Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Newer MBs look more promising

Newer MBs look more promising
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 04:31 AM

So after sending my 1st MB back because of various issues, including 75+ idle temps, my new one arived today.

In short, what a difference! I have been running this machine for around an hour now, just web browsing, iTune-ing and stuff, and my idle temperature is 51oC. Under full load, running yes > /dev/null for 15 minutes, my temps get up to just 72oC. Great!

Also, there is no moo (horrah!), there is however a slight whine, but that never bothered me. The build quality is also better -trackpad button is 10x better, and also the lid is much better aligned with the main body of the laptop. The keyboard is also much more sturdy.

Also, the combo drive is quite a bit quieter, and so is the hard drive. Overall, this MB is now fantastic!!

Just thought some of you might like to hear something positive for a change
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2006, 05:14 AM

That's how my MB has been working since day one. And I got one from the very first batch (since I ordered two hours after they were announced). I'm assuming you just got a lemon the first time around.

Glad you're happy with your new MB!

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 07:31 AM

I seem to be getting high 70's for heavy workloads (ripping a DVD / iTunes). Is that considered above normal? Your report is making me think twice. :'( I'm going to try letting this cool down for a bit, check temperatures, then do that full load thing you noted and report back later today.

Harris: Were those reports from running your MB on AC or on batteries? I think that makes a difference as well.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 07:37 AM

AC: 70-75°C while running 5-10% CPU loads, iTunes, Safari, etc.
Batteries: Same, maybe a bit higher.

This apparently cannot be normal? Ehhhh

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 08:00 AM

As I've previously said before. I think Rosetta apps cause the system to read temperature wrong. Download a few things using something like Cabos. Watch your temp. Close it, watch the temp immediately drop several (in my case 10) Celcius. If anyone was running any kind of Rosetta app and checking their temp I'm pretty sure it would display differently, or higher.

hatim
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by phillryu

Its normal...Mines currently 64. Idle is 54 and full 100% + 100% running BOINC is 85-92. And I guess thats normal for now.

hatim
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 08:04 AM

Its normal...Mines currently 64. Idle is 54 and full 100% + 100% running BOINC is 85-92. And I guess thats normal for now.

hatim
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 08:05 AM

hatim
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 08:05 AM

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 08:07 AM

How is mine normal? I was nearly running idle, and had almost 150% of the temperature you're reporting.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
As I've previously said before. I think Rosetta apps cause the system to read temperature wrong. Download a few things using something like Cabos. Watch your temp. Close it, watch the temp immediately drop several (in my case 10) Celcius. If anyone was running any kind of Rosetta app and checking their temp I'm pretty sure it would display differently, or higher.
No Rosetta apps running at all. Just iTunes, Safari, VirtuDesktops, and Menuet, all UB apps.

phillryu
Mac Elite

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
No Rosetta apps running at all. Just iTunes, Safari, VirtuDesktops, and Menuet, all UB apps.

phillryu
Mac Elite

MacNN is really having some problems today isn't it. I also notice my post count has remained the same for a while.

Kavik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 08:17 AM

So after sending my 1st MB back because of various issues, including 75+ idle temps, my new one arived today.
Hey harrisjamieh-- What week build was your replacement MB?

Kavik
Fresh-Faced Recruit

deleted

Kavik
Fresh-Faced Recruit

deleted

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 20, 2006, 09:38 AM

I just picked up a previously opened week 23 MacBook base model last night at the Apple store. Tonight I'll give it a good once over and check out the temperatures as well. So far from my 90 minutes of usage (to reinstall OS X) it seems like a solid laptop. Even found 3 wireless networks I didn't know existed somewhere in the vicinity of my condo.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jun 20, 2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
That's how my MB has been working since day one. And I got one from the very first batch (since I ordered two hours after they were announced). I'm assuming you just got a lemon the first time around.

Glad you're happy with your new MB!
Ditto!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 11:48 AM

I seem to be getting high 70's for heavy workloads (ripping a DVD / iTunes). Is that considered above normal? Your report is making me think twice. :'( I'm going to try letting this cool down for a bit, check temperatures, then do that full load thing you noted and report back later today.

Harris: Were those reports from running your MB on AC or on batteries? I think that makes a difference as well.
sounds like my laptop! I hope its normal

i usually hover around high 60' to mid 70's

So far I am happy with the temps... as long as she doesnt overheat..
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

hatim
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 11:48 AM

How is mine normal? I was nearly running idle, and had almost 150% of the temperature you're reporting.
Try running BOINC and then see what you get. Below 95 is fine IMO.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kavik
Hey harrisjamieh-- What week build was your replacement MB?
Its a week 23 build. My original was week 20.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 08:41 PM

Try running BOINC and then see what you get. Below 95 is fine IMO.
Considering that 100 degrees celsius is the maximum operating tempurature that the Core Duo is rated for, 95 degrees makes me rather ansy. Only 5 degrees more and it'll start to damage the processor.
Linkinus is king.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2006, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Considering that 100 degrees celsius is the maximum operating tempurature that the Core Duo is rated for, 95 degrees makes me rather ansy. Only 5 degrees more and it'll start to damage the processor.
It won't damage the processor.

First of all, if Intel specs the CPU up to a temp of 100C you can be sure it won't suffer damage at 100C. It would probably not start to suffer until you reach something like 120C (there's always a safety margin). Secondly, if the CPU would actually overheat, the system will do a forced shut off to prevent damage from happening. You can relax.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2006, 04:25 AM

In addition, I believe Intel specs the Core Duo to 125° C

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 05:49 AM

Which versions are yours? This is my third with the same entries, and
still i have the whine problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Machine Name: MacBook
Machine Model: MacBook1,1
CPU Type: Intel Core Duo
Number Of Cores: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (shared): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.005F.B00
Serial Number: ****************
SMC Version: 1.4f8
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by hsl
Which versions are yours? This is my third with the same entries, and
still i have the whine problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Machine Name: MacBook
Machine Model: MacBook1,1
CPU Type: Intel Core Duo
Number Of Cores: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (shared): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.005F.B00
Serial Number: ****************
SMC Version: 1.4f8
You tell the 'version' by what week it was built. This can be determined by the serial number, ie the start of my SN is 4H623, meaning my MB was made in the 23rd week of 2006. As I said above, mine does have a whine, but its never bothered me, like the ''moo'' did, so I don't mind it. The ONLY defect my MB has is in fact the whine... oh, and the RAM levers are barely spring loaded, where as the ones on my old MB were, but they still function fine.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 06:02 AM

mhmm,.. mine is 4H624 :/
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 06:08 AM

Glad you posted this, Harris. It is encouraging to read about a positive replacement experience. You should post this up on our board as well.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
You should post this up on our board as well.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by hsl
mhmm,.. mine is 4H624 :/
china/2006/week24

Kyros
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 09:09 PM

My powerbook (last 12 inch model, it was before the 15 and 17 inch got an "update," but as far as I know the 12 inch was left alone) maxes out at about 63 °C, and that's after hours of running the CPU at 100%. 95 °C is almost boiling, whether or not it hits the specs, it sounds awfully hot.
g4/1.5 GHz 12 inch powerbook / 1.25 RAM / 80 gig / Superdrive / 10.5.6
g3/400 MHz Pismo / 640 RAM / 40 gig / Combo Drive / 10.3.9

Skeptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2006, 01:51 PM

So after all this time Apple haven't been able or willing to fix the 'whine' problem.
Phwah!

Railroader
Banned
Jun 26, 2006, 02:58 PM

Bought my MB Saturday and I have yet to hear a whine. This thing's dead silent as long as i am not using the optical drive.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Bought my MB Saturday and I have yet to hear a whine. This thing's dead silent as long as i am not using the optical drive.

Does your CD/DVD drive make a loud noise when accepting / ejectcing disks? I am reminded by of Curly from the Three Stooges - given the high pitched sound my MB makes.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Railroader
Banned
Jun 27, 2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
Does your CD/DVD drive make a loud noise when accepting / ejectcing disks? I am reminded by of Curly from the Three Stooges - given the high pitched sound my MB makes.
No, just the typical optical disc spinning up sounds. Not "loud" and not and certainly not certainly not high pitched.

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2006, 06:34 PM

Just got a standard white 2gHz MB. I confirm it has absolutely NONE of the early reported problems. Screen draws correctly with 512MB. Top case doesn't discolor (yet). Doesn't overheat, but I still use an old Podim Pad (helps for other reasons, too). Speakers sound okay to me. Hasn't crashed, no kernel panics, etc. Battery lasts 5hrs. Trackpad and button work perfectly as advertised.

Darkest screen setting is too bright at the bar. 1/4 bright is fine in the shade outdoors.

Only thing i notice is barely visible scratches on exterior from my old Brenthaven backpack, and I'll guess they rub out.

Case
Jun 28, 2006, 03:03 AM

I herd it was like only the "early adopters" who experinced the worst of the problems, this true? I mean are the chances good that I will get a bad one? Hope not because i plan on ordering mine next week!

soulboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 04:52 PM

As my serial number starts 4H622 have I got an earlier build ? I have an interest in how hot my macbbok runs, this is the 3rd one I have had, the last one was replaced due to overheating during an overnight charge (enough to mark the table it sat on). But I am new to Macs and don't know how to get the info you guys seem to get. I still use a laptop, intel proccessor,windows operating system and the macbook is amazingly quick and very quiet against this.Have not noticed any mooing, whines or any other noises, except when running cd/dvd's. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.A new Mac convert.

Forum Links
Forum Rules