Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > when was the iMac last updated?

when was the iMac last updated?
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 10:28 PM

Sorry to ask this but when was it last updated. I'm trying to decide if I should buy an eMac now, or wait and get an iMac. (assuming its fairly soon)

thanks!!!!
Kent

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2003, 11:58 PM

The iMacs were last updated February 4, 2003.

Cheers!
Chris

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 12:17 AM

thanks Chris!!!

Paul Stephen C.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 07:58 PM

Last iMac update was the "Spring" iMac early February, although we had to wait for it!

The options were 15" or 17" with various internal options, like bluetooth etc. The 17" 1GHz is the obvious preference (if you have the cash) and save up for the max Apple RAM if you can - it's a bit more expensive, but not much, and you save bother with upgrading later. (There is only one upgradeable slot).

You will love it!

I suspect the next serious upgrade will be a 1.4Ghz 17", then the new 740 processor, but we have a long while to wait for that, as the iMac already challenges the pro line.

Next upgrades will be eMac 1Ghz as the new entry level (good value), then PowerMacs with new processors, then last of all iMacs, as they currently represent best value in the entire Mac range (with possible exception of the new 12" iBook)

You guessed - I'm an iMac fan!
"The best lack all conviction,
while the worst are filled with a
passionate intensity" (Lou
Reed's version of a Yeats quote)

slider
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 12:35 PM

Well, I think I got my Dad seriously considering finally upgrading from his 333 iMac to at least an eMac sometime in June. Personally I would like him to get an iMac, but not at the prices they stand now. I would like to see an upgrade iMac at MacWorld NY, or whatever they are calling it now. I think the 17" is the way to go, but not for $1800 or not at 1Ghz with the combo eMac coming in at $999 with similar specs. Apple deviates from cycles quiet often, the one that always stands out in my mine is the iBook when it when from clam shell to what we have today, it hadn't been too long since an earlier release of the iBook SE. I eMac is looking great and will definitely do for what he needs to do, but an upgraded iMac is the preferred option for longevity.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 02:46 PM

I doubt we'll see a 1.42GHz iMac, at least not with the same chip that's shipping in the towers. Have you seen the heat sink in those things?! I'm guessing that the 1GHz chip is the same lower-voltage version that's in the PowerBooks, and that may be the fastest low-power chip Moto is shipping. If faster chips were available, I think Apple would have introduced the 17-inch PowerBook at 1.25GHz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules