Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bootcamp Keyboard/Mouse Issue

Bootcamp Keyboard/Mouse Issue
doolally
Sep 18, 2006, 09:34 AM

Hilo,

So, it looks like I got XP installed a-ok, I can boot into OS X fine or boot to Windows and get a sparkling login box. The only issue I have is that when I get to that Windows login box, my keyboard and mouse are not recognized.

I've tried the standard Apple USB Keyboard/Mouse combo, and a Saitek Keyboard and Logitech Mouse, and am getting no joy.

This seems like such a simple problem to fix, but when I search for an answer, I get buried under a deluge of 'other' Bootcamp problems. This issue seems like one of the lesser ones, and most folks are having more serious troubles.

Does anyone have any insight?

advaTHANKSance

dool
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 09:49 AM

I've had PCs that don't occasionally recignize a USB mouse or keyboard. Have you tried disconnecting them and plugging them back in?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

dvmorris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 08:41 PM

I havea similar problem. I installed the 1.1.2 upgrade , and it crashed while installing the drivers, and once the login screen came on the reboot, the keyboard and mouse were both stuck. then i did a repair installation on top of the original, and it gets to "34 minute remaining" , and the usb mouse i tried out stops working right when it asks about installing a driver.

i can't find any posts here describing the same problem. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks,
dave

LeChuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 08:12 PM

I am having a very similar problem and can't find an answer to it.

I have installed XP with SP2 using BootCamp 1.1.2 on an Intel iMac.

XP installs fine but when I install the drivers from the Apple CD, when I get to the message about the graphics card driver being unsigned, the USB ports stop functioning. The system is not frozen, but keyboard and mouse are dead (USB Apple keyboard and Apple or Logitech mouse). I can restart XP by simply pushing the power button, which causes XP to close and restart.

The extra problem is that, the keyboard is also unresponsive during the XP boot, meaning I cannot "press a key to boot on CD", or press F8 for safe/repair mode.

Getting into OSX (holding the option key then choosing OSX) then going into BootCamp to ask it to restart a Windows installation has the same result: Windows boots and pressing a key to start on CD doesn't work.

When that happened the first time I repartitioned and reinstalled a fresh copy, but now my backup machine is gone (this iMac is a replacement for an older iMac G5) and there's no way I'm going to play with repartitioning again without being able to backup my data first....

Anyone has had a similar issue (not on a laptop, not with wireless or bluetooth keyboard).

Funny thing is everything seems to be peachy until the install of the Apple drivers.

LeChuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 11:45 AM

OK, I think I've fixed this and here's what I did for reference.

From the office I brought home a standard USB keyboard (from Dell) and a standard USB mouse (no wireless). Replacing the Apple keyboard and my other mouse with these in Windows did nothing to help.

However, the Dell keyboard was recognized during Windows bootup and I was then able to press a key to start on the CD. I then did an install/repair of Windows (really like a reinstall).

Once Windows was setup, still with the Dell keyboard and mouse, I installed the Apple drivers. This time it all went well without losing the peripherals.

HOWEVER, after the drivers were installed, Windows would just constantly fail and restart on its own after 10 seconds of use. I then booted into safe mode and used the system restore to the point right before the drivers installation. Rebooted into normal Windows and things were fine again. Clearly something is wrong with the drivers.

After some fiddling around to figure out what could be wrong, I reinstalled the Apple drivers again, this time *without* letting it install the display drivers.

Before rebooting, I went into the hardware manager and disabled anything bluletooth. I read that there are issues with it and I don't have any bluetooth hardware.

After rebooting, things were ok, but of course without ATI drivers. Whether that is due to bluetooth being disabled or the display drivers, I am not sure, but it looks like there is some kind of conflict between the video card and the Intel chipset.

Anyway...after rebooting, I went to look into what the apple drivers installed into the Program Files in Windows, and found 2 ATI folders containing drivers. I installed what was in the 048 folder, which seems to be a Radeon driver (as opposed to Radeon Mobility). After reboot, things were fine with driver installed and desktop in high resolution, no crashing.

I still have to use it long enough to see if it's stable and have not used an application yet, but it seems to work.

Now for info, it looks like the Parallels Tools for BootCamp do not install properly in the case of Windows XP Corporate, so I ahven't been able to access that partition with Parallels in OSX.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue. Oh, something I forgot, I haven't yet tried Windows again with the Apple keyboard and mouse. Kinda scared to.

Kajo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 12:52 PM

I am having this same problem.

15" Macbook Pro
XP Pro with slipstreamed SP2

Windows loaded fine, no errors. I got into windows and proceeded to put the mac driver cd in. As soon as the ATI drivers brought up the screen "Are you sure you want to proceed, this driver is not digitally signed" the mouse/keyboard no longer worked.

I tried rebooting with/without usb keyboard and mouse with no change.

LeChuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 03:44 PM

See what i wrote just above your post.

I had to *reinstall* with the new keyboard and mouse, not just reboot. The problem in your case is that since you have a laptop, you can't reinstall without the Mac keyboard.

Kajo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 04:14 PM

I actually unplugged all my USB devices (standard mouse and apple keyboard) and reinstalled. I didn't have the same problem again. Not sure what the deal is.

LeChuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 12:28 PM

Update on my installation for those with an iMac: I did reconnect the apple keyboard and Logitech mouse under Windows. They were detected and installed without a problem. However, the Apple keyboard is still not recognized during Windows boot so in order to be able to use a keyboard during boot, I have to keep the Dell connected, and with Parallels for Bootcamp, it is necessary to make some choices with the keyboard at boot time.

djrdan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2007, 07:31 AM

17"iMac
2Ghz intel core2duo
XP SP2
I'm not really sure what is fixing the problem for me. I had the same difficulties as everyone is describing, but its always been intermittant. However just now I tried to approach the problem, I booted and rebooted about 5 times, just waiting for it to work, nothing happened. so I looked up on this forum and someone mentioned about bluetooth. The only changes I made were to go back to my Mac OS and turn off all bluetooth functions, booted up with Apple keyboard and mouse, and nothing happened except that this time when I unplugged and plugged my keyboard in, the keyboard kicked off and I was then able to hit enter on the "automatically install drivers", it did three driver installs and pronto I am writing this from windows....

It doesn't really explain it, but maybe it narrows the problem,

good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules