Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Audio help needed, my speakers are underpowered

Audio help needed, my speakers are underpowered
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 02:49 PM

Today I came into two sweet speakers for dirt cheap. They are Genesis Media Labs model G 2815.

First off I have no idea why there are two sets of terminals on the back: (forgive crappy photo)

Besides that they sound great, except for some rather lackluster bass from the 12" subs in the speaks. I figure that it's because the speakers are rated for 500W max and my entire receiver only puts out 415W.

It's a Pioneer VSX 5300 and I can always take a snap of the inputs/outputs in the back if needed.

I am thinking about amplifying the new speakers or selling them. The only problem is that I have zero idea about what to look for. I'd hate to buy an amp only to find out it won't work with my jazz at all.

I ask you, faithful NN audiophile <cough>G4ME<cough>, to help me ascertain whether or not it'll be worth it to make my new speakers sound better.

Thanks ahead of time.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 02:56 PM

Nice SNES carts.

Have you considered trying BOSE®?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 03:01 PM

BOSE is way to good for me.

And I knew that you'd appreciate my innovative use of SNES carts.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 03:03 PM

So, who was remanded to your dirty work?

(Which carts?)

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 03:10 PM

The 2 sets of terminals are so you can bi-wire them!!!

How to Bi-Wire Speakers
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 03:39 PM

What if the copper dealy that connects both terminals cannot be removed?

dav
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 04:16 PM

i'm thinking the amp in your pioneer receiver is having a hard time with the 4ohm speakers, so you'll need a new amp. and i wouldn't bother with the bi-wiring nonsense.
one post closer to five stars

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 04:50 PM

Bose sucks. I would invest in a new reciever. That Pioneer is pretty weak nowadays. Any new reciever should work just fine with those speakers. Harmon Kardon has a new reciever that is $299 and it's very high quality.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Bose sucks.
So does your humor detector.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 4, 2007, 05:15 PM

Bose sucks.
Are you new here?
I would invest in a new reciever. That Pioneer is pretty weak nowadays. Any new reciever should work just fine with those speakers. Harmon Kardon has a new reciever that is $299 and it's very high quality.
Not if they are 4Ω.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 05:17 PM

n/m those connectors came right off, though after wiring it as per the instructions, it didn't sound any different.

I'm fairly novice at it so I'm going to re-do the whole thing again just to make sure I didn't miss a monday detail.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 05:19 PM

4Ω eh?

I'm not big into buying a new receiver so would there be any cheaper way to boost my system other than buying a whole new unit?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
So, who was remanded to your dirty work?

(Which carts?)
Sim Earth, Stunt Race FX, Mario Kart, and Mario All-Stars.

The last two are games that I enjoy so I can always swap them out for the various other games I have.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 05:25 PM

Bose sucks. I would invest in a new reciever. That Pioneer is pretty weak nowadays. Any new reciever should work just fine with those speakers. Harmon Kardon has a new reciever that is $299 and it's very high quality.
Anything under, say, 200 bucks that you would recommend?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 05:38 PM

don't take the copper connecting plates off UNLESS you are going bi-amp them. make sure the sets of unused binding plugs are screwed down and making connection with the plate. all the contacts must be touching.

my polk manual clearly states that. what is going on in most cases is that the top set of binding posts connects the mid and tweets, the bottom set of binding posts is just too the woofer. when bi-amping them, you can then have a separate amp to run the woofer and mid/tweets. more power where you need.

with just one amp for the entire speaker, the copper plate must be making complete contact to work or you will get poor to no results and it will sound like crap.

as for your receiver, check to make sure you don't have an ohm selector. many early pioneers had a selector in the back for 4 or 8 ohm loads.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 05:49 PM

couldn't find anyplace online that doesn't charge for the owners manual or i would look it up for you. do you still have the manual?

Railroader
Banned
Jun 4, 2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
4Ω eh?

I'm not big into buying a new receiver so would there be any cheaper way to boost my system other than buying a whole new unit?
The problem is the that there is not enough resistance and you could overload your receiver. You could wire them in series (if you had 2 for each channel) and then the load would be 8Ω.

If I am remembering ohms law correctly, you are essentially dividing your stereo's 415 watts by two. 8Ω/4Ω=2

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 05:58 PM

Nope, no manual.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 4, 2007, 06:00 PM

The Yamaha RX-397 will handle 4Ω, but it is only 100 w and is $299.95 MSRP.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 06:07 PM

hmmm, this site says the selector switches are a joke: Connecting 4-ohm Speakers to an 8-ohm Receiver &mdash; Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News

hahaha; i didn't know that.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 4, 2007, 06:13 PM

I guess they are just there to keep the UL guys happy.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 06:22 PM

Railroader, the way I currently have them hooked up is the "A" outputs are powering the mids and tweets and the "B" outputs are powering the subs.

is that what you were talking about?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 06:22 PM

I have the selector switch and it is set to 4Ω and up.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 06:51 PM

those channel A and B buttons just let you drive two pair of speakers. if you have both A and B selected, you lose 1/2 your power.

don't use B, only run A. put the copper connectors back on the binding posts and tighten down the unused pair. run only 1 pair of wire to the top sets of binding posts to your A binding posts on the receiver.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 07:15 PM

This here Yamaha is the one that we have. It's a pretty good reciever. Yamaha RX V457 - AV receiver - 6.1 channel Reviews. A/V Receivers Reviews by CNET.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
those channel A and B buttons just let you drive two pair of speakers. if you have both A and B selected, you lose 1/2 your power.

don't use B, only run A. put the copper connectors back on the binding posts and tighten down the unused pair. run only 1 pair of wire to the top sets of binding posts to your A binding posts on the receiver.
Thanks!

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 08:05 PM

This here Yamaha is the one that we have. It's a pretty good reciever. Yamaha RX V457 - AV receiver - 6.1 channel Reviews. A/V Receivers Reviews by CNET.
Very tempted to buy that right now, I might have to sleep on it.

Thanks to you as well!

Railroader
Banned
Jun 4, 2007, 08:16 PM

Railroader, the way I currently have them hooked up is the "A" outputs are powering the mids and tweets and the "B" outputs are powering the subs.

is that what you were talking about?
No, for what I was talking about you'd need four speakers. I was saying you should hook two of them up in series on each channel so the resistance would add up and equal 8Ω on each channel. I was being a little facetious.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 4, 2007, 08:20 PM

Very tempted to buy that right now, I might have to sleep on it.

Thanks to you as well!
I'd contact Yahama and make sure that receiver can handle 4Ω. Most cheaper receivers can't.

The one I posted earlier is verified by Yahama on their site to handle 4Ω speakers. But it is only 100 watts.

It also has a very low THD spec.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2007, 08:44 PM

8 ohm monster should power 4 ohm boxes, surely? Just don't turn it up past half way or the tweets will spaz out at all the distortion.

(I'm guessing. I can't even remember that last time I used a passive speaker system).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
8 ohm monster should power 4 ohm boxes, surely? Just don't turn it up past half way or the tweets will spaz out at all the distortion.

(I'm guessing. I can't even remember that last time I used a passive speaker system).
Correct, sort of. It depends on the reciever, but sometimes you don't have to turn it up very much to get distortion though.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 10:08 PM

hmmm, this site says the selector switches are a joke: Connecting 4-ohm Speakers to an 8-ohm Receiver &mdash; Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News

hahaha; i didn't know that.
I'm confused after reading that link, can my older receiver safely run set to the 8ohm or higher setting?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 07:59 AM

my take on the article is yes, you can safely run having it set at the 8 ohm or higher. but, don't operate the receiver at full power (max volume). the receiver will draw electrical power to compensate and may end up overheating, you don't want that. keep it at a lower volume.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 08:49 AM

Sim Earth, Stunt Race FX, Mario Kart, and Mario All-Stars.

The last two are games that I enjoy so I can always swap them out for the various other games I have.
I was always curious about SimEarth. I loved SimCity. Stunt Race was fun at the time but I find the FX chip make the game virtually visually unintelligible at this point.

I hooked up my SNES in the bedroom a month ago and spent a few weeks playing soccer before I went to bed.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2007, 12:30 PM

my take on the article is yes, you can safely run having it set at the 8 ohm or higher. but, don't operate the receiver at full power (max volume). the receiver will draw electrical power to compensate and may end up overheating, you don't want that. keep it at a lower volume.
Sweet, no problem with the volume since I've never turned it past half anyways.
( Last edited by sek929; Jun 5, 2007 at 12:37 PM. )

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2007, 12:35 PM

I was always curious about SimEarth. I loved SimCity. Stunt Race was fun at the time but I find the FX chip make the game virtually visually unintelligible at this point.

I hooked up my SNES in the bedroom a month ago and spent a few weeks playing soccer before I went to bed.
Sim Earth was kinda lame, I did manage to actually finish a game where the evolved 'men' had a huge global war and trashed the planet. They then blasted off in spaceships and left the cold, dead world.

Sim City 2000 was much more engaging for me, but using a D pad to scroll around your city is absolutely maddening.

Stunt Race FX was the shiz back in the day, but the frame rate gets so slow that it's almost unplayable at times.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 12:39 PM

I remember continually doing laps with the cycle on one of the time trials, trying to get a lap into the 12s.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2007, 12:53 PM

The main draw for me was vehicles with googly-eyes.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 12:54 PM

Actually, you don't. You have ONE stereo amp and a away to connect one or two pairs of speakers to that one stereo amp.

Pitch the Pioneer, and get a Crown Power amp ( and pre-amp & tuner) that WILL work fine down to TWO OHMS.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 12:55 PM

It was the 3d levels. The demo where they show your car in the glass underwater tunnel was awesome.

Actually a lot of the levels were cool.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 01:07 PM

Wow. Stunt Race FX brings out a lot of painful memories. I went to the store to buy that game and when I returned, I learned that half of my best friends family had been killed in a car accident.

Every time I see my copy or see it mentioned anywhere, it reminds me of that day.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 01:08 PM

Jesus Christ.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
Actually, you don't. You have ONE stereo amp and a away to connect one or two pairs of speakers to that one stereo amp.

Pitch the Pioneer, and get a Crown Power amp ( and pre-amp & tuner) that WILL work fine down to TWO OHMS.
yes it does. the A button drives pair 1, the B button drives pair 2. both selected drives both pairs. some receivers don't allow both A and B, but i believe this pioneer does. who said anything about it have 2 amps? nobody. when you are trying to do twice the load with the same amount of power, it has to decrease.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 03:09 PM

NOT when your talking about ONE set of speakers. Connecting the A to the mid & tweet and B to the woof just bypasses the crossovers.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Are you new here?
Bose is way to expensive and not that great sounding IMO. I've heard Polk and Klipsch and JBL speakers that cost less than half of Bose stuff and sounds the same or better.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 03:35 PM

God you suck

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2007, 04:22 PM

Bose is way to expensive and not that great sounding IMO. I've heard Polk and Klipsch and JBL speakers that cost less than half of Bose stuff and sounds the same or better.
Since you clearly didn't get the memo, BOSE is a running joke around here.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post

The Pioneer was in the basement when I moved in and therefore was 100% free.

Unless a Crown receiver is 250 or less then I ain't interested.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2007, 04:26 PM

It was the 3d levels. The demo where they show your car in the glass underwater tunnel was awesome.

Actually a lot of the levels were cool.
I remember many a race where I went flying off the half pipe things into the water. Even the city course was cool too, man, if the framerate wasn't so godawful I'd play that shiz right now.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 04:29 PM

I seem to remember a trick with the gay yellow car where you could enter the tube area, except on its edge, whereby all your wheels would be off the ground and it'd progress along slowly in this odd humping motion.

Obviously, you'd need to see it to understand, but that's not going to stop me from pointlessly trying to describe it anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules