Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My brief Beats X earphones vs Apple AirPods; also mountain biking

My brief Beats X earphones vs Apple AirPods; also mountain biking
mindwaves
Oct 29, 2017, 05:35 AM

Bought Beats X and immediately hated it. 2 weeks in and they experienced red light of death and I had to send it in for repair/replacement. Took 2 weeks. But even that, that wire that joined the 2 wireless earbuds bugged me. I couldn't wear the earphones without a collar shirt because I could stand the feeling of the wire along my neck. And that wire was unnecessarily long. Really don't understand why it has to be that long. Also, that wire has some significant weight in it so if it draped too long on my back, it would pull/strain the earphones from my ear, which is a minor annoyance, but any annoyance nevertheless. Lastly, folding the earphones into the included carrying case was a yoga exercise in disguise.

I went to find my Beats X today but somehow misplaced them. I decided to buy the Apple AirPods and wow, they are so, so much better than Beats X. No cumbersome cord anymore and the dental floss carrying case that comes with it is much smaller than the tangled mess that is Beats X. Highly recommended so far.

I've used with my MacBook Pro 13" only so far.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Oct 29, 2017 at 05:54 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2017, 10:19 AM

I presume you mean the wireless Apple AirPods and not the wired EarPods? If so then I wholeheartedly agree. The AirPods are awesome! I use mine daily. My primary use cases are in the gym, bike riding, and as a BT headset when talking on my iPhone. Lookin forward to streaming Apple Music directly with my Series 3 Apple Watch to my AirPods so I can leave my iPhone in the locker or at home when working out!

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2017, 12:29 PM

I need to try a pair. I have ear holes which don't fall within the human average.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 29, 2017, 01:16 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:58 AM. )

mindwaves  (op)
Oct 29, 2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I presume you mean the wireless Apple AirPods and not the wired EarPods? If so then I wholeheartedly agree. The AirPods are awesome! I use mine daily. My primary use cases are in the gym, bike riding, and as a BT headset when talking on my iPhone. Lookin forward to streaming Apple Music directly with my Series 3 Apple Watch to my AirPods so I can leave my iPhone in the locker or at home when working out!

OAW
Yes, correct. I have edited my post now. As for fitting, they seem to fit well. But I'm never going to use them for walking or running. Just for when I'm sitting down and/or moving about the house or office (might use in bus sometimes). Chance of losing them in this manner is slim.

OreoCookie
Oct 29, 2017, 07:02 PM

AirPods are my favorite Apple product in 3-5 years (since the iPhone 4S). They are not the best sounding headphones, I have B&O H6 if I want high fidelity, but boy, are they amazing. I use them for sports (mostly cycling but also running), walking around and they really free me up.The fact that they are not in-ear or over-ear headphones, that they do not isolate me from my environment is crucial. They are super light and the design is really clever. What if I want to share a video or audio phone call between family, my wife and me? I take one out and give it to her. What if I am listening to a podcast and the battery is low? I put one AirPod in the charging case, wait for a few minutes, swap and they get a bit of a charge without me having to wait.

The only time when I had a duh moment was when flying: I forgot my HE6 and I had to use the really crappy headphones to watch movies like an animal.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2017, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Yes, correct. I have edited my post now. As for fitting, they seem to fit well. But I'm never going to use them for walking or running. Just for when I'm sitting down and/or moving about the house or office (might use in bus sometimes). Chance of losing them in this manner is slim.
Naturally YMMV. But I’ve never once had an AirPod fall out while on a treadmill, jogging indoor/outdoor, or cycling. I very soon stopped worrying about it altogether. It may seem counterintuitive but the AirPods are actually LESS likely to fall out than the wired EarPods. The absence of a wire being tugged on by gravity or getting snagged on something makes all the difference in the world.

OAW

OreoCookie
Oct 30, 2017, 10:16 PM

My experiences mirror OAW's, even on rocky downhill descents they stay securely in my ears. (I'm not saying hardcore extreme sports MTB downhill, but you get pretty well shaken, not stirred.) The only time they are in danger of falling out is if one of the helmet's straps gets snagged on the “antenna” bit. I just make sure to tug them under the straps and then usually they are fine. Running has definitely not been a problem, although I run far less than I cycle.

Of course, just like with anything you wear, no ear bud shape fits everyone, and it is a hard problem to create an ear bud shape that fits as many ears as possible.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2017, 10:43 PM

You wear earphones when you mountain bike? What sort of heathen animal are you?

OreoCookie
Nov 2, 2017, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
You wear earphones when you mountain bike? What sort of heathen animal are you?
I spend a lot of time on the road, and I usually turn off music when I have to focus on riding due to either traffic or because I am doing a technical descent (which is rare)*. Most of my riding is on really, really calm roads in Japan's countryside, so I usually keep my Airpods in my ears. This way, when my wife calls, I can immediately pick up with a double tap on my ears.

* Since in the mountain bike-friendly areas we have bears, I often blast music through my iPhone speakers just to give Yogi a heads up that I'm coming.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2017, 04:17 PM

Actually, keeping one AirPod in to answer the phone when it’s in the backpack/pocket is a pretty good idea.

While doing a technical descent, of course.

(Also you can get a little movement bell for trail riding - I have a Timber bell to warn hikers and they really appreciate it - I bet the bears would too...it would give them time to plan for the killing blow)

OreoCookie
Nov 2, 2017, 10:50 PM

Actually, keeping one AirPod in to answer the phone when it’s in the backpack/pocket is a pretty good idea.

While doing a technical descent, of course.
Yes, nothing beats saying “I love you!” to your spouse while hitting the dirt Very often, I am also a bit too lazy to take them out to be honest, and they do not block too much sound from the environment. Especially when I wear my skull cap underneath my helmet, they sit very snugly and securely in my ears, surprisingly well I have to say. Initially I wanted to buy one of those rubber bands that links the two AirPods, but at least I don't need such cumbersome contraptions.
(Also you can get a little movement bell for trail riding - I have a Timber bell to warn hikers and they really appreciate it - I bet the bears would too...it would give them time to plan for the killing blow)
I have one actually
Especially the new one I bought in Canada works very well. I'm not sure how much of a warning bears get when I descend, though. Initially I didn't see what the deal was, but when I saw my first (and so far only bear) in the wilderness here, I quickly bought one.

BTW, what kind of biking do you do?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2017, 11:05 PM

I was going to make a joke, but apparently Asian black bears are kinda mean. American ones are total pushovers.

It's argued to be due to our lack of tigers.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2017, 11:12 PM

I mountain bike......trail ride only, not really interested in pavement

OreoCookie
Nov 3, 2017, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I was going to make a joke, but apparently Asian black bears are kinda mean. American ones are total pushovers.

It's argued to be due to our lack of tigers.
Yeah, I have seen that, too. (And maybe they feel like they have to compensate for their lack of size.) And I have seen some bike tourists getting too close (they wanted to take a photo of one on the side of the road) … and they learnt their lesson, including the all-important one: how fast do you have to be to outrun a bear? Well, faster than the other guy.

Fortunately for me, when I saw the bear there was about 100-150 m between us, and as I was going uphill when going towards the bear, I went downhill fleeing from him. I didn't turn around to see whether the bear actually follow me, but if you are hurling down a rocky forest road at night at 35-40 km/h, you better keep your eyes in front.

That reminds me: I was in Banff, Alberta, this September, and apparently with grizzlies, you should remain calm while when you see a black bear you should take an imposing posture. Or perhaps it was the other way around … 

@The Final Shortcut
I wish I could only do classical (cross country and a bit of trail) mountain biking, but there are virtually no trails and hiking paths suitable for cycling. I will probably get a cyclocross or gravel bike next.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2017, 07:34 PM

Bought some AirPods, loved them, had them about a week, case fell out of my pocket somewhere. Gone.

Sucked.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
@The Final Shortcut
I wish I could only do classical (cross country and a bit of trail) mountain biking, but there are virtually no trails and hiking paths suitable for cycling. I will probably get a cyclocross or gravel bike next.
Huh - I always just thought Japan would probably have good trail riding. Or is it just your area?

I’m trail bike only - not interested in anything besides grinding up a hill so I can go back downhill fast....

OreoCookie
Nov 5, 2017, 10:09 PM

Huh - I always just thought Japan would probably have good trail riding. Or is it just your area?
Japan has beautiful mountains and you can do epic road rides. Yesterday, I spent an amazing day in the hills and small mountains nearby, covered in different shades of red, orange and yellow. But a lot of the mountains are not accessible, a lot of paths are not maintained at all and terminate abruptly. Others are too steep and technical to ride (at least for me). Next year I plan to buy a cross bike, I reckon that will shift the challenge and make the easy downhills much more challenging and allows me to more easily keep up with more of the road bike crowd.

Shops here in Sendai and also in Fukuoka where I used to live rarely sell serious mountain bikes, some people buy them for their looks in the same way that other people buy SUVs.
I’m trail bike only - not interested in anything besides grinding up a hill so I can go back downhill fast....
My technique sucks, although I wish I could practice more. So uphill is where I seek my challenges. How are your trail skills?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Bought some AirPods, loved them, had them about a week, case fell out of my pocket somewhere. Gone.

Sucked.
Aww man that sucks donkey balls!

OAW

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2017, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
My technique sucks, although I wish I could practice more. So uphill is where I seek my challenges. How are your trail skills?
Pretty good I think! I started biking late in life in my 30s, so I’ll never have great bike skills like effortless manuals, bunny hops, wheelies etc, or good air skills - you need to start as a kid for that stuff. I’m not super fit so I’m content to slowly grind up the climbs, but I’m pretty fearless and can charge most downhill trails as well or better than the next guy on a full sus bike....

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post

Sucked.
And I just managed to lose my AirPods last night somehow. Retraced all my steps and went back to the two stores I was in just to see if someone happened to turn them in to no avail. On my way to the Apple Store now to pickup my replacements. Not happy.

OAW

Ham Sandwich
Nov 21, 2017, 09:16 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:01 AM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2017, 04:01 PM

^^^

Glad to hear it’s working again for you. And I’m pleased to report that after losing my AirPods and purchasing another pair I managed to locate them. A little inconvenient making another trip across town to the Apple Store to return the new ones but all’s well that ends well.

OAW

reader50
Administrator
Nov 21, 2017, 04:53 PM

@OAW, were they anywhere interesting?

I've occasionally left things in whacko places. Milk jug in the pantry. It had shelves like a fridge. Figured it out a few minutes later. A tape measure in the shower wall. Didn't find that one until a few years later.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
@OAW, were they anywhere interesting?

I've occasionally left things in whacko places. Milk jug in the pantry. It had shelves like a fridge. Figured it out a few minutes later. A tape measure in the shower wall. Didn't find that one until a few years later.
Interestingly enough I looked in all those "interesting" places. The fridge. The pantry. Kitchen trash can. Dumpster in the backyard. Recycle bin in the garage. My car. Bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen. Went by two stores I visited the evening I lost them. After buying a new pair when I got home something told me to check this bucket in the storage room where I keep all my tools. Because I was using them the day before setting up a new 4K TV I had just purchased (and then had to return cause it was defective). On the way into the storage room I walked past my downstairs bathroom. And there they were ... laying right there on the counter top! I went through the main areas of the house multiple times and couldn't find them. Turns out the night before I fell asleep on the couch watching TV. Apparently, I must have went downstairs to drain the weasel before going to bed and put them on the counter. I was so sleepy I didn't even remember going down there until I saw them laying there!

OAW

OreoCookie
Nov 21, 2017, 07:03 PM

Welcome to the club of AirPod owners. I often forget the charging cradle in the toilet. Sometimes my wife steals it because my AirPods look just like hers (true dat).

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2017, 11:23 AM

Sadly, I've never had a pair of Apple earphones that could stay in my ears. I smile and they fall out. I'd lose at least one airpod down a storm drain in the first week.

Unlike the OP, one of the things I love about the Beats (I have the PowerBeats 3) is that the cord keeps them around my neck so I can't lose them.

Also: Let's face it, Apple headphones aren't really known for great sound quality. At $200, I want some sort of fidelity. (and also to be fair, you aren't going to get that without a wired headphone, so we are in a time period of trade offs now anyway.)

Also: (My opinion alone) while I recognize some people like the look of the Airpods, I really hate the look of the little stick coming out of my ears.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2017, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Also: (My opinion alone) while I recognize some people like the look of the Airpods, I really hate the look of the little stick coming out of my ears.
Recognizing that this is a matter of opinion as you've stated, but I've never understood this position. The wired EarPods have the "little stick coming out of my ears" too. They just also have a "skinny wire extending from the little stick".

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2017, 02:48 PM

Tried on a pair today. Definitely feel loosey-goosey.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2017, 05:28 PM

I heard about a nifty trick where you take the fabric-y 3M Nexcare tape, use a hole punch to make four tiny pads, stick ‘em on, and then they’re grippy. They theoretically still fit fine in the case.

Then I remembered I can’t ****ing stand headphones. I have no reason to buy these things.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 16, 2018, 08:16 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:45 AM. )

mindwaves  (op)
Feb 25, 2018, 08:43 AM

Although I do like wireless, I find it troublesome to pair each and every time I use my AirPods with my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. Because I use a different device each time, it is a bit troublesome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules