Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Urgent!! Keynote Nightmare!!

Urgent!! Keynote Nightmare!!
Buck_W
Senior User
Jul 18, 2004, 01:50 AM

I just finished working on a Keynote presentation for church tomorrow morning. I placed a 1.76 GB .dv (movie) into it. It played great. I saved it. It took awhile, but it saved fine. But I made the mistake of closing the file and Keynote application and now it will not open. When I double click on the file, Keynote begins to open it, but right near the end, the application simply quits.

My fear is that I do not have enough memory to handle such a gigantic file. I'm working on a 15" TiBook with 768 MB of SDRAM. I really need this presentation in the morning. Can anyone help with a work around???

Thank you!
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 02:44 AM

Keynote files are actually folders that contain the various things you've inserted into them. Control-click on your Keynote file and choose "Show package contents." Root around in there for the gigantic file, and take it out. Now see if the file will open.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 03:04 AM

Furthermore, if it does open, export the movie to a MPEG-4 or Sorenson 3 video in Quicktime player before re-inserting it into your presentation.

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Jul 18, 2004, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Keynote files are actually folders that contain the various things you've inserted into them. Control-click on your Keynote file and choose "Show package contents." Root around in there for the gigantic file, and take it out. Now see if the file will open.
That worked!!! Thank you!
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2004, 11:43 AM

Keynote has another quirk with video clips. You have to tell it that it should save clips as part of the file (or package) when you save. I have made the mistake of moving or deleting my clips and then not being able to show them when I open the presentation. Keynote just looks for them in the folder they were when you added them to the presentation unless you tick the box to do this.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Jonesy:
Keynote has another quirk with video clips. You have to tell it that it should save clips as part of the file (or package) when you save. I have made the mistake of moving or deleting my clips and then not being able to show them when I open the presentation. Keynote just looks for them in the folder they were when you added them to the presentation unless you tick the box to do this.
I would argue that it's a user quirk, not a Keynote quirk.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by Jonesy:
Better than PowerPoint's habit of loosing track of movie clips altogether (most especially on the Windows versions).
Any time the presentation and the movie are transfered to a new location, even if the two are kept in the same folder, you have to manually reinsert the movie every frickin' time.
I know on the PC there is the Pack & Play or what ever its called, but its terribly clunky and easier to just reinsert the damn video.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2004, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Better than PowerPoint's habit of loosing track of movie clips altogether (most especially on the Windows versions).
Any time the presentation and the movie are transfered to a new location, even if the two are kept in the same folder, you have to manually reinsert the movie every frickin' time.
I know on the PC there is the Pack & Play or what ever its called, but its terribly clunky and easier to just reinsert the damn video.
All I'm saying is that this is something you need to be aware of. If you take your presentation on a USB stick and find you have left your video clips behind then you look pretty stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules