been, as crypto-Jews.
It has to be inherently difficult for children of intermarriage, but I would say your primary obligation is not to confuse your children. It sounds like you're raising them Christian, which is bad for Jewry but better for them than if they were to be taught to straddle the fence between the two religions. Or, if you're at all comfortable with the notion, you could explain to them that by Jewish law they are Jewish.

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I think that by posting this here instead of the non-political lounge, you automatically imply that you put some significance in the topic.
I posted this thread in the PL because I expect that any conversation about Governor Palin will automatically turn political. I also don't think those in the non-PL want to be bothered with such trivial political factoids. Those are honestly the only reasons.

It's not defensiveness to imply Big Mac believes that Muslims are unfit for the presidency, you've said so explicitly many times, prompted and unprompted.
It is defensive to write what Sayf wrote when his reply had nothing at all to do with the content I posted. I mentioned nothing about Muslims in the original post either explicitly or implicitly, yet he tried to say I was somehow bashing Muslims. Unless there's some way for you to justify his implication that I was bashing Muslims in this thread (which he has yet to defend), I'll assume you understand my point.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Oct 10, 2008 at 01:34 PM. )

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2008, 01:44 PM

I also don't think those in the non-PL want to be bothered with such trivial political factoids. Those are honestly the only reasons.
But what if those in the PL don't want to be bother with such trivial political factoids?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 02:13 PM

It is defensive to write what Sayf wrote when his reply had nothing at all to do with the content I posted. I mentioned nothing about Muslims in the original post either explicitly or implicitly, yet he tried to say I was somehow bashing Muslims. Unless there's some way for you to justify his implication that I was bashing Muslims in this thread (which he has yet to defend), I'll assume you understand my point.
You don't have to bash Muslims every time you open your mouth in order for people to remember it. It's fair for people to assume you're using the same persona from one post to the next and one thread to the next. Honestly, if you start one thread about how merely being Muslim invalidates one person from the presidency, and then a year later you start another thread about how another person is Jewish and is on the ticket you're clearly voting for, how can you be surprised when they draw the conclusion that you think Jew=Good, Muslim=Bad? That is the clear implication, even if it's not the only possible interpretation.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 02:28 PM

You don't have to bash Muslims every time you open your mouth in order for people to remember it. It's fair for people to assume you're using the same persona from one post to the next and one thread to the next.
No argument there.

Honestly, if you start one thread about how merely being Muslim invalidates one person from the presidency, and then a year later you start another thread about how another person is Jewish and is on the ticket you're clearly voting for, how can you be surprised when they draw the conclusion that you think Jew=Good, Muslim=Bad? That is the clear implication, even if it's not the only possible interpretation.
I didn't know that was the clear implication. That wasn't the implication I was trying to convey, I assure you. As for the Jew=Good, Muslim=Bad equations, I never wrote that, and I would never state or imply that Muslim=Bad. I don't blame some for thinking I have such a simplistic view of Muslims since most of the content I post here pertaining to Muslims is negative in nature. I do admit that much, but that doesn't mean I'll allow my beliefs to be pigeonholed like the Muslim=Bad equation does. I also do have an affinity for my people, so to that extent Jew=Good for me, but that wasn't the message of this thread. I just thought it was a fact interesting enough to share - no ulterior motive - so you can either take me at my word or not.

andi*pandi
Oct 10, 2008, 02:43 PM

^FWIW, I think you sound very reasonable in this thread. Although this is coming from someone who is teaching her kids to "straddle the fence", we know it's difficult. Yet I think our kids are going to be well-rounded and can choose for themselves when older. Right now all we want is for them to be quiet and respectful in church/temple/the mall/heck anyplace.

Back to Sarah: If the Jewish thing isn't going to help her, are there any who think it might hurt her?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 02:47 PM

Seems unlikely. What's the negative connotation, and how would it circulate through the media?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
^FWIW, I think you sound very reasonable in this thread.
Thank you.
Although this is coming from someone who is teaching her kids to "straddle the fence", we know it's difficult. Yet I think our kids are going to be well-rounded and can choose for themselves when older. Right now all we want is for them to be quiet and respectful in church/temple/the mall/heck anyplace.
Although I don't recommend the dual-observance dance, it sounds like you're probably doing a pretty good job handling a complicated situation.
Back to Sarah: If the Jewish thing isn't going to help her, are there any who think it might hurt her?
It could hurt her with white supremacist/Neo-Nazi crowd. They may choose to stay home on election day rather than vote for McCain-Palin based on this story. The retards over at stormfront.org were discussing this story before I heard about it. But if it comes down to McCain winning or losing based predominately on their votes, I guess I'd rather have Obama win. Can you believe I actually wrote that?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 10, 2008, 03:17 PM

