Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > shocking?

shocking?
ramenite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2002, 09:56 PM

ok, here's a new iBook problem...shocking. Anyone one else get a small but noticable electric shock when they pick up their ibook? I'm not sure if it's a problem that Apple can/would fix or not.

I don't know to send the whole system back. My power adapter is already somewhat broken in it won't turn amber anymore when the battery is charging.

This is my first mac, and I really enjoy coding on it(have an IRC client coming out sometime before summer) but I didn't expect things to be coming apart on me.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2002, 10:08 PM

If it's near a lot of other electronics this does happen sometimes, yes. In fact, when it does this, usually the trackpad gets really really slow for me. However, it only happens when I have the iBook near the VCR, TV, and stereo system all at once.

Try keeping yourself well grounded and don't rub your feet on the carpet

Any other ideas?

anna katzner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2002, 10:12 PM

just where do you get that electrical shock? the iBook's casing is mainly plastic....

i've heard about this kind of problem with the TiBooks, but with an iBook? 's a new one on me.

i'm not ruling out anithing, but have you considered that it might be your carpet? 'specially in the winter (when air-humidity is low due to heating) shuffling over a carpet may load you with a lot of volts. next time you touch something that's properly grounded you get a shock.

if that's what it is: no big deal. just shows that your iBook is properly grounded (and well insulated , too, 'cause you can easily fry microcircuitry with this kind of electrical discharge).

just my 2�,
anna

Carolus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2002, 11:51 AM

I got something like this too, but only when I touched the live USB / Firewire connectors.
Was a very light shock, so I agree it could be an interaction with your own body's built-up charge..
Nothing-to-worry ;-)

Caro
* iBook 600 *
and loads of oldie Macs ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules