Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to best sell off an old clone?

How to best sell off an old clone?
neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2001, 06:01 PM

OK, I'm getting ready to replace my heavily-upgraded PowerCurve with a new machine (or two ) running X.1 (which is what I've really been holding out for for the last couple of years or so.)

So, when I head off to Ebay, am I better off selling the whole thing as a bundle, or piecing it out? Or should I bundle some things but not others? My goal is obviously to get as much total money as possible, but I'd also like to sell everything off as quickly and easily as possible (conflicting goals, I realize.)

I've got:

PowerCurve
XLR8 400 MHz G3 card w/1 MB cache @ 200 MHz
Rage 128 PCI
Orange Micro Ultra-SCSI PCI card
IBM 9GB Ultra-SCSI drive
XLR8 dual-USB PCI card w/Point and scroll mouse (I was actually considering keeping the mouse)

I'll keep the CD-ROM (24x or something like that) and 96 MB DRAM bundled with the machine in any case, since they're virtually worthless on their own.

Any input appreciated!

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2001, 09:01 PM

You aren't going to get that much for the machine regardless, so it probably pays to sell it out in one package. If you need every last penny. you might get more by parting it out. But then again, you might not. Who wants a machine without a hard drive or with the original CPU card (which would have to be upgraded, anyways)? $4-500 is probably the max, and that might be a bit high these days.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2001, 12:52 AM

Unfortunatly clones, upgraded or not, aren't worth much on the market, except for people that like tinkering around with them. Clones were in vogue when they were being made, but as soon as Apple's more recent OSes weren't officially supported and the owners of clones generally found that they were not nearly as well built or used quite as good a level of parst as a genuine Apple machine, they lost value fast.

You certainly aren't going to get a profit out of this sale. Kind of like a car, you might be better off putting it in a corner and running it as a file server or firewall/Internet gateway if you don't feel that selling it off will give you an appropriate amount of value.

Either way, it won't gain you much by parting it out. My sense is that only works for older PowerBooks. Either sell it as a whole or keep it and use it for something low level.

maclove
Aug 4, 2001, 12:59 PM

That is true u won't get to much for you're computer. How much for the computer anyway $...

maclove
Aug 6, 2001, 01:02 AM

How much are u thinking of selling email me: [email protected]

neilw  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2001, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the responses. I certainly have no expectation of recovering what I paid for all this, just didn't want to make a totally bonehead decision about how to sell it. As it stands, it's a pretty usable system, so I suppose keeping it together makes some sense.

Maclove, I sent you email.

<Mad_Hatter>
Aug 8, 2001, 05:58 AM

Donate it to someone (family, school, senior center?) that could enjoy it for email and web. I have a friend that needed a PPC to replace or add to his Centris and Quadra and SE/30 so he got a 7300 but now needs video card and the only thing out there is the Radeon (which may not work well) and might be interested in ATI Rage, the SCSI drive.

If I'd seen this Friday I'd have made an offer for the whole system just for parts. Might still if price was right.

Email me:

[email protected]
(7300/200,2GB/CD/Zip/32MB)

Valentine
Aug 8, 2001, 12:11 PM

You could go to www.macofalltrades.com and at least check on how much they will offer for your system. I sold an iBook 300 to them about a month ago, fair price (albeit wholesale) and quick transaction. Received my money within 5 days of them receiving my unit.

mattstoton
Senior User
Sep 5, 2001, 08:07 AM

How much is it? You'll probably get more for its component parts than for the computer.

Thanks,
Matthew
New sig coming soon. Yes, it will violate the sig guidelines :p

Forum Links
Forum Rules