Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Inauspicious Beginning

Inauspicious Beginning
Orion27
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 04:27 PM

Obama gave his first press conference and it does not auger well. Tense, unsmiling and tentative,
this is clearly a man over his head. The hardest question about tax increases was not answered but elaborated at length on hardball question about pets for his girls. He did mention that American Intelligence has improved since 911 but needs further work. He did not instill much confidence to say the least. He did have a dozen string pullers at his side, mostly prominently from the Carter Administration.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 04:29 PM

Wow, first post in 10 months.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2008, 04:29 PM

He looked calm, cool, and collected to me.

And he actually knew all the reporters real names.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 04:32 PM

I think you mean augur. Considering what you say in the rest of your post, I'd say that in your estimation Obama did indeed auger.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 04:36 PM

I saw footage of him eating breakfast and the way he was holding his spoon was hardly Presidential. Did we make a mistake?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Orion27 View Post
Tense, unsmiling and tentative,
this is clearly a man over his head.
"tense, unsmiling, and tentative" = deliberate, serious, and thoughtful.

"a man over his head?" mccain admitted he doesn't know anything about economics. and we all know president bush couldn't hold down a press conference about economics.

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 04:43 PM

BO never said if still had plans to raise income and cap gains taxes.
45/47

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 04:55 PM

Very auspicious beginning.

I was drawn in by his serious and thoughtful demeanor. How utterly refreshing, a serious president who thinks, who isn't given to a series of dumbass one-liners and skimming the surface whilst smirking all the way through. I can understand why this kind of behavior (O's) may be jarring to some who have been conditioned to expect otherwise. Substance. You'll get used to it.

The grown-ups are in charge, (almost) woo hoo! deal with it
( Last edited by BlueSky; Nov 7, 2008 at 05:23 PM. )

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2008, 04:57 PM

Two things stuck in my mind.
1) He referred to himself as a mutt
2) That an idiot reporter EVEN tried to ask him about classified breifings...

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
And he actually knew all the reporters real names.
They were on the sheet in front of him. Watch him look down each time for their name, then ask it for their question. Seating chart anyone?

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

Helmling
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Very auspicious beginning.

I was drawn in by his serious and thoughtful demeanor. How utterly refreshing, a serious president who thinks, who isn't given to a series of dumbass one-liners and skimming the surface whilst smirking all the way through. I can understand why this kind of behavior (O's) may be jarring to some who have been conditioned to expect otherwise. Substance. You'll get used to it.

The grown-ups are in charge, (almost) woo hoo! deal with it
I'll second that. I just watched it and I am enormously encouraged to have Obama assuming the office next. Obviously, I remain concerned about how well any of these stimulus proposals can work and how we can afford them after nearly a decade of run-away spending under Bush, but there's no one from the field of potentials who sought this office that I think I would rather see stepped up to the helm in January.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 06:07 PM

There was a lot of pausing and stammering in that press conference. He is in over his head, and the danger is that he's so arrogant he won't care. I also think that picking Rahm Emanuel, who has a voting rating that is 96% liberal (about as liberal as you can get) and who says that "Republicans can fsck themselves" isn't exactly setting a new, post-partisan tone in D.C.. But whatever, you guys picked him, and I'm trying to take a break from the PL anyway.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
There was a lot of pausing and stammering in that press conference. He is in over his head, and the danger is that he's so arrogant he won't care. I also think that picking Rahm Emanuel, who has a voting rating that is 96% liberal (about as liberal as you can get) and who says that "Republicans can fsck themselves" isn't exactly setting a new, post-partisan tone in D.C.. But whatever, you guys picked him, and I'm trying to take a break from the PL anyway.
That pausing is commonly known as "thinking." It's something Presidents used to do a lot.

Don't worry, if you give it time you won't even notice that the President is thinking,
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lint Police View Post
They were on the sheet in front of him. Watch him look down each time for their name, then ask it for their question. Seating chart anyone?
Hey, guess why they call those two reporters "The Andes!"
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
That pausing is commonly known as "thinking." It's something Presidents used to do a lot.
Ah, thank you for the info. So when President Bush has trouble speaking he's a moron/retard, but when Obama does it he's "thinking." I see.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Gee-Man
Senior User
Nov 7, 2008, 06:38 PM

Ah, thank you for the info. So when President Bush has trouble speaking he's a moron/retard, but when Obama does it he's "thinking." I see.
Bush didn't get his reputation for saying dumb things from pausing or stammering. He got it from the dumb things he actually said.

You may not like Obama's speaking style, but the substance is there (even if you disagree with it). There is no comparison here.

And for the record, I don't think and never thought that Bush is a moron or retard. He's just a really, really bad public speaker, and he doesn't think before he speaks all too often.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 06:39 PM

big mac

where have you been the last 8 years?

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 06:43 PM

It's a matter of what comes out the other side after the pause, that's the trick in telling the difference. If something of substance comes out, bet on thinking. If something else comes out that inspires the collective wince of a weary nation, it's most likely the shallow utterances of an empty-suited idiot going through the motions.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
big mac

where have you been the last 8 years?
MacNN, why?

tie
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2008, 07:22 PM

Big Mac clearly prefers a president who doesn't think before answering a question. Why he would prefer such a president is a mystery…

You guys are missing the big story here. Complaining about Obama thinking before answering a question makes it sound like you don't think yourself. The real story is that Obama said before the election that he would hold his first news conference on Wednesday if he won the election. Instead, he had an intelligence briefing on Wednesday and waited until Friday to hold the news conference. This is the first flip-flop of many to come.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 07:28 PM

I'm not too sure guys. I'm not the best public speaker in the world, but I can usually multitask so that the words come out fluidly enough. That's a quibble though. I just see it as a humorous that there's such a double standard.

I'm wishing President Elect BHO well. I just don't have high hopes.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2008, 07:38 PM

I'm not too sure guys. I'm not the best public speaker in the world, but I can usually multitask so that the words come out fluidly enough. That's a quibble though. I just see it as a humorous that there's such a double standard.

I'm wishing President Elect BHO well. I just don't have high hopes.
What kind of multitasking are you referring to?

The kind where he BS's the question for a bit before he gives a real answer?

Or the kind where he bends time and space so he can know the question before the reporter asks it, and then think about an answer while he answers the previous question?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 07:41 PM

I'm talking about hearing a question, taking a couple of seconds to formulate an answer, and then spitting out said answer without pausing and stammering a number of times through it. Also, when a reporter asks whether you still plan to raise taxes on upper-income people, you shouldn't try to evade and return to talking points from your campaign. Give a straight answer - it's not like you're trying to win any more votes now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2008, 08:03 PM

I'm willing to bet your public speaking skills would drop dramatically if you were speaking as the president elect in front of millions of television viewers.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 09:06 PM

BO phoned and apologized to Nancy Reagan for the seance crack
45/47

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 09:43 PM

All 9 of the reporters he took questions from? Yep, I'm impressed.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Nov 7, 2008, 09:54 PM

It was a lame joke. I'm glad he apologized.
On the other hand, it's infinitely lamer that Drudge Report had to start hyping this off-hand joke as the MOST IMPORTANT HEADLINE EVAR!!!! In typical Drudge style. Why does anyone still listen to that hack? Sheesh. If this is how it starts, it's gonna be a long 4 years.

Far right, hardcore conservatives aren't impressed by Obama! News at 11.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2008, 10:00 PM

C'mon guys, cheer up! Turn those frowns upside down! I will buy you all an ice cream, and we'll stay up late and watch cartoons!

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 10:18 PM

^^^^^
yeah guys and gals!

This is our next president on January 10, 2009.... President of all the United States of America!!!!

GOOOOOO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!USA!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 11:11 PM

Guess Obama is going to lose the Presidency to McCain because a few conservative/Republicans were not impressed with Obama.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I agree. He should have taken questions from at least 10 reporters. WTF was he thinking?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2008, 12:16 AM

9 is the symbol for the devil... 3+3+3 or (6+6+6 if you really look at it ::wink::

i know that i know that i know this ...um... really is it!

Jesus is coming back within a year (or by 2012--we know it's not ...um... christian but it's useful!) with a new haircut, wardrobe

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2008, 01:06 AM

The difference is, when Bush tried to think, nothing happened.

How's the wilderness?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2008, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post

Don't you mean b HUSSEIN o?

You guys are going off message.

I thought the bit about the dog was a good stab a dry, self-deprecating humor.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2008, 01:57 AM

Okay, I finally watched it. I did not notice Obama hesitating or stammering an inordinate amount. He did dodge the tax question, but the premise of it was kind of dumb (Obama personally passes tax law?). The "board of shadowy figures" behind him was kind of silly looking.

Everyone needs to chillax. Like Obama said, Bush is (still) the president for the time being.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2008, 02:04 AM

I wonder how much practice it takes for any candidate to make the adjustment out of campaign mode in his/her speeches/question answering immediately following an election?

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
It's a matter of what comes out the other side after the pause, that's the trick in telling the difference. If something of substance comes out, bet on thinking. If something else comes out that inspires the collective wince of a weary nation, it's most likely the shallow utterances of an empty-suited idiot going through the motions.
When asked if he had to talked to any other presidents Obama replied he had "..... talked to all the presidents who were living..." Doh! How thoughtful.. Then to cover his ass he went on to make some scurrilous untrue remark about Nancy Reagan. What a thoughtful and gracious man.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2008, 10:29 AM

When asked if he had to talked to any other presidents Obama replied he had "..... talked to all the presidents who were living..." Doh! How thoughtful.. Then to cover his ass he went on to make some scurrilous untrue remark about Nancy Reagan. What a thoughtful and gracious man.
Yeah, that was wince-inducing. "Inartful" is the proper euphemism, but it lacked tact, for sure. Despite it being a dumb-ass remark, I'm glad he was able to admit that it was a mistake & apologize. That in itself is a rare quality.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2008, 10:38 AM

Being able to apologize, to admit errors in action or judgement, is a sign of maturity.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2008, 11:01 PM

this is clearly a man over his head.
Don't fret; he'll be out of office on 1/20/09.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2008, 11:38 PM

Huh. I watched the whole press conference, and I didn't see a man over his head, either. Then again, I can't see Russia from here. Was it Putin doing that rearing thing?

Forum Links
Forum Rules