You don't have to bash Muslims every time you open your mouth in order for people to remember it.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
[IMGhttp://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2188/captainhyperbolelt1ui5.jpg[/IMG]
I think you're reading me wrong.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 03:39 PM

I think the statue of limitations on criticizing your post automatically expired when Big Mac replied to the statement.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 04:12 PM

Who's a statue? That be-spandexed fellow in the picture?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 04:42 PM

Spell-check thwarted me there.
Ahem, statute.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 04:56 PM

Big Mac, you sure seem to focus on someone's race and faith a lot don't you? Guess those two things matter to you a lot when selecting a candidate.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Big Mac, you sure seem to focus on someone's race and faith a lot don't you? Guess those two things matter to you a lot when selecting a candidate.
You sure seem to focus a lot on what I focus on, hyteckit. Take a break.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 08:26 PM

Ha, this was the headline I just read on Politico:

For Palin, some pork is kosher.

I think that should put the whole "Palin is Jewish" line to rest.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 08:32 PM

You sure seem to focus a lot on what I focus on, hyteckit. Take a break.
The more threads you start about things you focus on, the less grounds you have to expect people not to notice it.

Don't know if this will work...
http://forums.macnn.com/search.php?searchid=2004576

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Ha, this was the headline I just read on Politico:

For Palin, some pork is kosher.

I think that should put the whole "Palin is Jewish" line to rest.
Haha... I really thought it was about pigs and lipstick.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 08:59 PM

The more threads you start about things you focus on, the less grounds you have to expect people not to notice it.

Don't know if this will work...
http://forums.macnn.com/search.php?searchid=2004576
That makes zero sense.

Why would anyone start threads about things that don't interest them, that they'd 'focus on'?

Maybe some folks do need to take a break from obsessing about other posters on here.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Though as a goy married to a Jewish woman...
Man, for a minute there I thought you were going to get real unPC.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 11:53 AM

oooh, another reason for people to hate her, she's an evangelical cryptojew
45/47

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Why would anyone start threads about things that don't interest them, that they'd 'focus on'?
The real question is, why would you start threads about things you wouldn't like people to notice? Have you ever thought that if you'd rather not be noticed for your views, you could choose not to start threads here? I'm all for voicing your opinion, but to do so and then object when people pay attention to you is kind of retarded.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2008, 05:44 PM

It has to be inherently difficult for children of intermarriage, but I would say your primary obligation is not to confuse your children. It sounds like you're raising them Christian, which is bad for Jewry but better for them than if they were to be taught to straddle the fence between the two religions. Or, if you're at all comfortable with the notion, you could explain to them that by Jewish law they are Jewish.
That's the most racist thing I've read for a long time. I mean truly racist, not ethnic slur or innocent misunderstanding which leads to awkward situations.. bona fide to-the-core racist.

You know like racism at its purest is, that there is a classification of a group of people which you can be born into and thus be inherently different from other people. Not because of your choices, not because of your environment - only because of who your parents were.

I love it!!!!

I just honestly have not read anything like this for a long time - it was so pure. Almost an innocent-like racism. I applaud you, not many of you remain in the world.

Of course Mithras' children have no say in what they are and have no choice. They are Jews, whether they want to or not, whether their parents want them to be or not. They are just born Jews. It should be explained to them that they are of the People. They should know, because they can never be anything else than what they are born to be.

“Building Better Worlds”

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 11:17 PM

The real question is, why would you start threads about things you wouldn't like people to notice?
Who said he didn't want anyone to notice? Do you routinely just make up other people's positions on everything? The title of the thread is pretty clear, and the first line of the thread is "not that it really matters all that much."

Sayf then jumped in and interjected his own bullshit into the topic- thus demonstrating for you why this is in the Poli lounge (as if you didn't know.)

Have you ever thought that if you'd rather not be noticed for your views, you could choose not to start threads here? I'm all for voicing your opinion, but to do so and then object when people pay attention to you is kind of retarded.
Have you ever thought that if you can't can't comprehend what you've read, you could choose not to obsess over the threads other people start here?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2008, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani View Post
That's the most racist thing I've read for a long time. I mean truly racist, not ethnic slur or innocent misunderstanding which leads to awkward situations.. bona fide to-the-core racist.
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Not in the least. Could you point me specifically to what you deem as racist from the text you quoted? I said nothing of race and nothing of ethnicity. I said that I think it's probably better the person in question isn't confusing his kids by trying to raise them with a mixture of Christianity and Judaism. Nevertheless, they are technically Jewish according to Judaism's definition. Is that what you call racist?

You know like racism at its purest is, that there is a classification of a group of people which you can be born into and thus be inherently different from other people. Not because of your choices, not because of your environment - only because of who your parents were.
Ah, I see. Now I get it. Well, you can call that racism, but Jewish law that has stood for 3300 to 4000 years simply states that one is a Jew if one is born to a Jewish mother. One can choose to become a Jew through a formal conversion process, but those who are born Jewish are born Jewish through matrilineal descent. You can call that racist all you want, but it's not about race because there are Jews of almost every race on earth. It's just how the religion, which is heavily based on the concept of nationhood - the Nation of Israel - works. Most of us are the literal descendants of our nation's matriarchs and patriarchs. (My mother is from Levi, while I am from Judah because tribal affiliation is determined by patrilineal descent - just a side note.) Does that make it exclusive in respects (not counting conversions)? Certainly. Racist? Hardly. Let me ask you this, Wey, do you consider United States law to be "racist" just because those born of American parents are automatically deemed citizens of the United States?

I love it!!!!
I love simple, ignorant minds like yours!!! You're so "tolerant" you're actually a bigot without knowing it.

Of course Mithras' children have no say in what they are and have no choice. They are Jews, whether they want to or not, whether their parents want them to be or not. They are just born Jews.
Correct, according to Judaism those who are born Jewish are Jewish from birth to death, whether they (or you) like it or not. That doesn't mean all natural born Jews are necessarily going to practice the religion or even know their technical status within it, but the religion still considers them to be Jews.

It should be explained to them that they are of the People. They should know, because they can never be anything else than what they are born to be.
They don't have to consider themselves Jews. They can be anything other than what they're born to be. They can belong to other religions (many of mixed marriages do) or profess no religion. They may never find out they're technically Jewish, or they may find that out later in life like Madeline Albright did. They can consider themselves Christians or Muslims, or Hindus, or Buddhists, or Atheists, and they can live whatever way they choose to live. But technically, according to the religion of their birth, they are still considered Jews.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Oct 11, 2008 at 11:46 PM. )

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani View Post
That's the most racist thing I've read for a long time.
You must not have read much lately (not surprising)- there's not even the mention of race in anything you quoted.

Politically Correct nonsense at its finest.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 11:39 PM

It is believed that many here in AZ and NM of Spanish ancestry, are the descendants of Conversos. The only way to know for sure would be DNA testing for the Cohen marker.
45/47

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2008, 11:41 PM

Interesting, I had not heard that before. But we shouldn't talk about the Kohen gene or we'll get WY all riled up again.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Who said he didn't want anyone to notice?
Um, someone noticed and he objected. Is it that hard for you to put 2 and 2 together?

The title of the thread is pretty clear, and the first line of the thread is "not that it really matters all that much."

Sayf then jumped in and interjected his own bullshit into the topic- thus demonstrating for you why this is in the Poli lounge (as if you didn't know.)
That's a self-fulfilling prophesy. Anything you read in here, you can assume the poster holds a position on it. If you saw a die-hard liberal post something about McCain being half-gypsy or a closet homo and the commentary was just "not that it really matters," can you honestly say you wouldn't *ask* if they had an axe to grind? The first reply didn't assume, it *asked*. Taking umbrage at that is being oversensitive. Methinks he doth protest too much.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 11:52 PM

Interesting, I had not heard that before. But we shouldn't talk about the Kohen gene or we'll get WY all riled up again.
We'll have to sick Ripley on WY
45/47

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2008, 12:09 AM

Um, someone noticed and he objected. Is it that hard for you to put 2 and 2 together?
So you're saying that I can't create a new thread here on anything regarding Judaism without expecting someone to derail the thread by bringing up Islam out of the blue and making inaccurate assertions about my beliefs, due to my previous posts?

The first reply didn't assume, it *asked*. Taking umbrage at that is being oversensitive. Methinks he doth protest too much.
I write something about someone being technically Jewish even though they practice Christianity, and someone else says that my message supposedly is Jew=Good, Muslim=Bad. I said nothing about Islam, either explicitly or implicitly. None of the people I mentioned were or are Muslim. And I didn't even write anything that could be construed as a value judgment about any religion, at all. Nothing of the sort. Still, based on what they think of my previous posts, someone has to derail this new thread with a discussion of whether or not I am anti-Muslim. Do you really think that's justified or called for?

Forum Links
Forum Rules